Page 60 of 109 FirstFirst ... 10505152535455565758596061626364656667686970 ... LastLast

Thread: Spinal Cord Injury Articles Posted by Manouli

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    Quote Originally Posted by manouli View Post
    Cambridge Firm Launches First-Of-Its-Kind Spinal Cord Injury Study
    By Lynn Jolicoeur May 21, 2013
    CAMBRIDGE, Mass. — For many people with spinal cord injuries, the word “cure” is one they hesitate to say. Some follow spinal cord injury research closely; others choose not to.

But one FDA-approved study upcoming from a Cambridge firm is attracting a lot of attention because it marks a major milestone in spinal cord injury research.

InVivo Therapeutics Corp. CEO Frank Reynolds. Reynolds was paralyzed for eight days in 1992. (Lynn Jolicoeur/WBUR)

‘Scaffold’ Study

Four floors up at One Kendall Square here in Cambridge, in the labs and machine-shop-like rooms of InVivo Therapeutics Corp., CEO Frank Reynolds hopes to shake up the world of spinal cord injury research.

“This is our chemistry lab,” he said while giving me a tour. “So all of our chemical engineering is done here. Our hydrogels and scaffolds are all made right in here. So we invent, discover and make right here.”

One of the products InVivo makes is a tiny, sponge-like device that they call it a “scaffold.” The company has received FDA approval for a safety study of the scaffold. The study will be small scale — just five patients. But it’s a big deal for another reason. It will be the first time a device to treat spinal cord injury will be studied in humans.

The study subjects will undergo surgery to have the scaffold inserted directly into their spinal cords. The biodegradable scaffold is meant to do its work in six weeks and then dissolve.

“If you visually picture a cigarette filter, you know, cigarette filters are very light,” Reynolds explained to me. “They’re a little airy. It’s shaped like that, because the spinal cord is round. It’s a cylinder.”

read....

http://www.wbur.org/2013/05/21/spina...esearch-invivo
    Anybody have any more information on the rowing machine with Estim that David Estrada in the article is using ???

Hormone signal drives motor neuron growth, fish study shows
    May 23, 2013 in Medical research

A discovery made in fish could aid research into motor neuron disease.

Ads by Google

Scientists have found that a key hormone allows young zebrafish to develop and replace their motor neurons – a kind of nerve cell found in the spinal cord.

The discovery may aid efforts to create neurons from stem cells in the lab, and support further research into a disorder for which there is still no cure.

In humans, motor neurons control important muscle activities such as speaking, walking and breathing. When these cells stop working, it causes difficulties in motor functions and leads to paralysis and death.

While humans cannot replace motor neurons when they break down, zebrafish can, making them a good model for research.

The study, led by scientists at the University of Edinburgh's Centre for Neuroregeneration, is the first to show that a signal released from the fish's brain – a hormone called dopamine – triggers the development and regeneration of cells in the spinal cord.

Dopamine acts on a mechanism – known as the hedgehog pathway – to increase the number of motor neurons formed in the developing spinal cord of zebrafish.

The dopamine signal was found to act in a similar way to replace damaged cells in adult zebrafish.

read...

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2013-0...owth-fish.html

This might work for lower injuries but still away from humans

Neuralstem Sees Breakthrough In Spinal Cord Injury
    May 30 2013, 13:35 by: PropThink | about: CUR

By Jason Napodano, CFA

Earlier in the week, Neuralstem, Inc (CUR) announced the publication of preclinical data in the journal of Stem Cell Research & Therapy demonstrating that rats transplanted with its spinal cord-derived human neural stem cells, NSI-566, three days after a spinal cord injury at L3 (lumbar 3), showed improvement along several measures of motor function and a reduction of spasticity. The paper, "Amelioration of Motor/Sensory Dysfunction and Spasticity in a Rat Model of Acute Lumbar Spinal Cord Injury by Human Neural Stem Cell Transplantation," was led by principal investigator, Martin Marsala, MD, of the University of California, San Diego School of Medicine

continue....

