Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Accommodations

Quote Originally Posted by tooley View Post
    stuff like this is hit & miss here in Canada (and worse in many many other parts of the world). The more you dwell on the "should" side of things the more people will see you as a liability. If they see it doesn't bother you and you can accept help and are nice about it the more likely they are to change it to make it better for you and the next guy. Positive attitude goes a looooong way in the workforce. Accept the stuff you can't change and change the stuff you can't accept.

Yeah very true. He keeps telling me I'm doing really well and that's awesome, but all I'm saying is, I don't want to lose my job over a door and punching in/out because in a month, he decides it's a hassle.

just keep your head up, act like you want to be there (even if sometimes you don't). Something bad happens it's fate. Every time I ever lost a job I landed back on my feet within 3 days, usually with a raise and always with a better group of people. Shit happens, but I believe everything happens for a reason (even breaking my neck). Like I said, I had a lot of jobs over the years pre-SCI. Not once did I ever regret quitting or getting fired from one of them. We got a saying out west here - "well, I was looking for a job when I found this one." In other words there's always another job thanks to the economic boom times that Alberta and alot of Canada has enjoyed for the last 20 years. We are so very blessed to live in the Great White North.

Don't ever let losing a job get you down, it's bound to happen. Take the next day, hit the hot tub, get a makeover or whatever you can do to relax & reflect and just chill. That next morning hit the ground running. Freshen up the resume and throw your Sunday best on, get out and find another place to take money from. There's plenty if you got a smile and a willingness to learn.

I was never in the position to hire people, but could always tell the one's that my bosses would hire, or at the least the ones that would excel. Fresh set of bright eyes can make a whole company perk up.

Worst thing you can do is worry about it, and I was definitely a worrier at your age. People can smell fear and if you think you might get fired all the time someone will question why are so paranoid. Just tell them you steal office supplies. lol

REMEMBER: the ONLY disability is a bad attitude.

Trust me, because there were/are times in my life when I was/am the most disabled person EVER.

and youngster have some fun with it!! It's just paper, you live with your folks, no one's gonna take food out of your mouth! I'd tell you to smoke a joint or something but drugs are bad.

REMEMBER: the ONLY disability is a bad attitude.

Trust me, because there were/are times in my life when I was/am the most disabled person EVER.

and youngster have some fun with it!! It's just paper, you live with your folks, no one's gonna take food out of your mouth! I'd tell you to smoke a joint or something but drugs are bad.
    So true tooley. there is a southern saying of "don't put the cart before the horse" and to "burn that bridge when you get to it" wheelie, you've only been there a month. just relax!

sometimes when you worry about something, you end up creating what it is that you're worried about. you're young, bright and your boss likes you! enjoy this! you could have a boss like the guy from office space.
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

stuff like this is hit & miss here in Canada (and worse in many many other parts of the world). The more you dwell on the "should" side of things the more people will see you as a liability. If they see it doesn't bother you and you can accept help and are nice about it the more likely they are to change it to make it better for you and the next guy. Positive attitude goes a looooong way in the workforce. Accept the stuff you can't change and change the stuff you can't accept.
    What sucks is that most business here don't know they can use the modifications as tax write offs, and there are grants available for them to make work areas accessable.
    ---------
    C5-6 / '88

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliegirl2010 View Post
    ( Google Chrome tells me that's spelled wrong, but won't tell me how to fix it)
    Right click on the word should come up with the corrections.
    ---------
    C5-6 / '88

Just what do people with walkers do? or someone on crutches, or women with a walking child and a stroller do? more than h/c people use the door opener. Mind you I'm as able as one can get, in a wheelchair, i go fishing hunting, and all kinds o stuff, but comeon,

it's a workplace, not a shopping mall. Honestly it's great they hired her at all. Young kid, first job, in a chair. People are opening doors for her, but in reality she is opening doors for others like her to join the workforce. Kudos wheeliegirl!

Building could have been built before newer building codes came in effect. AFAIK Vancouver has really strict building codes re access, Vancouver was way ahead of the province of BC in this I believe.

it's a workplace, not a shopping mall. Honestly it's great they hired her at all. Young kid, first job, in a chair. People are opening doors for her, but in reality she is opening doors for others like her to join the workforce. Kudos wheeliegirl!

Thanks Tooley! Still really enjoying it and have a 28% booking rate