Page 59 of 111 FirstFirst ... 9495051525354555657585960616263646566676869109 ... LastLast

Thread: Spinal Cord Injury Articles Posted by Manouli

New treatment offers hope for those with spinal cord injuries
    A new study indicates that a combination of stem cell and physical therapy can help SCI patients regain both sensation and continence control.

April 06, 2013 /24-7PressRelease/ -- For those who have suffered a spinal cord injury, regaining the ability to walk is the ultimate goal. Unfortunately, in most cases, this is simply not possible. A new study indicates, however, that a combination of stem cell and physical therapy can help SCI patients regain both sensation and continence control.
    This development looks pretty exciting. I wonder if this procedure & therapy will start being offered to a lot more people??
    C4/5 incomplete, 17 years since injury

"The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” - Carlos Castaneda

"We live not alone but chained to a creature of a different kingdom: our body." - Marcel Proust

Study reveals new method to restore grip function in people with tetraplegia
    Published on April 11, 2013 at 5:49 AM · No Comments

A new method in which a number of operations are performed simultaneously can provide people with tetraplegia with a better grip function and the ability to open their hand. This method also shortens the patient's rehabilitation period by at least three months, reveals a doctoral thesis from the Sahlgrenska Academy, University of Gothenburg, Sweden.

If the neck is broken and there is a cervical spinal cord injury, muscles in the arm and hand are paralysed. But in many cases some muscle functions remain, which makes it possible to transfer muscles and tendons and thereby restore a tetraplegic person's grip function.

more...

http://www.news-medical.net/news/201...y-reveals-new-

Quote Originally Posted by manouli View Post
    New treatment offers hope for those with spinal cord injuries
    A new study indicates that a combination of stem cell and physical therapy can help SCI patients regain both sensation and continence control.

April 06, 2013 /24-7PressRelease/ -- For those who have suffered a spinal cord injury, regaining the ability to walk is the ultimate goal. Unfortunately, in most cases, this is simply not possible. A new study indicates, however, that a combination of stem cell and physical therapy can help SCI patients regain both sensation and continence control.

Researchers at the Robert Wood Johnson Medical School recently published findings from a clinical trial in the journal Cell Transplantation. The trial included 70 patients who had suffered spinal cord injuries and had been treated for at least six months without any improvement. The patients were divided into two groups, one of which received stem cells derived from their own bone marrow injected at the site of their injuries. Both groups received physical therapy. Over the course of 18 months, researchers evaluated patients from both groups to assess both their physical and neurological progress.

continue...

http://world.einnews.com/247pr/338442
    This is pretty unreal news. Does anyone have a link to the actual paper?

edit: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23452836

Quote Originally Posted by cripwalk View Post
    This is pretty unreal news. Does anyone have a link to the actual paper?

edit: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23452836
    I believe this is the same Egyptian story just retold
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Rewiring a Damaged Spinal Cord [Video]
    New treatments leverage “neuroplasticity,” the nervous system’s innate ability to repair itself

By Luciana Gravotta

When Christopher Reeve became quadriplegic, there was little hope for patients with spinal cord injury. Now researchers are combining what they know about the central nervous system’s ability to rewire and regrow with a new understanding of the hidden smarts of the spinal cord to dramatically improve treatments.

Even the most devastating spinal cord injuries usually do not completely sever the link between the brain, spine and the rest of the body. Scientists are now finding ways to make the most of the remaining connections using a variety of technologies. Studies on electrical stimulation and locomotor training (a treatment that relies on human or robotic assistance during a walking exercise) suggest that it is possible to regrow damaged neuronal circuits in the brain and spine and recover some voluntary control. Some of these studies find that circuits in the spinal cord itself can be coaxed into helping the body move again

read...

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...damaged-spinal

Quote Originally Posted by muskie View Post
    I believe this is the same Egyptian story just retold
    I am not familiar with the 'egyptian story.' Can you (or anyone else) fill me in on it or direct me to a link?

Debating on CareCure is like participating in the special-olympics. You may win, but you're still disabled.

first time I saw his post and I like him.

