Thread: TiLite ZR as a Sport Chair?

TiLite ZR as a Sport Chair?

I was at my DME and asked him about Sport Chairs and he said I could buy a TiLite ZRA and use as it a sport chair as well. All I'd need is another camber tube with the desired camber and they can make a wing for the front and a wheel for the back. Sounds interesting. Has anyone tried it before?
    Never Give Up!

Would you use the ZR as your everyday chair too? I am not sure what the benefit would be to use a non sports chair for your sports chair. If you are going to spend the money on the ZR...why don't you just buy the sports chair?
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

I would not EVER consider using a ZRa as a sports chair, extra camber tube and wing or not! If you are planning on playing an impact sport in a Z frame chair you are missing a lobe (no offense, it is the DME who is lacking in the thought dept). Take one hit just right and you have completely bent your frame. Look at ANY of the good sports chairs and they are not Z frame, they all have a box frame to absorb impact and keep the chair squared.
    Also, your seating in a sports chair is different than in an everyday chair. Your seat height, dump (some sports players prefer an inverse dump in their sports chair), backrest height and angle, seat width, footrest position, etc are all different in a custom sports chair. I think that if you got a ZRa and had it double as a sports chair, the extra camber tube, wing and rear anti tip would be collecting dust shortly, and you would bite the bullet and order a dedicated sports chair.
    Mandy
    ~Mandy~
    SCI as a result of spinal surgery
    TiLite Aero Z!!!

Really?! Ok what sport chair would you recommend? I've never used on before and I would like one that is adjustable.
    Never Give Up!

sounds like your DME is just trying to sell what he has is stock and/or knows he can make money on. If you are paying out of pocket, or applying for a grant to pay for a sports chair you do not have to use a DME. If he doesn't play wheelchair sports he won't have a clue. And by the sounds of things that is the case.

I don't play wheelchair basketball, I started rugby in February. And I'm not from Quebec (although I wish I could go play there, the Quebec rugby teams are phenomenal). I don't know what the b-ball leagues are like down there (or here). But here are my thoughts.....

Do you currently play or have contact with someone in the sport? If so talk to them. If it's anything like the rugby club here they will have a chair for you to use. Don't buy anything if you don't have to. If you can get into a few different chairs to get a feel for them, to get an approximation of what size and specs you need. Once your close look into something adjustable like a Quickie All-Court. It's definitely not the highest-quality chair but plenty of players use them (from my rugby perspective). If you get hooked up with the right players they will likely have a chair to lend you for some time and then you can order something like this - http://lashersport.com/products-baller.html

Look into what the Quebec gov't or Paraplegic Assoc. offers for adaptive equipment grants. Here in Alberta they hand out quite a few every year, the logic is that an active crip is a healthy crip.

Ditto to what tooley said above!
    Try and demo chairs before you purchase. Having said that, here are some names of chairs to look into. Demo as much as you can, and get your specs dialed in just as you would with an everyday chair. Try several different settings on the court and see what you like and how it affects your game. Definitely don't go spend the money just to find out that the sport you purchased a high priced chair for is not to your liking.
    The fully adjustable sports chair that can be used for basketball, tennis and others is the Quickie All Court. If you are dead set on Ti, the TiLite BB is their basketball chair. They do not offer a tennis chair, and idk how much adjustability they have in the BB. Colours has the Hammer (non adjustable), the Zephyr Sport (non adjustable) and the Widow (adjustable or non adjustable, but only for Tennis/non contact).
    Invacare/Top End has (in order from most adjustability to least adjustability): BB chairs: The Transformer All Sport Chair, The Pro BB Chair, The Paul Schulte Signature Series BB with COG Adjustability, and The Paul Schulte Signature Series BB Chair. Tennis Chairs: The Transformer All Sport, The Pro Tennis Chair, and the T-5 Tennis Elite.
    If this is your first sports chair I would go with an adjustable chair so you can dial in your settings. The chair you get depends on the sport(s) you want to play. If you are only interested in BB, go for an adjustable BB chair, but if you want to try tennis, softball, soccer, rugby, etc I would go for one of the "all court" chairs (that is unless you can afford to pay out of pocket for multiple chairs at once). I also encourage you to apply for a grant through the Challenged Athletes Foundation aka CAF, to help fund this equipment. Their application period will open in September, and ends in December. Grants are awarded around April.
    Mandy
    ~Mandy~
    SCI as a result of spinal surgery
    TiLite Aero Z!!!

10-15 years ago, chairs that could be used for both everyday and sports were not hard to find. However, there's a reason they're no longer around. It just isn't practical (ie. doesn't work). The best thing to do is to get a chair that is specifically designed for you AND the sport that you want to play. Tennis chairs don't double as b-ball chairs (and vise versa.) If you're not sure if you'll like a particular sport that you want to try, then you'll definitely want to borrow some equipment. Granted, a chair that doesn't quite fit properly can hinder the experience, but it should give you a good enough idea of whether or not you'll want to get a sport-specific chair.

I agree with all of the above. When I first started playing basketball, I got as Quickie All Court...it is not the best chair...but it was adjustable enough so I could dial in what worked for me and what did not. After playing in that chair for a few years...I had it set up exactly the way I wanted it and was able to buy a Per4max...an almost non-adjustable chair. This chair was made based upon what my all court was set up with. This way was the best because then it was like nothing changed underneath me except the chair was more solid.

I also found I have to sit differently when playing sports than when I am in my everyday...just because of the different demands on my body. Therefore. my everyday chair definitely would not have worked as my sports chair. For example, my tennis chair has about 6 inches of dump..as opposed to my 4 inches in my everyday. This is because when playing tennis I have more stomach spasms than I do when I am sitting in my everyday. The dump breaks my spasms. These are all things you need to consider...which is why demoing is so important.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by CurvySAT05 View Post
    The fully adjustable sports chair that can be used for basketball, tennis and others is the Quickie All Court. If you are dead set on Ti, the TiLite BB is their basketball chair. They do not offer a tennis chair, and idk how much adjustability they have in the BB. Colours has the Hammer (non adjustable), the Zephyr Sport (non adjustable) and the Widow (adjustable or non adjustable, but only for Tennis/non contact).
    Invacare/Top End has (in order from most adjustability to least adjustability): BB chairs: The Transformer All Sport Chair, The Pro BB Chair, The Paul Schulte Signature Series BB with COG Adjustability, and The Paul Schulte Signature Series BB Chair. Tennis Chairs: The Transformer All Sport, The Pro Tennis Chair, and the T-5 Tennis Elite.
    Quickie also has the Match Point for tennis which also has the same adjustability as the All Court chair.

I want to play basketball. I haven't tried any chair as of yet so I have no idea what to get. I'm hoping the basketball league here in Montreal has chairs I can try. I'm also 6'4 which makes it harder since I don't there will be many chairs if any I can use there. League starts up again in September. I hope they have something I can try.
    Never Give Up!