Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flying again

Flying again

In the beginning there was a lack of power for yet an unknown reason. As the guy on get smart said "missed it by that much"
    P1170011.jpg
    Five and a half months later, in my other plane, back in the sky again.
    SL556139.JPG
    Very fun get together on the beach, last year.
    120_0243.JPG
    Twenty three years ago I though flying was out of my reach. Way to complex and expensive. Bought a used weight shift ultralight off the local radio swap and shop for 1000 dollars. What a joy to see the ground fall away. This type of flying is for fun. Its not the 100 dollar hamburger flying of general aviation. [Fly to the next airport over for lunch] Of course over time, one buys better and faster planes. The plane I'm flying now is my fourth.
    Of course this love is what put me in this chair. But one can not stop living and doing what they can.
    Of course I can not go up by my self. A good friend and pilot comes over and helps get the plane out of the hanger and onto the backyard runway.
    Off we go. I run the throttle, and control stick, and he runs the rudder peddles. The rudder peddles also control the steerable nose wheel. The plane flys great in the air with out the rudder. So basically I land and he steers. Works surprisingly well.
    It just feels so good to be flying again. My wife had some emotions about the hole thing, but said to keep at it. What a great wife. She was flashing back to the call, and the doc. saying those embolisms should have killed him.
    I hope others find something to help. Just a good intellectual conversation is very helpful as well.
    Please excuse my dyslexia, Thank you for spell cheek.
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

Any other folks doing similar things they did in the past. Maybe that should be another posting. One guy fell out of a apple tree. Maybe he could get one of those lite weight apple picking polls. Of course a lot of us drive, the very reason a lot of folks are here in the first place.

Thats great you are back at it! Must be quite the rush in a open plane like that.

I went up in a glider once before my accident, was a lot of fun.

Happy flying!

Thanks Jim
    You know that you can still go up in a small plane or glider. The transfer is kind of hard. But with help one can do almost anything.

That's great you have been able to get up flying again When I was little I would watch them flying over the valley by coquille and thought it had to be the greatest thing. It's one of those things I wish I would have done while I still could.

Will you be able to adapt it so you can go up on your own?
    c3/c4, injured 2007

There use to be an organization. The para aviators or para pilots, something like that. They had access to rudder controls so you could fly yourself.

flyiing w/ hand controls

I was able to earn a Private Pilots license back in 1990. I used a set of Union Aviation controls to fly a Cessna 172 177 and the 177rg. It was great. The International Wheelchair Aviators are still around. IWA.org... i'll bet you could modify them to work on your ultralight.

The beach looks like a great place to fly. RUnway for miles!!!!!!!
    L1 Complete - Injury 3/12/06 - Grateful to be alive!!!!

The plane on the far left, in the beach pic. is two axes, no feet required. He made in out there with us no problem

Earned my Private Pilot's license back in 1993. Flew a Piper 140/160/180 with Blackwood Hand Controls. I loved flying even though the cockpit was cramped (I'm 6'7" tall) and Texas heat on the tarmac is unbelievable.

I'd love to fly again but the cost is just astronomical.

I dream of owning a two-seater sailplane with an electric motor like the Antares 20E or the Sunseeker II. I really am intrigued by the Sunseeker II because of its use of solar cells. (Still need to see that glide ratio though!)