Exploring the Frontiers of Recovery From Spinal Cord Injury

In 2010 a fall from a second-story window nearly killed me. I broke my back and the damage to my spinal cord left me paralyzed from the waist down. From the moment I hit the ground I joined a global community of people who, according to the experts, have no hope of recovery from complete spinal cord injury. But what if the experts are wrong?

Only 60 years ago patients with a spinal cord injury had an 80 percent chance of being dead within a year. The 20 percent who survived were likely to be institutionalized. But in 1940s in England, Doctor Guttman wasn't prepared to accept the status quo and he founded the first spinal unit in the world at Stoke Mandeville Hospital. His work transformed spinal cord injury from a death sentence to a manageable injury with near normal life expectancy.

So why not a dramatic change in prognosis now from "no chance of further recovery" to "some functional recovery" in the next 60 years? The answer I suspect lies somewhere in the misplaced fear of offering false hope.

more...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mark-p...b_2875485.html

New Drug May Help Those with Spinal Cord Injuries

Spinal cord injuries are a serious problem in the United States,for which there is no cure. However, a new drug offers hope that patients may regain some bodily functions after an SCI.

May 10, 2013 /24-7PressRelease/ -- New Drug May Help Those with Spinal Cord Injuries

Article provided by The Office of Scott M. Donaldson, P.S.
    Visit us at http://www.injuryclaim.com/

Spinal cord injuries (SCIs) are a serious problem in the United States. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), approximately 200,000 people are currently living with SCI in the United States. Each year, approximately 12,000 to 20,000 new cases occur each year. Depending on the severity of the injury, the costs associated with SCI can be significant: experts estimate that the average annual medical cost can be anywhere from $15,000 to $30,000 or more.

What makes SCIs particularly devastating is that there is no cure. Although doctors can stabilize spinal cord injuries, there are no therapies that can heal the injury completely. As a result, patients who lose control of bodily functions due to an SCI can never regain them.

According to a new study out of Ohio State University, however, a new drug offers hope that patients may regain some bodily functions after an SCI. The drug, called LM11A-31, works by blocking the release of a protein after SCI that destroys nerve cells protecting axons, the structures that help transmit motor impulses from the brain to the rest of the body.

read...

http://www.24-7pressrelease.com/pres...cord-injuries-

http://www.24-7pressrelease.com/pres...ies-334613.php
    Last edited by manouli; 05-11-2013 at 04:38 PM.

Cambridge Firm Launches First-Of-Its-Kind Spinal Cord Injury Study
    By Lynn Jolicoeur May 21, 2013
    CAMBRIDGE, Mass. — For many people with spinal cord injuries, the word “cure” is one they hesitate to say. Some follow spinal cord injury research closely; others choose not to.

But one FDA-approved study upcoming from a Cambridge firm is attracting a lot of attention because it marks a major milestone in spinal cord injury research.

InVivo Therapeutics Corp. CEO Frank Reynolds. Reynolds was paralyzed for eight days in 1992. (Lynn Jolicoeur/WBUR)

‘Scaffold’ Study

Four floors up at One Kendall Square here in Cambridge, in the labs and machine-shop-like rooms of InVivo Therapeutics Corp., CEO Frank Reynolds hopes to shake up the world of spinal cord injury research.

“This is our chemistry lab,” he said while giving me a tour. “So all of our chemical engineering is done here. Our hydrogels and scaffolds are all made right in here. So we invent, discover and make right here.”

One of the products InVivo makes is a tiny, sponge-like device that they call it a “scaffold.” The company has received FDA approval for a safety study of the scaffold. The study will be small scale — just five patients. But it’s a big deal for another reason. It will be the first time a device to treat spinal cord injury will be studied in humans.

The study subjects will undergo surgery to have the scaffold inserted directly into their spinal cords. The biodegradable scaffold is meant to do its work in six weeks and then dissolve.

“If you visually picture a cigarette filter, you know, cigarette filters are very light,” Reynolds explained to me. “They’re a little airy. It’s shaped like that, because the spinal cord is round. It’s a cylinder.”

read....

http://www.wbur.org/2013/05/21/spina...esearch-invivo