Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Accommodations

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliegirl2010 View Post
    Thanks Tooley! Still really enjoying it and have a 28% booking rate
    That ambition will take you far in this world. And it puts all people with disabilities in a good light, it shows everyone how resilient we can be. Keep that pride of doing a good job and you'll never be out of work. People really respect a young woman who takes her work seriously, not like most that just text message and slack off all day.

Congrats on your new job! Do not look at it as any kind of potiential inconvenience - now or in the future. Look at it as kindness! Others do things because they want to.....not because they have to - most of the time that is. Settle in and get a comfort with your new job. You will love it and will not feel like you are bothering anyone. Good luck!

Jessica,
    I worked at Liberty medical for 3 years and they had 2 sets of sign in pads but theirs had a thumb pad that just scans your thumbprint and also 24 hour security at the door so you had to show or wear an ID badge just to get near the door but in the morning there where so many people in and out someone was there holding the door and I would just rush in and say " thanks for holding the door " and scan in .. maybe they can put in a lower time sheet clock for you to use and if ussually someone was there for the same reason you where going in the door so let them hold it open for you.. And at least you are ""opening the doors "" for other people with disabilities to get into the workforce as well..
    My advice would be next time your manager is waiting with you just mention a few things to them in general conversation about the time clock and door opener.. they make door openers not the electric ones just the regular hydrolic ones that will make it a lot easier to get a large door open and that could be done very cheap to the company, but one thing after 31 years in a chair it really is OK to ask for help sometimes and most people are more than willing to help, I know when I first got out of rehab in 1980 I came out as "super gimp" and thought that everything that someone else did for me was an inconveniance to them but after a while it wears off and after all it is a workplace , you are making them money and you get your satisfaction of being productive as well. But I have found that since they did hire you that they probably know that they will need to make a few changes and a lot of changes will benifit others as well not just you . So dont be afraid to just ask or make suggestions to make it easier for you , I know they will benifit from you input as well.
    Also to end this book , congrats on getting a job, in this economy its tough for everyone and you now have one,, Good Luck

Gary
    Last edited by garyv; 07-20-2011 at 07:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by garyv View Post
    Jessica,
    I worked at Liberty medical for 3 years and they had 2 sets of sign in pads but theirs had a thumb pad that just scans your thumbprint and also 24 hour security at the door so you had to show or wear an ID badge just to get near the door but in the morning there where so many people in and out someone was there holding the door and I would just rush in and say " thanks for holding the door " and scan in .. maybe they can put in a lower time sheet clock for you to use and if ussually someone was there for the same reason you where going in the door so let them hold it open for you.. And at least you are ""opening the doors "" for other people with disabilities to get into the workforce as well..
    My advice would be next time your manager is waiting with you just mention a few things to them in general conversation about the time clock and door opener.. they make door openers not the electric ones just the regular hydrolic ones that will make it a lot easier to get a large door open and that could be done very cheap to the company, but one thing after 31 years in a chair it really is OK to ask for help sometimes and most people are more than willing to help, I know when I first got out of rehab in 1980 I came out as "super gimp" and thought that everything that someone else did for me was an inconveniance to them but after a while it wears off and after all it is a workplace , you are making them money and you get your satisfaction of being productive as well. But I have found that since they did hire you that they probably know that they will need to make a few changes and a lot of changes will benifit others as well not just you . So dont be afraid to just ask or make suggestions to make it easier for you , I know they will benifit from you input as well.
    Also to end this book , congrats on getting a job, in this economy its tough for everyone and you now have one,, Good Luck

Gary

I never really thought about it that way, thanks all!

So I got my first member today and things are still going well! Mt boss has even offered to talk to OT/Ins about a standing wheelchair and to help me with my math.... Don't ask why, I don't know, but I'm just happy that I found the job

Glad things are going well Jessica. I had wondered how it was going.
    Are you feeling a bit less nervous?

Quote Originally Posted by LindaT View Post
    Glad things are going well Jessica. I had wondered how it was going.
    Are you feeling a bit less nervous?
    The nervousness becomes less and less everyday... I think today was the first time I was able to have a conversation with him while we waited without feeling so awkward I couldn't talk at all.

So..... I've now been put in charge of training someone....

that's awesome! You must be doing a good job if you're showing newbies the ropes. And now you are no longer the newbie! Send them on bullshit errands, ask them to go get some staple lubricant or something crazy like that.

Quote Originally Posted by tooley View Post
    that's awesome! You must be doing a good job if you're showing newbies the ropes. And now you are no longer the newbie! Send them on bullshit errands, ask them to go get some staple lubricant or something crazy like that.
    Tooley, why do I have to read your comments at exactly the wrong times? I'm trying to stiffel my laughter while everyone sleeps.