Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: A new mental health forum?

A new mental health forum?

I was contacted by a member at CCC who would like very much to have a mental health forum added to our list of possible threads. It struck me as a very good idea since at any given time there is always a member or two struggling with depression, acceptance, loss, and a host of other conditions that affect emotions either in the short term or longer time frame. I would envision it as a place a lot like the "bitch and complain" thread, meaning it is a place someone could write and reasonably expect NOT to be made fun of, to be told to "man up" or in other ways be hurtful or disrespectful. This member has asked Wise and SCI nurse for such a thread, and I am writing this not only to show my support for such an idea, but also to open it up for dialogue within the community. Thanks.

I think that is a good idea.

Life is going up and down for most of us and we have more things than others to fight against. SCI is not an easy thing to deal with, acceptence, jobs, doctors, equipment, you name it.
    TH 12, 43 years post

Quote Originally Posted by woman from Europe View Post
    Life is going up and down for most of us and we have more things than others to fight against. SCI is not an easy thing to deal with, acceptence, jobs, doctors, equipment, you name it.
    Amen to that! The proposed new forum sounds like a good idea to me, too.

I think it makes a lot of sense to have a forum for mental health. I hope that the overall focus is constructive.

I think this is a good idea. I would suggest that it be a "members only" Forum.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    I think this is a good idea. I would suggest that it be a "members only" Forum.
    I'm not sure how these things are decided and set up, but agree on the "members only" forum.
    If a person is going through deep debilitating depression, panic, SAD and anxiety or feeling like harming themselves all of the wc sports or distractions in the world are not going to help.
    You have to get out of the hole first.
    Even though the stigma of needing mental health is less than the past, it still exists loud and clear.

I also think this is a good idea. I am not depressed or anything like that right now but in the past I have gone through it and would have loved to been able to talk to people about it going through the same thing. I would also suggest to put it into the members only forum.

We have the members only forum, and that's where most peeps post when they're having problems, mental or emotional, or they just want to let loose and rant. It's worked well from my experience.

There will always be people who are gonna say mean shiz to someone suffering pain of some sort no matter where the thread is located.

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    I was contacted by a member at CCC who would like very much to have a mental health forum added to our list of possible threads. It struck me as a very good idea since at any given time there is always a member or two struggling with depression, acceptance, loss, and a host of other conditions that affect emotions either in the short term or longer time frame. I would envision it as a place a lot like the "bitch and complain" thread, meaning it is a place someone could write and reasonably expect NOT to be made fun of, to be told to "man up" or in other ways be hurtful or disrespectful. This member has asked Wise and SCI nurse for such a thread, and I am writing this not only to show my support for such an idea, but also to open it up for dialogue within the community. Thanks.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

I am not sure. In the Norwegian forum I use, we have a forum like that and most of the people take care what they answer in that forum and we have a psychiatrist who is the moderator and he is quick to delete.

And here where I live it is impossible to get a psychologist if we have a disability, they think it is no reason to give us one because it is impossible to change the fact that we have a disability and it is nothing to do with that and the things that follows.

So I think we need one forum for those things.
    TH 12, 43 years post

Blog Entries
    Did everyone get a PM from this member, or only those who have responded to her/his posts? I agree that it is a good idea, and that it should be in Members Only.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury