Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Tilite experience causes New Chair

Tilite experience causes New Chair

My Tlite experience....
    I got a Tilite ZR last fall and have had nothing but problems from day one with it.

The biggest problem is the folding back rest is a crap, crap, crap!

The back pins that hold the folding back rest bar on continue to work there way out. I got it replaced once which made no difference and it only took 4 plus months.

The bolts that hold the back on continue to shear off. I have finally ran out of the spare bolts I had. I have abandoned the folding option for my backrest making it solid now. Let me tell you having the backrest break when out and about makes it extremely difficult to trust going any distance. I use to enjoy going on long (10km) wheels......not with this chair.

I was convinced to order titanium handrims, what a mistake. While they may not make ones hands dirty they are a magnet for dirt and my hands are continnuously black from these rims.

I emailed Tilite way back when I first got my chair and got no response, none, nada, nothing!

Now onto my new chair.
    I am thinking of either ordering a
    Colours Razor blade

or a Laser BT-Mg-AS

Anyone have experience with either of these? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    This will be the first chair I order myself.

Oopy

Quote Originally Posted by OopyDoopy View Post

or a Laser BT-Mg-AS

Anyone have experience with either of these? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    This will be the first chair I order myself.

Oopy
    Go for the lasher, oracing could be a good option too, RGK maxlite and panthera u2 light are good ones too.

I have a Lasher BT-Mg, solid frame. It's light. It's made well. I like it.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Lasher allthe way. Colours has umm questionable customer service also. I dealt with them and it's wasn't fun either.

Lasher is an up and coming company so want the business and have great customer service.

Quickie, Top End, Colours, Tilite all had fantastic customer service when they first started. As they grew or other companies bought them out, the C/S went doiwn the tubes.

I've been a Top End man since Chris Peterson put out his first ridgid and a Tilite guy my last two chairs. With what I hear here and have experienced, I'm not ordering from them again.

I will be going with a Lasher if their c/s and quality is still good.

The faulty new backrest hinge design (v1.0) has sure dealt one mighty body blow to TiLite's reputation. It boggles the mind that it passed their QC. I've had good and not-so-good customer service experiences with TiLite, but I have a new chair order in with them just the same: a rigid-back ZR2.

I met with Josh Anderson, TiLite's VP of Marketing at the recent NY/NJ Abilities Expo and found him to be very receptive and accommodating to my design ideas for a new chair, which I should receive, I hope, sometime around the first week of August (not yet confirmed). He's a very nice guy and very professional.

As for LasherSport, they've had their share of detractors as well (some complaining about their backrest hardware), lest anyone think that any company's got a lock on perfection and serving nothing but cupcakes and sunshine. Some have also registered complaints about Lasher's customer service.

No doubt, Lasher makes a very good product but they charge a premium's premium for it -- my out-of-pocket dollars can't justify the cost. (I have the dubious distinction of having returned a Lasher back in '05 'cause it didn't fit me as well as I'd hoped and because it felt a little homemade to me. This was before they introduced their Mg line of chairs. I've seen their more recent product at the Expo and it's nice.)

If TiLite nails the specs of my new ZR2, I won't feel that I'm missing out on anything compared to Lasher (TiLite's welds are nonpareil), and it will have cost me probably less than half of what a comparably spec'd Lasher goes for.
    Last edited by stephen212; 07-13-2011 at 09:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    The faulty new backrest hinge design (v1.0) has sure dealt one mighty body blow to TiLite's reputation. It boggles the mind that it passed their QC. I've had good and not-so-good customer service experiences with TiLite, but I have a new chair order in with them just the same: a rigid-back ZR2.
    What are you planning to do for the seat? CF seat pan? If so how do you plan to mount it? PM me if answering these questions in the forum would "steal your thunder" (Josh's response to a question I asked him during his talk at ISS).
    Last edited by SCI_OTR; 07-13-2011 at 08:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    What are you planning to do for the seat? CF seat pan? If so how do you plan to mount it? PM me if answering these questions in the forum would "steal your thunder" (Josh's response to a question I asked him during his talk at ISS).
    I have no "thunder" concerns. I'm having a CF seat pan built by Central Composites in Oregon, and it will be a single piece with (4) 3/4" routs like the one on Erick B.'s (Round Betty president) ZR2. Central Composites is also making me a set of low-profile side guards styled after ones designed by Doug Garven used on some of his previous designs.

The chair will be unique (or at least the first) to use oval tubing for the under frame and back rigidizers. The under frame tubing will not be bent, so it will be very inconspicuous, and the back rigidzer will be bent in a continuous arc (i.e., no angled bends). The back posts will use the same round 1.25" tubing as the seat frame.

For splash: orange spoke Round Betty Dinos and anodized orange FL Unitine forks and casters.
    Last edited by stephen212; 07-13-2011 at 09:13 PM.

Mounted on the frame like Erick [RB]'s?

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    Mounted on the frame like Erick [RB]'s?
    With Velcro, like Erick's. And like the CF pans I have on my Halls and ZRc (one of which I might wind up selling).

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    I have no "thunder" concerns. I'm having a CF seat pan built by Central Composites in Oregon, and it will be a single piece with (4) 3/4" routs like the one on Erick B.'s (Round Betty president) ZR2. Central Composites is also making me a set of low-profile side guards styled after ones designed by Doug Garven used on some of his previous designs.

The chair will be unique (or at least the first) to use oval tubing for the under frame and back rigidizers. The under frame tubing will not be bent, so it will be very inconspicuous, and the back rigidzer will be bent in a continuous arc (i.e., no angled bends). The back posts will use the same round 1.25" tubing as the seat frame.

For splash: orange spoke Round Betty Dinos and anodized orange FL Unitine forks and casters.

Sounds very sweet. I really liked the arched rigidizer bar on the new Top End box frame chair coming out later this year, I bet it will be nice in the larger tubing. The flat cross bar to help support the CF?

Btw, I totally agree with your take on Lasher. Though I love the backrest hardware.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.