Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Multiple hard drives

Multiple hard drives

I have 2 SATA drives on my Win7 machine that currently appear and run as separate drives. I'd like them to run as a single drive in a non raid format. Anyone know how to do this?
    "What is the first business of one who studies... To part with self conceit. For it is impossible for anyone to begin to learn what he thinks he already knows." -Epictetus (55-135) Greek Philosopher

If your motherboard supports it set them up as JBOD (just a bunch of drives), if not you can buy a jbod card pretty cheaply.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    If your motherboard supports it set them up as JBOD (just a bunch of drives), if not you can buy a jbod card pretty cheaply.
    Negative and is there no simple free way?
    "What is the first business of one who studies... To part with self conceit. For it is impossible for anyone to begin to learn what he thinks he already knows." -Epictetus (55-135) Greek Philosopher

no, if u dont want to run raid, no, u plug the drive into the mb and it shows in my computer, no other option......why would u even want to run 2 drives into one, it doesnt work that way.......one craps out, both crap out, so its not even resonably a smart idea...

My primary drive is filling up and I need more space. I could move music, pictures, etc to the other drive but all my programs are set to look for those files on the primary drive. I'm afraid that if I copy everything to the second drive and then try to run a program such as Itunes it won't function because it can't find the files.

its best to always store your personal data, music files, pictures, etc. on another drive in case of hard drive failure on your master. It's easy to move all your stuff to the other drive, if you go to the Start Menu > right-click on My Documents and select Properties. You can move your files from there, same way with My Music, My Pictures.
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-...-data-windows/
    C4 incomplete since 1985

Blog Entries
    Buy a larger HD and use something like Casper to clone the C drive to the new drive and then unplug the old drive and when you reboot, the computer will boot to the new drive.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Quote Originally Posted by Covathalis View Post
    My primary drive is filling up and I need more space. I could move music, pictures, etc to the other drive but all my programs are set to look for those files on the primary drive. I'm afraid that if I copy everything to the second drive and then try to run a program such as Itunes it won't function because it can't find the files.

Oh, you can't JBOD an existing drive. You have to start with blank disks.

www.drobo.com... not cheap, but

that said, hard drives are dirt cheap nowadays.

plus a tb drive is like 35 bucks on tigerdirect......win 7 does a great backup, never move your program files, just your non-program files, pictures-movies-music, etc.......