Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wheelchair users say TSA search went too far

Wheelchair users say TSA search went too far

There is a companion video news story at this link:

http://www.wtsp.com/news/topstories/...h-went-too-far

9:50 AM, Jul 13, 2011 |

Written by Isabel Macarenas

New Port Richey, Florida - Airport security is a part of traveling these days, from walking through X-Ray machines to being patted down. But one New Port Richey couple contacted 10 News to say the search they received went too far.
    "It was extremely thorough, almost a violation, "says Jason Steitler as he describes how a TSA official searched him at the Greater Rochester International Airport July 6th. Steitler's disability requires he uses a wheelchair.
    "They did the hair then did the neck. Then they had me do a pushup in my chair, then got down into my inner thigh around my back side. It's the most thorough search [I've] had done in my life," says Steitler.
    Steitler and his wife, Jennifer, were heading home to New Port Richey that morning. She too is in a wheel chair and was searched by a TSA official.
    "She's been using the phrase 'search raped' because it was that thorough. She says it was nearly to her crotch," says Steitler. "I feel the chair should have option of either scanner or searches, but automatically we're being thrown to being patted down."
    Steitler says they've complained to the TSA about their experience at Rochester International Airport, but all they've received back is a standard form letter.
    "Just the standard reply to everything: 'In order to fly you have to be searched,'" says Steitler.
    In an email to the Steitlers, a TSA official writes, "We apologize for any insensitivity or inappropriate treatment you experienced during the screening process."
    In another email, a TSA official says, "We believe these security measures are necessary and appropriate for ensuring the security and confidence of all air travelers."
    The Steitlers say they are not opposed to the searches, just the way the disabled are treated when it's done. Steitler says, "Generally, be fair about it. Don't hold the disabled up to more scrutiny just because they are in chairs."
    Noah Lebowitz, the director of communications for Monroe County and spokesperson for Greater Rochester International Airport, tells 10 News in a written statement, "The Greater Rochester International Airport always strives to provide outstanding customer service to our passengers and ensure that they enjoy a convenient and safe travel experience. The security screening protocols in question are the jurisdiction of the federal government through the Transportation Security Administration (TSA). If any passenger believes that our airport could have provided them with an enhanced customer experience, we encourage them to contact us."
    Steitler says he plans to become an advocate for the disabled until he feels the security protocol is fair and equal for all.

They did the hair then did the neck. Then they had me do a pushup in my chair, then got down into my inner thigh around my back side. It's the most thorough search [I've] had done in my life," says Steitler.
    Whaaa. Don't fly then. I get this done twice a month when I fly, its a fact of life. She either needs to grow up or is just looking to sue and play the crip card to get a settlement.

These kinds of searches for folks in chairs have been standard procedure for the last several years. The TSA folks that I have dealt with have been very professional and didn't seem over eager to cop a feel. I think their procedures are a lot tighter now than they used to be and actually make sense.

Right after 9/11, they rarely checked folks in chairs and I used to think to myself that it would be very easy to get something through security since they didn't check my chair or me thoroughly. While the extra pat down and examination of my chair takes a little longer it is usually compensated for by the airport attendants (in my hometown airport) moving me to the front of the security line which saves me about 30 minutes on average.

Yrs back these airport Jerks did this to me @ first I was like offended then realized that they are doing their jobs trying not to have another shoe bomber nut board a plane

I still think these pat downs are rediculous because I can not stand or do their thing'ss these airport ppl want like getting out of my wheelchair sorry TSA officials but I am very messed up . I'll give you all a Dr's note proving my disability .

Just scan my ass and look @ my wheelchair leave me alone I am in enough pain ...
    As for patting me down if anyone goes near my crotch I will knock them flat on their butts . Dont Feel me up .

Why can't we go through the scanners? I know why the metal detectors, but why not the scanners? They could still swab the chairs. I'd get out and lay down on the luggage xray thing to be scanned to avoid being touched if they'd let me.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Quote Originally Posted by addiesue View Post
    Why can't we go through the scanners? I know why the metal detectors, but why not the scanners? They could still swab the chairs. I'd get out and lay down on the luggage xray thing to be scanned to avoid being touched if they'd let me.

BTW Florida TSA Airport security ppl many barely speak english or have decent manners
    I say this proudly because I have been flying to FLa airports many yrs frigging Jerks kiss my ass ya all
    I'll mannered perverts

They know who they are
    If I want to have a orgy i'll go to playboy mansion lol

It sounds funny but I am deadly serious. I hate that, but I still fly. I have some type of ptsd from being raped. It takes me the whole day to mentally prepare for it and a while afterward to settle down.

Plus for some reason it takes a while to find a female. Last time I flew out of Chicago they only had 3 women working. I don't have time for that I am always running late....
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

I see no problem with this...search me all you want. Do what you need to do to keep us all safe.
    Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

Hi addiesue
    I also was raped so I have PTSD issues like you explained
    They usually make me late because of ignorance one time I missed my flight because of these TSA problems

And where I usually fly they usually do not speak much English go Figure ? Castro

Maybe they Govt can offer TSA foreighn officials a ( Hooked on Phonics )
    teaching CD DVD