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1470...y?source=yahoo

I saw this in the local news rhe other day. Sounds good yeah?

Patients With Traumatic Spinal Injuries Benefit From Cell Replacement Therapy With Fetal Human Stem Cells
    Main Category: Neurology / Neuroscience
    Also Included In: Stem Cell Research
    Article Date: 29 May 2013

Human foetal stem cell grafts improve both motor and sensory functions in rats suffering from a spinal cord injury, according to research published this week in BioMed Central's open access journal Stem Cell Research and Therapy. This cell replacement therapy also improves the structural integrity of the spine, providing a functional relay through the injury site. The research gives hope for the treatment of spinal cord injuries in humans.

Grafting human neural stem cells into the spine is a promising approach to promote the recovery of function after spinal injury. Sebastian van Gorp, from the University of California San Diego, and team's work looks specifically at the effect of intraspinal grafting of human foetal spinal cord-derived neural stem cells on the recovery of neurological function in a rats with acute lumbar compression injuries.

more....
    http://www.medilexicon.com/medicalne...?newsid=261076

This seems to me that is for chronics too because says the one or two years with spinal cord injury to try trials. So I like this.

quote:
    According to the scientists, the next step will be to conduct a small phase 1 trial in order to test for safety and effectiveness with patients who have suffered a thoracic spinal cord injury within the previous one or two years, and who have no motor or sensory function at or below the spinal injury site.

Breakthrough In Use Of Stem Cells To Treat Spinal Cord Injuries
    May 28, 2013

http://www.redorbit.com/news/health/...-breakthrough-

manouli,

with all the articles you read every day, what is the current atmosphere in sci research? do you see trials within the next year or 2? a cure in the future?

How do you feel about all this. clearly with all this research, all these years, you remain hopeful. I stopped reading and looking 2-3 years ago, and so I ask.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Imight View Post
    manouli,

with all the articles you read every day, what is the current atmosphere in sci research? do you see trials within the next year or 2? a cure in the future?

How do you feel about all this. clearly with all this research, all these years, you remain hopeful. I stopped reading and looking 2-3 years ago, and so I ask.

Imight hi, please don't lose your hope. As long we are alive, there is hope. Many companies, as you read now, are doing trials and they are very optimistic with their results. I know it seems it takes for ever, and probably is true but I feel it's getting better because they do their trials with humans now, it will give them clear view what is working and what is not. I just turn 60 years old, and I know before I die the cure will be here and I'll die standing up. Life without of hope is not worth of living. Keep your eyes open and read what is going on so you won't miss anything new, and if you can help to speed it up do so. The other day, I was watching the news and they were talking about stem cell results trials on spinal cord, and it was good news. Please forgive me, I don't try to tell you what to do and how to feel, but you just asked me how I feel, now you know. We only have one life to live, and got unlucky, it does not mean that we always be unlucky for the rest of our lives, might good things are coming to us, soon, now, later. I truly hope so!

be well, manouli.

Imight hi, please don't lose your hope. As long we are alive, there is hope. Many companies, as you read now, are doing trials and they are very optimistic with their results. I know it seems it takes for ever, and probably is true but I feel it's getting better because they do their trials with humans now, it will give them clear view what is working and what is not. I just turn 60 years old, and I know before I die the cure will be here and I'll die standing up. Life without of hope is not worth of living. Keep your eyes open and read what is going on so you won't miss anything new, and if you can help to speed it up do so. The other day, I was watching the news and they were talking about stem cell results trials on spinal cord, and it was good news. Please forgive me, I don't try to tell you what to do and how to feel, but you just asked me how I feel, now you know. We only have one life to live, and got unlucky, it does not mean that we always be unlucky for the rest of our lives, might good things are coming to us, soon, now, later. I truly hope so!

be well, manouli.
    Well said manouli!

be well, manouli.
    I thought that was your job so we don't have to :P
    Debating on CareCure is like participating in the special-olympics. You may win, but you're still disabled.