Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 37

Thread: Accommodations

  1. #1

    Accommodations

    Hi All,

    On Tuesday I was hired at a call center. All of my coworkers, particularly my supervisor have been extremely accommodating. He meets me at the door everyday (the door is super huge and awkward and heavy and has no button) which means he also feels the need to walk me out. Somebody also has to punch me in and out because it's up high and if you don't line it up perfectly right, you're sorta screwed. The owner was outside when I showed up today and he starts chatting with my brother. Then my brother brought my chair around and I started to transfer in and he reaches out his hand and says "can I give you a hand?" . So, I let him. I guess my point is, I don't want it to be a problem or incovience ( Google Chrome tells me that's spelled wrong, but won't tell me how to fix it) for my supervisor that he has to open the door. He doesn't seem bothered by it in the least, but you know...

    Does anyone see this as an issue?

    WG

  2. #2
    I think once the newness of the job wears off it will be less awkward.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by LindaT View Post
    I think once the newness of the job wears off it will be less awkward.
    Probably true. Here's the other thing. I take the paratransit system starting next week and they have a twenty minute window- ten minutes either way. My sup, can't leave until I do (legal reasons, I guess) he's aware of it, but, I feel like I'm creating such a pain for him.. Maybe I'm just used to people being unaccommodating jerks about jobs!

  4. #4
    Senior Member tooley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    1,566
    Quote Originally Posted by wheeliegirl2010 View Post
    Probably true. Here's the other thing. I take the paratransit system starting next week and they have a twenty minute window- ten minutes either way. My sup, can't leave until I do (legal reasons, I guess) he's aware of it, but, I feel like I'm creating such a pain for him.. Maybe I'm just used to people being unaccommodating jerks about jobs!
    Just be nice, try to make it fun for the both of you. Let him know you appreciate his time and show an interest in his life, ie. Kids, hobbies, etc. If you make it easy for him to spend this extra time talking about stuff he likes the time will fly by and it won't be an issue. Keep him talking, he'll appreciate your interest. Also, this is great practice for you to pick up boys (or to be picked up by one). Guys love when girls take an interest in them and actually listen.

    My 2 cents (and I had a whole lot of jobs pre-SCI)

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    3,864
    tooley and i are on the same track. practice talking to a guy on a one on one setting. its great that he and everyone is being so accommodating.
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

  6. #6
    How about calling paratransit and explaining the situation, that your supervisor has to wait until you leave, and that you don't want to jeopardize your job. Ask them to have the vehicle waiting for you and perhaps talk to your supervisor about sometimes leaving a tad early (if paratransit shows up), then make up the time.
    Any chance you can avoid any unnecessary "help" for transfers? Such as 'thanks, but this is good exercise for me'.
    Good luck to you!

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    3,864
    Quote Originally Posted by triumph View Post
    How about calling paratransit and explaining the situation, that your supervisor has to wait until you leave, and that you don't want to jeopardize your job. Ask them to have the vehicle waiting for you and perhaps talk to your supervisor about sometimes leaving a tad early (if paratransit shows up), then make up the time.
    Any chance you can avoid any unnecessary "help" for transfers? Such as 'thanks, but this is good exercise for me'.
    Good luck to you!
    if her paratransit is anything like the one here they'll tell her to eff off lol

    but, the paratransit here offers a "subscription service" so you give them your work schedule and then they get u there and home at better times. maybe it's worth it to see if they have something like that. ps: is your boss cute?

    also, at some point discuss with them to perhaps lower the clock punch in for you. explain you appreciate the help but want to be on more even footing with your coworkers. (they could do a scan system with an ipad)
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

  8. #8
    Good workers are hard to come by, as a manager if all I had to do to keep a hardworking, smart person happy and working hard is open the door for them and punch them in its a small effort well worth the reward. I wouldn't sweat it.

  9. #9
    Senior Member fishin'guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Seattle area Wash state
    Posts
    2,382
    You know it's nice the3y're accomodating, but it is kinda bullshit. They arent in the 21 st century yet. They should be handicapped accessible. You mention kinda big doors, so I assume it's kinda new, they should have teh door opener(automatic). Just my 2 cents worth, but comeon, get in the century.

  10. #10
    Senior Member tooley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    1,566
    Quote Originally Posted by fishin'guy View Post
    You know it's nice the3y're accomodating, but it is kinda bullshit. They arent in the 21 st century yet. They should be handicapped accessible. You mention kinda big doors, so I assume it's kinda new, they should have teh door opener(automatic). Just my 2 cents worth, but comeon, get in the century.
    stuff like this is hit & miss here in Canada (and worse in many many other parts of the world). The more you dwell on the "should" side of things the more people will see you as a liability. If they see it doesn't bother you and you can accept help and are nice about it the more likely they are to change it to make it better for you and the next guy. Positive attitude goes a looooong way in the workforce. Accept the stuff you can't change and change the stuff you can't accept.

Similar Threads

  1. Can an HOA Prevent a Buyer From Making Accommodations?
    By wheeliegirl in forum Housing and Home Design
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-27-2010, 04:49 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-28-2002, 01:44 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •