Thread: Joe Plans to Walk Across France!

Joe Plans to Walk Across France!

I met Joe Kalsecz in France last year and he has amazed me! He is turning 50 this year and he plans to walk from the North to the South France with Crutches and Full Leg Braces. Thats over 1300 km! He has been training for this walk for the past 3 years. He has raised money but not enough. He watched Terry Fox walk across Canada when he was 26 and wants to raise awareness and money for spinal cord research. I went back to see him again last week and he is mentally ready for the walk. He currently walks over 10 kms a day to prepare. You can see his website at www.joekals.com and you can check out the publicity he has received over the past 20 plus years. There is a page where you can leave a donation to help pay for the walk. His camper alone is going to cost over $14,000. The website isn't complete either due problems with the webmaster. He is starting on the 17th of July and wants to finish before mid-December. The website is in French but if you use Google Chrome, it will translate the text for you. Thank you for your help.

WWW.JOEKALS.COM

*To leave a donation, click on DEVENEZ PARTENAIRE in the top left of the screen.
    Never Give Up!

Joe Plans to Walk Across France on Braces and Crutches!

This is what his site says for those who haven't been there yet.

Since my accident and subsequent rebirth thirty years ago, I have never stopped feeding my spirit with the people I have met; now, I believe it is time to give something back to life. This is why, in june 2011, I intend to use my leg braces to walk from Le havre to Menton - a 1325km stretch over +/- 5 months. Enabling disabled people to go anywhere is a utopian dream, unacheivable unless we destroy montains, fill in ravines, and concrete the whole planet to make it flat. How terrible...and only so that a minority could live decently. I'd rather we kept our stairs, mountains, and everything else that makes life beautiful. My aim is to touch people, to raise awareness, and to collect funds to support research. If my life could serve a greater purpose, it would be for this. It is my wish that in the near future, man would not be restricted by his physical condition and could continue to live with dignity.

I'll post a video my wife took last week.
    Never Give Up!

Here is a link to a video we took of Joe last week. You'll have to tilt your head to see it. Sorry I was not the cameraman.

http://s412.photobucket.com/albums/p...t=P1110012.mp4
    Never Give Up!

AbleChef - that is pretty cool. I watch the Tour de France which has incredible HD footage of France's countryside and I watch the beautiful scenery as much as the racing.

I wonder if this guy would be interested in using SideStix crutches which have shock absorbers and special grips. That is what I used to walk around the 165 mile Tahoe Rim Trail. I wish him luck.

Quote Originally Posted by arndog View Post
    AbleChef - that is pretty cool. I watch the Tour de France which has incredible HD footage of France's countryside and I watch the beautiful scenery as much as the racing.

I wonder if this guy would be interested in using SideStix crutches which have shock absorbers and special grips. That is what I used to walk around the 165 mile Tahoe Rim Trail. I wish him luck.
    SideStix? I'll look into for him. He just got new Carbon Fiber Arm Crutches with Articulating Grippy Pads. He says the shock from hitting the ground is almost gone. His Carbon Fiber Braces are really sweet! I bought an AFO from the same company while I was there last year. I've never seen anything like it. Both the AFO and KAFO are dynamic with a Hydraulic Pump behind the ankle and you chose how strong you want the pump to return your foot. The website used to show them in action but it's not there anymore. I don't know why, they're amazing. I'm calling him today before he starts tomorrow. I'll tell you wished him luck.

http://www.artificiel-orthopedie.com/?pg=ort_s1
    Never Give Up!