Page 12 of 106 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212262 ... LastLast

Thread: Spinal Cord Injury Articles Posted by Manouli

this is interesting and with him probably running for president.

Quote Originally Posted by manouli View Post
    check this out.

Texas governor's surgery included adult stem cells

AUSTIN, Texas — Doctors used adult stem cells to help Texas Gov. Rick Perry with his back surgery last month.

A spokesman said the stem cells were used in an "innovative way." The cells were taken from Perry's body and applied to the area where doctors decompressed a nerve and fused part of his spine. Adult stem cell therapy is different from using embryonic cells, which Perry opposes.

read....

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44032518
    http://justadollarplease.org/

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member

"You kids and your cures, why back when I was injured they gave us a wheelchair and that's the way it was and we liked it!" Grumpy Old Man

.."i used to be able to goof around so much because i knew Superman had my back. now all i've got is his example -- and that's gonna have to be enough."

At least Perry knows the difference between adult/embryonic and supports the use of the former. Most politicians who oppose embryonic dont know the difference and stop funding for both. Bush was a prime example.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    At least Perry knows the difference between adult/embryonic and supports the use of the former. Most politicians who oppose embryonic dont know the difference and stop funding for both. Bush was a prime example.
    Maybe Perry can be persuaded to support both.

Nicholls grad ready to walk again

Nate Monroe
    Staff Writer

Published: Monday, August 8, 2011 at 11:27 a.m.
    Last Modified: Monday, August 8, 2011 at 11:27 a.m.

With a business-management degree in hand, former Thibodaux High School football player Myron Wright said he is ready to double-down on his efforts to walk again.

“I want to try and finish something I started,” he said. “I’m asking the community to help me receive another chance.”

Wright, then a reserve wide receiver for Thibodaux High, was slammed from behind by a player from the opposing H.L. Bourgeois team during a game the night of Nov. 9, 2002. Bruises and swelling from the injury put pressure on his spinal cord and left him paralyzed from the shoulders down.

read...

http://www.dailycomet.com/article/20...to-walk-again-

August 09, 2011 06:00 AM Eastern Daylight Time
    InVivo Therapeutics Sponsors Working 2 Walk Spinal Cord Injury Symposium

CAMBRIDGE, Mass.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--InVivo Therapeutics (OTC/BB: NVIV) today announced the Company’s Platinum level sponsorship of the 6th annual Working 2 Walk Science and Advocacy Symposium, which will take place October 16-18, 2011 in Rockville, Maryland.

Working 2 Walk (W2W) is an annual event held by Unite 2 Fight Paralysis to bring together spinal cord injury research scientists, practitioners, investors and consumers for a lively discussion of current research and strategies that will accelerate progress toward cures for paralysis. Unite 2 Fight Paralysis is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to the realization of curative therapies.

read...

http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...-2-Walk-Spinal

Erased
    Perry = Untheical snob piss poor Governor

Neuralstem Provides Business and Clinical Update
    Posted August 10, 2011

ROCKVILLE, Md., -- Neuralstem, Inc. (NYSE Amex: CUR) reported its financial results for the three months and six months period ended June 30, 2011 and provided a business and clinical update.

"The Company reached two U.S. clinical trial milestones and one important international milestone in the second Quarter," said Neuralstem's Chairman and Chief Scientific Officer Karl Johe, PhD. "We completed the first 12 ALS patients' lumbar-area transplantations, and have been approved by the trial's Safety Monitoring Board to proceed to cervical-area injections. Under our approved protocol, this data must also be reviewed by the FDA to proceed to the next step of the trial which will entail cervical-area transplantations in ambulatory ALS patients. This is an important step as we believe that the cervical injections may ultimately help patients with their breathing and swallowing."

