Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting To Hospital

I will call them personally tomorrow and see what is going on.

Perhaps my mom just did not speak to the right person.

It has happened in Illinois too....crazy but the hospital only has one lift and for some reason there is no one qualified to use it. Follow Zillaangels advice, its by far the best.

..............there ya go....
    Last edited by airart1; 07-15-2011 at 05:01 AM.

Air, I went and read a lot of your past posts' the only person on this thread who is negative so far has been you.

If this site blows your mind about how negative it is, perhaps go to another site or change the attitude of the site by being more positive.

No ones talking down to you, you seem to be doing that just fine. I trust many here would chastize someone for saying to you what you are saying about others.

The wives like Zillangel and Linda T. or anyone else here, really don't need to be told they are ignorant. They speak from experience.

Perhaps Z didn't want to speak publically about a hosp. that she has to take her husband for the care he needs. Take the time to read some of her posts; she doesn't have a neg. thing to say about anyone.

Yeah this site is great; we have people from all over the world seeking answers that they otherwise never would get answered. I feel blessed having it here and getting to know wonderful people as Z and Linda T.

Welcome YBill,it's great knowing that you are concerned for your mother and willing to take the time to ensure her safety. You'd be surprized by how many that come here don't have that support.

I found out this morning that she is afraid of falling if people try lifting/moving her without a lift. I'd probably be, too. (Or afraid of a dislocated shoulder like a previous poster.)

So, it is good to know we can ask them to use the hoyer (which we use at home) and they should.

I'll let everyone know what happens. Someone is calling them back today.

Quote Originally Posted by YBill View Post
    I found out this morning that she is afraid of falling if people try lifting/moving her without a lift. I'd probably be, too. (Or afraid of a dislocated shoulder like a previous poster.)

So, it is good to know we can ask them to use the hoyer (which we use at home) and they should.

I'll let everyone know what happens. Someone is calling them back today.
    I hope you are able to solve the problem. And to reiterate, but sure that someone who is trained to use the hoyer is scheduled to be in the CT suite when she is there. Otherwise you may all stand around looking at each other. Also, Linda's post reminded me of this - ask them beforehand if the hoyer lift is compatible with the ct bed - the wheels have to go under it, and alot of beds are not compatible (e.g. too low to the ground), so you'll have to ask about the CT scanner. If its not, she'll have to transfer to a bed and then get pulled via sheet onto the ct scanner bed. Its a real pain, but hopefully you can get it squared away. Advance research is the way to go!! Good luck.

I'm surprized that the Workers Comp. in North. Crl. Doesn't stipulate that a lift is needed to protect not only the patient but the people working at the hosp. In the least, the union for the hosp. workers should have something like that in their contract.

The hosp. I go to has a ceiling system in every room to protect the nurses and patients. I think it's a requirement thruout the state.

A buddy of mine made up a sling to use for transfers on an airplane. It's basically a sling like a hoyer lift uses with hand holds for people to lift him into a seat.

One last thought and I'll be done, I promise. A thought: when she is put in her wheelchair in the morning, you could just leave the sling under her, and they can use her sling with their hoyer. Then she doesn't have to be shifted around a bunch of times by people who don't know what they are doing, to get the sling on her there. That only works if you don't think the sling would leave marks on her skin, but worth considering.

I really had to stress that I had a large man paralyzed below the neck and emphasize he would need extra help. They just don't see enough people like that. I also called the day before.
    The hospital he was in for pneumonia 2 summers ago had 2 rooms with ceiling lifts and only a couple aides knew how to roll a sling. I insisted when he was doing better that we get him in his chair a few hours a day and also brought his commode chair up so someone could give him a shower after 5 weeks.
    When he had an abrasion on his bottom our family doc could not look at it because no lift and how would he even stay on the narrow examing table? I called a rehab nurse that works in the hospital (not for anything a.s serious as SCI) and he arranged for us to bring Dave to the rehab unit so a PA there could look at it.
    He has been really helpful in situations like this just because he realizes how lacking the different areas can be.
    Sometimes you just have to keep at it until you make the right "hospital" friend that knows who to talk to.