Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Miralax Timing

Miralax Timing

My mom was advised to start taking Miralax. (We've tried a few others that did not work.) For her bowel program which we are trying to get working.

However, no time of day was given.

I was wondering ... what is a good time to start out? Morning? Evening? Would love to hear the experience everyone else has had.

My husband has his bowel program M W F midmornings.
    He takes his Miralax (Walmart brand Clearlax) around 6 the night before.
    He also takes a stool softener and Senna at the same time.
    After trial and error and different combinations, timing and spacing of the days this has worked the best with seldom an oooops.

I guess a better question would be ... how quick does it "work"?

We're trying to figure out so that, say it takes 2 hours ... we wouldn't want to do it before bed. But if it takes many hours, that would be OK.

Her BP is mid morning as well.

I would try it the night before at bedtime. Everyone is different though, it will take some trial and error I'm afraid.
    I don't think it works as quickly as 2 hours.

I wouldn't exactly say that Miralax "works" in the sense that most laxatives do, where you take and then 6 hrs later (or whenever) you suddenly gotta poo. It is more that after you take it, it will make the poo softer and easier to pass. For me, I do my bowel program in the evenings, every other day. I like to take it on the nights when I don't do a program, so that everything will move easier the next evening. Also, I know that alot of folks (myself included) only use half a dose... so only 1.5 teaspoons instead of a tablespoon. If I use a full dose, accidents will happen. You'll probably have to play around with it to see what works best for your mom.

I use a different product because Mirilax did not work for me at all. I use Enemeez Mini Enemas. I take my Stool Softener the night before and try to give it as much time as possible to work because I can get really backed up easily. This works great for me and almost always completely empties me out with no accidents afterwards. I do a digital stimulation after to see if any stool is left over.

The only thing is, Enemeez are only available by prescription.

I take a full dose at bedtime, then suppository in morning- 30 minutes later it's 'on the move'. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by mutton View Post
    I wouldn't exactly say that Miralax "works" in the sense that most laxatives do, where you take and then 6 hrs later (or whenever) you suddenly gotta poo. It is more that after you take it, it will make the poo softer and easier to pass. For me, I do my bowel program in the evenings, every other day. I like to take it on the nights when I don't do a program, so that everything will move easier the next evening. Also, I know that alot of folks (myself included) only use half a dose... so only 1.5 teaspoons instead of a tablespoon. If I use a full dose, accidents will happen. You'll probably have to play around with it to see what works best for your mom.
    this is the best advice. miralax cannot be timed, like if you took sennacot 8 to 12 hours later be near a toilet. miralax has worked as a softer for me. and much better then colace or similars.
    i take 3/4 teaspoon every morning. its just enough, concidering on a constipation level of 1 to 7, i'm a 7. 7 being a rock. one more thing. it takes me 3 weeks for this stuff to kick in. and 3 weeks to stop. i'm not going to stop taking it anymore. they same its safe for long term, story will change at some point i'm sure.
    Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.
    Bob Seger

I do my BR in the PM. I do miralax in my tea in the AM, citrucel in the PM, 2 senna every PM, 1 stool softener AM, 3 prunes with my breakfast, 1 cup prune juice at noon, and try to eat a good diet with fruit, veggies, greens and whole grains.

I don't think it matters what time you do it as the amount is pretty inconsequential.

I did a whole bottle once for colonoscopy prep. I thought this stuff ain't got no punch. Well, a whole bottle does open the spigots full bore. A mere capful? Just helps hydrate the bowel and keep things soft.

Quote Originally Posted by EricaBold9780 View Post
    I use a different product because Mirilax did not work for me at all. I use Enemeez Mini Enemas. I take my Stool Softener the night before and try to give it as much time as possible to work because I can get really backed up easily. This works great for me and almost always completely empties me out with no accidents afterwards. I do a digital stimulation after to see if any stool is left over.

The only thing is, Enemeez are only available by prescription.

Here in Maine, mini enemeez are over-the-counter and insurance says no, even with prescription