Thread: Need to get the hand control brake closer to me....

Need to get the hand control brake closer to me....

So my new chair won't get close enough for me to fully, comfortably, depress the brake...I just need the brake to be like 2 inches closer, seems like there should be some kind of extender out there?
    Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

Blog Entries
    There used to be a brake pedal extender for really short people that you could bolt on to the existing pedal. My 2008 Grand Caravan has an adjustable brake pedal. There is a switch under the steering wheel that moves it nearer or closer to the floor/firewall.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Maybe a different style control would work, wish there was somewhere I could see the measurments etc. I currently use a push/pull system, MPD i THINK.... just seems to me I should be able to just get longer rods or something....can't see anything online though.
    Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

Blog Entries
    Emily, most hand controls have some adjustability in the length of the rod(s) going down to the pedals. There may be a problem lengthening a push-pull system in that if it is adjusted so that you can now reach the handle to push down for the brake, you won't have room to pull back to accelerate without hitting the steering wheel. If you switch to push to brake and use a motorcycle type twist handle to accelerate, that may fix the problem.

What kind of van do you have now? If you can take a photo of your system, I may be able to figure out how to fix the problem.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Go to www.mobilityproductsdesign.com and check out this one

4400AB Accelerator & Brake Pedal Extensions by Veigel
    Utilizing the same quick release sytem as the pedal guard, our pedal extensions can be removed in seconds with out the use of tools. Also available for brake/clutch.

Saw my DME today, he is confident he can make it work, just by doing some adjusting and getting an offset handle maybe.... will wait until my new chair is here, as it will be different than the demo.