"The dosing of healthy volunteers is near completion in our FDA-approved Phase Ia safety trial evaluating NSI-189, our first small molecule compound, for the treatment of major depression. Upon review of the data and approval, we will test the safety and tolerability of escalating doses of daily administration for 28 days in depressed patients in a Phase Ib trial. We hope to start the Ib trial early this fall," continued Dr. Johe. "Internationally, we entered into an agreement for a trial to treat chronic motor disorder from ischemic stroke with BaYi Brain Hospital in Beijing. We believe this trial will commence in early 2012. This will be the first trial where the Company's neural stem cells will be injected directly into the brain."

more...

http://dc.citybizlist.com/5/2011/8/1...al-Update.aspx

Travis Roy Wiffle ball tourament returns to Essex for 10th edition

5:08 AM, Aug. 10, 2011 |

Two dozen Wiffle ball teams will flock to Vermont’s Little Fenway Park and Little Wrigley Field this weekend to compete in the Travis Roy Foundation tournament.

Celebrating its 10-year anniversary, the competition will take place Friday through Sunday on quarter-scale replicas of the major league parks on Pat O’Connor’s property in Essex. Admission is free for spectators.

The event has raised more than $1 million for the Travis Roy Foundation, which benefits people with spinal cord injuries. Roy was paralyzed from the neck down while playing in his first college hockey game for Boston University in 1995. Last year’s tournament raised a record $377,000.

read....

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/a...|img|FRONTPAGE

08-10-2011 08:40 AM CET Print PDF file Send per mail

Walking With Anthony Gives Spinal Chord Injury Victims Hope
    Associations & Organizations
    Press release from: Walking With Anthony
    PR Agency: Konnect PR

(openPR) - Los Angeles, CA. (August 9, 2011) – Walking with Anthony, a non-profit organization raising awareness of the impact of Spinal Cord Injury (SCI), is on a mission to debunk the myth that victims of this injury have little to no chance of walking again. Something that can happen in a split second, the recovery from SCI takes years and is extremely expensive for anyone to afford, leaving most who suffer from it untreated and without hope as insurance companies usually only cover about 20 days worth of rehabilitation. While the effects of SCI are often perceived as lifelong and unchanging, through education, fundraising and sponsorship, the Walking with Anthony foundation is breaking down barriers and providing the means and hope for these individuals so that they may experience a healthy recovery.

Walking With Anthony is inspired by Anthony Purcell, a young man who was left paralyzed after a diving accident in 2010 fractured his neck and 5th and 6th vertebrae. Dedicated to providing financial assistance for SCI victims while also contributing to the expansion of rehabilitation centers and the support of research relating to SCI rehabilitation, Walking With Anthony was developed by Anthony and his mother Micki Purcell to help individuals get the treatment that they need to walk again. Today, the organization is helping where insurance can’t by providing access to some of the best SCI therapies and treatment centers across the globe.

more...

http://openpr.com/news/187015/Walkin...tims-Hope.html

Incapacity benefit was a lifeline after my accident – would I be so lucky now?
    Welfare helped me rebuild my future after a spinal cord injury

Tim Rushby-Smith
    guardian

In 2005 while working as a tree surgeon, I fell from a tree, broke my back and suffered a spinal cord injury. I spent three and a half months in hospital learning to live with paraplegia. When I was discharged, I claimed incapacity benefit. This significant contribution to our household income proved invaluable at a time in my life when all of my waking hours were taken up with managing the day-to-day practicalities of living with spinal cord injury. When I first returned home, getting up and dressed often took about three hours.

During the first year, I couldn't imagine ever working again. As my wife was five months pregnant when I had my accident, I concentrated much of my energy on being a father to our new baby. This I found intimidating and frustrating enough. The idea that I would ever be able to contribute to our family finances seemed extremely unlikely.

Things changed over time. About two years after my accident, I started writing an account of my experience. What began as pure catharsis eventually presented an opportunity to embark upon a new career.

The decision to cease claiming incapacity benefit was a hard one to make, as the financial case was far from convincing. My writing eventually became a memoir, Looking Up, which was published in 2008. On the strength of the book I began writing a column for a national newspaper, as well as features elsewhere.

Freelancing in a very competitive industry makes income unpredictable. The chronic neuropathic pain caused by the nerve damage in my back is unpredictable too. On a bad day, I can barely get up and dressed, let alone be productive.

more....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...al-cord-injury