Page 8 of 104 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171858 ... LastLast

Thread: Spinal Cord Injury Articles Posted by Manouli

That is no money, that is peanuts! We need million and million of dollars to get results.

Posted on July 28, 2011
    Deadline: December 15, 2011

Reeve Foundation Individual Research Grants Program to Support Spinal Cord Injury Treatment Projects

The Christopher & Dana Reeve Foundation Individual Grants Program seeks to fund meritorious science that is targeted at developing effective therapies for paralysis and dysfunctions caused by spinal cord injury and other central nervous system disorders.

The program was founded on the understanding that effective treatments for acute and chronic spinal cord injury will involve carefully orchestrated multidisciplinary interventions, each tailored to the individual patient. For this reason, the Individual Grants Program, the largest and most comprehensive of the Reeve Foundation's research initiatives, supports investigator-initiated research on a variety of fronts.

more...

http://foundationcenter.org/pnd/rfp/...F?id=243100021
    Last edited by manouli; 07-28-2011 at 12:52 PM.

TRENDS IN SPINAL CORD INJURY MANAGEMENT
    July 28, 2011 Neurology No Comments

An ailment not to be treated ‘ said the edwin papyrus in 3000 BC. History of spinal cord injury is as old as human civilization.before world war ii an injury to the spinal cord was considered to be a fatal condition.if one did not die as a result of the injury he would probably die within weeks or months from complications.an improved understanding of sci post world war ii lead to better management ,enabling many people survive their injuries.during past five decades the understanding of the care of SCI victim has developed and improved more than during privious fifty centuries. improved understanding of the caution and management of bladder dysfunction and bed sores accounted for significant survival rate .over the yearsseveral advancements in the field of physiotherapy and rehabilitation methods,as well as in the attitude of the society have solved several problems of SCI resulting in a near normal, productive life span.

read....

http://www.pacificphysiotherapy.com/?p=144

StemCells, Inc. Reports Second Quarter Financial Results
    NEWARK, Calif., Jul 28, 2011 (GlobeNewswire via COMTEX) --

quote:

StemCells is currently conducting a Phase I/II clinical trial in chronic spinal cord injury in Switzerland, and expects to enroll and dose the first cohort of that trial this year. The Company has completed patient enrollment in a Phase I trial in Pelizaeus-Merzbacher disease (PMD), a fatal myelination disorder in children, and plans to initiate a Phase I/II clinical trial early next year in Age-Related Macular Degeneration, the leading cause of vision loss and blindness in people over the age of 55.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....448&highlight=

you can email him if you have a question.

Stories of Inspiration
    Rob - Spinal Cord Injury

At The Rose Center, a physical therapy clinic in Redding, California, the word HOPE is painted in large letters in the middle of the floor.

"The Rose Center teaches its patients to never give up. There's always hope," says Center Director, Rob. The Center opened on March 2, 2005, fulfilling a vision of a clinic for all patients who want to continue therapy, despite discouraging odds.

Rob knows a lot about hope and courage. A car accident in January 2003 left this former triathlete and extreme sport fanatic a quadriplegic. He was near death many times in the weeks following his accident. When he transferred to a rehabilitation center six weeks later, he was told he'd never be able to move.

"I now can walk about 300 * 400 feet with a walker and a brace on my leg," says Rob. "I think that's due largely to our refusal to let anyone or anything take away our hope."

read...

http://cms.carepages.com/CarePages/e...Pages_20110728
    Last edited by manouli; 07-28-2011 at 09:46 PM.

Rob hasn't got an incomplete injury by any chance? Or can courage turn a so called complete injury into incomplete?

I'm not a brave person and I was never given any encouragement to try and walk again and so I guess that's why I remained a 'complete' paraplegic.

@Christopher: I feel bad that you are bitter and hopeless feeling. Is there something the SCI community can do to make it better for you? We haven't found a cure yet, but surely there is something that could be done for you to feel better and help with the depression you feel. It is not your lack of bravery or the lack of others encouraging words that would turn you from a complete injury to incomplete and change your diagnosis.
    Last edited by GRAMMY; 07-29-2011 at 12:01 AM.

Once again, thanks for the thought

I was partly trying to suggest that Rob is able to do some walking because he did not suffer what is called a 'complete' injury. I am not sure the Rose Center is entirely ethical. But I'm probably wrong

Yes I'm bitter at times - I'm having a hard time right now - I don't think the SCI community can do anything as they are more hard and critical than anybody else in my experience. I've been called all sorts of names in the past.

I come here for cure information and answers from Wise Young -

I don't read anything in the article that leads me to believe that the Rose Center physical therapy isn't ethical, nor did the article say he was a "complete" quad. In fact, many incomplete quads do not walk, but everyone hopes to.

I'm sorry you have been called names. Hopefully Dr. Young will be able to help you.
    Last edited by GRAMMY; 07-29-2011 at 01:05 AM.

No, you're probably right - it's more the way some of these articles are written that suggest a place is curing sci.

However, to suggest there is always HOPE, without any medical intervention, is that not unethical or at least inaccurate?

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Paddon View Post
    However, to suggest there is always HOPE, without any medical intervention, is that not unethical or at least inaccurate?
    Hardly so...Take notice of the chronic sci clinical trial in China. Do you know why this is being done?
    http://clinicaltrials.gov/archive/NC...977/2011_07_13

Purpose
    The morbidity of spinal cord injury (SCI) is increasing significantly in China. The methods to treat SCI patients in sequela stage update are poor. Though traditional rehabilitation therapy is the routine method to treat SCI in sequela stage, its effect to improve the neurological disorders of these patients, such as the dysfunction of sense, motor, autologous adjustment of blood pressure control of urination and defecation, perspiration , etc. is unsatisfying. Rehabilitation Therapy can prevent the process of muscle atrophy and joint stiffness. However, it can not repair the damaged nerve function. Studies show that mesenchymal stem cell transplantation can remarkably improve the neurological function of SCI in animals without any severe side effect.
    In this study, the investigators use mesenchymal stem cells derived from umbilical cord to treat 40 SCI patients (20 cases in early stage and 20 cases in sequela stage). The investigators also follow-up ten patients who only receive rehabilitation and another ten outpatients who accept neither stem cell therapy nor rehabilitation. On this basis, the investigators can compare the efficacy of these two treatments.
    Last edited by GRAMMY; 07-29-2011 at 04:36 AM.