Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A new mental health forum?

Quote Originally Posted by woman from Europe View Post
    I am not sure. In the Norwegian forum I use, we have a forum like that and most of the people take care what they answer in that forum and we have a psychiatrist who is the moderator and he is quick to delete.

And here where I live it is impossible to get a psychologist if we have a disability, they think it is no reason to give us one because it is impossible to change the fact that we have a disability and it is nothing to do with that and the things that follows.

So I think we need one forum for those things.
    just my humble opinion, but we are not qualified for mental health issues. If there were a forum it should have some consult by a professional as the above mentioned forum.

If a poster PM's you about their mental health a seperate forum isn't going to mean much. Use the member only forum until the moderators make a decision.
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Quote Originally Posted by Donno View Post
    Did everyone get a PM from this member, or only those who have responded to her/his posts? I agree that it is a good idea, and that it should be in Members Only.
    I have not, and do not know who he or she is.

I agree that a separate forum for Mental Health is a good idea and it should be a "private forum." The Members Only forum is just too big and free wheeling to accommodate sensitive mental health concerns. A Mental Health forum does need a moderator(s) with some professional background and sensitivities to the types of problems and discussions that will arise. I know this might sound elitist and possibly discriminatory, but maybe the members of the forum could be screened and selected for the types of posts they have written in the past to help eliminate those who wouldn't be helpful, compassionate and constructive.

All the best,
    GJ

Quote Originally Posted by Liz321 View Post
    just my humble opinion, but we are not qualified for mental health issues. If there were a forum it should have some consult by a professional as the above mentioned forum.

If a poster PM's you about their mental health a seperate forum isn't going to mean much. Use the member only forum until the moderators make a decision.
    I don't have any issues except the ones I have written about in women only. And I am sure that others members and one of the SCI nurses can handle most of the issues people have got because of their SCI.
    TH 12, 43 years post

I thought there was a woman's forum already?

Just playing, I think it would be a good idea.
    c3/c4, injured 2007

I'd love it, but I'd also wish we could give it a funny name, like The Rubber Room.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Fran├žais View Post
    I'd love it, but I'd also wish we could give it a funny name, like The Rubber Room.
    Yeah, we could use a little irreverence around here. Way to go, Todd!
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

In Reno, in 1979, the city jail had a drunk tank with four padded walls and a padded floor, with a huge pink elephant painted on each wall.

Wakin' up and seeing that as the guy next to ya pukes his guts out isn't much fun. Or so I've heard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Fran├žais View Post
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

I would like that, but it would have to be heavily HEAVILY moderated to keep hurtful replies out. However, there has been absolute opposition in every forum to date to moderate at all, other than the infamous 'personal attacks'. I think that if a person in a fragile state posted specifically in a mental health forum and still got a nasty reply, it could be devastating. For this reason I would vote against it (unless it can be very vigorously moderated, with full delete powers without consultation with other mods so it can be done very quickly)

Quote Originally Posted by zillazangel View Post
    I would like that, but it would have to be heavily HEAVILY moderated to keep hurtful replies out. However, there has been absolute opposition in every forum to date to moderate at all, other than the infamous 'personal attacks'. I think that if a person in a fragile state posted specifically in a mental health forum and still got a nasty reply, it could be devastating. For this reason I would vote against it (unless it can be very vigorously moderated, with full delete powers without consultation with other mods so it can be done very quickly)
    To answer some of the questions........ I think a few of us got the initial request from a member who wishes to maintain privacy. My guess is that we were chosen because there was a degree of trust that we would maintain privacy and also that we would take such a request seriously.
    I actually think this could work quite well, but I do agree there should be some written jargon stating that any replies are those only of people wishing to lend support and that in no way should such a forum be confused with adequate professional help. As to nasty replies....well, sometimes there is a member who is such an insensitive jerk that anyone can be hurt badly by their BS comments, but other's have often jumped in to defend the person being attacked without a reason. The most egregious person to have done that sort of attacking is no longer on the forum, and I suspect that most here have enjoyed the return to civility and would not be too anxious to ruin it. Still, I do think that a caveat that it is NOT professional counseling, that it is simply people sharing and supporting should cover the bases.