Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting To Hospital

Getting To Hospital

My mom (who has ALS, has no use of her legs, and is wheelchair bound) needs to go the hospital for a CAT scan.

How would a person in this situation get to the hospital?

We can get a van to take her in her chair, but the hospital seems "unable" to get her out of the chair and into a bed.

We called them and they responded like we had three heads! Am I crazy to think there has to be some way?

They actually said to call an ambulance. That was their solution.

Hello "YBill,"
    Where do you live?

Many communities have county/state para transit programs that provide no to low cost wheelchair transportation. Try calling your city or county offices and asking about senior services and/or para transit programs.

Does your community have wheelchair accessible van taxis?

You might check your phone book yellow pages for private companies who offer transportation services for people with disabilities who need to go to non emergency medical appointments. These companies offer fee for service wheelchair accessible transportation.

There may be some service clubs in your area who offer free transportation for seniors and people with disabilities.

Call your closest independent living center and inquire about transportation options.

As for transferring your mother from her wheelchair to the CAT scan platform, most hospitals have a department called a "lift team" whose job it is to transfer patients throughout the hospital wards and testing facilities. Many of these teams employ mechanical lifts to safely transfer patients. Other teams use two person teams to lift patients from a wheelchair to testing tables and hospital gurneys.

ADA regulations require medical facilities to be accessible.

All the best,
    GJ

Absolutely do NOT call an ambulance; insurance will deny coverage of it since its not an emergency (nor needed). Call the hospital and tell them to get a HOYER LIFT, and to find whoever is trained to use to BE THERE when you arrive. I believe that they are legally obligated to be able to transfer patients appropriately. Worst case, does her wheelchair lay back? If so, put a sheet or bedpad under her the morning she goes to the hospital. Then have her lay chair back as close to horizontal as possible, and then slide her, using the bed sheet / bed pad, over to the hospital bed / MRI table. It can be done - it gets harder if she is heavy. But call them first and ask to speak with the nurse manager, and if that gets you nowhere, ask for the hospital administrator about the hoyer lift. They surely have one SOMEWHERE in a hospital. Then if all else fails, try the transfer method above, making sure there are at least 5 people moving her (3 on the far side of the bed, 2 on the chair side). If you want more details, PM me and I'll send you my phone number. My husband is immobile from the shoulders down, so I've dealt with this many times.

.................done
    Last edited by airart1; 07-15-2011 at 05:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by airart1 View Post
    this is an actual hospital? is it in canada? u mean to tell us that they right out and told you they dont know how to get a sick person in a hospital bed, can u not ask them how all the other patience get in and out of bed? that is just so ridiculous, u get 4 people and u pick her up, how would u even consider taking her to a hospital, if u can call it that, find a better place, that is so over the top of ignorance........
    Right in the good ole US of A, I have first hand heard of and run into this myself, more than once. Sometimes there is only one choice.....

..............unc....... duke
    Last edited by airart1; 07-15-2011 at 05:01 AM.

Get the van to take her and like everybody else said, make them use a hoyer lift. I am a pretty small guy and I always make them use a lift. They always ask if two people can lift me, I tried that once and they dislocated my shoulder. If they can't come up with a lift I would find a new place for her health needs.
    c3/c4, injured 2007

Why, do you not believe me? If you really want the details and there is some reason you want to know, I'll PM it to you, but I'm not going to post it publicly. I get squirrely when I post very specific information like that.

And anyway, it doesn't matter where, its just absolutely the truth, I have heard of it from many people here and have experienced it several times first hand (and that's just in the last 7 years that I've known chad, he's been paralyzed and faced this problem for 23 years).

I cannot tell you how many times I've had to transfer my husband MYSELF from his chair to his hospital bed, or direct the staff (as I described above). But I'm lucky in that a) I'm physically fit and healthy and b) Chad is very thin so he's not heavy. As such I can manually transfer him as a last resort. That's not always an option, as it wasn't with another quad friend of mine who was heavy and it wasn't possible to manually transfer him.

When my husband had a procedure on his trachea stoma I brought one of our aides along. The hospital (day unit) just got a new lift and had not had an in service on it yet. Lucky our aide had worked with the lift and ended up on the floor turning the wheels as it was not compatible with the bed.
    When he needs chest X-Rays it is always a crap shoot if the tech will know what to do. I pull him forward and the put the plate behind him.
    Sorry I don't have a suggestion Ybill.

Quote Originally Posted by airart1 View Post
    u're location says north carolina, it has one of the best hospitals in the united states, take her to it............
    *I* am in North Carolina, the OP is not. And even in the place, NC, with "one of the best hospitals in the united states" (which hospital is that again, and NC is a little bit big?), this happens. ALOT.

p.s. you edited out your post that asked me exactly what hospital and where had this problem. This makes my other response look odd about not giving out details.