Page 11 of 101 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202161 ... LastLast

Thread: Spinal Cord Injury Articles Posted by Manouli

On the right track for a cure
    Jul 15 2011 Written by Jackie Hickey, RN

Last week before the big Indy car race hit the track at Exhibition Place in Toronto, hundreds of runners, walkers and wheelchair racers test drove the Honda Indy track to raise money for the Canadian Spinal Research Organization’s (CSRO) 3rd annual Run, Walk, Wheel’Athon to find a cure for paralysis.
    The Canadian Spinal Research Organization (www.csro.com) is dedicated to the improvement of the physical quality of life for persons with a spinal cord injury and those with related neurological deficits, through targeted medical and scientific research. The CSRO is also committed to the reduction of spinal cord injuries through awareness programs for the general public and prevention programs for targeted groups.

The organization’s goal is to find a cure for paralysis caused by spinal cord injury or other neurological deficits.

A dashing good time was had by all once again this year at the Indy race, with energetic runners, walkers and wheelers flooding the track on a beautiful summer evening to raise funds for spinal cord injury prevention and research. Just over $5,000 was raised by many groups working together to find a cure for paralysis. But much more is needed to reach this lofty goal.

read...

http://www.bayshore.ca/caringathomeb...ck-for-a-cure/

Schwann cell implantation for spinal cord injury repair: Maximum tolerated dose in a clinically-relevant contusive SCI model

POSTER PRESENTATION
    Jeffrey Datto1, Johana Bastidas1, Miguel Martinez1, Dimitri Tahal1, Athauda Gagani1, Alexander Marcillo1, Damien Pearse1,2,3

1The Miami Project to Cure Paralysis, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Miami, Florida, United States; 2The Neuroscience Program, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Miami, Florida, United States; 3Department of Neurological Surgery, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Miami, Florida, United States

Schwann cells (SCs), the glia of the peripheral nervous system (PNS) are critical to PNS regeneration and when implanted into the injured spinal cord, improve both anatomical and functional recovery in experimental models. Pre-clinical studies to date using clinically-relevant contusion spinal cord injury (SCI) paradigms have largely only employed a single (efficacious) dose of SCs for spinal cord implantation of 2 million cells; however, for safety and toxicity purposes, it is unclear whether this dose is the maximum tolerated dose (MTD). The current pre-clinical study sought to determine the SC MTD in adult female Fischer rats receiving a moderate contusive SCI at the thoracic level using the MASCIS impactor. continue........

http://www.cts-ixa2011.org/index.php...1542&Itemid=40

have you check this lately, looks good.

clinical trials.

http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/search...&submit=Search

Published Sunday, August 07, 2011 12:07 AM
    Texas A&M team granted funding
    By MICHELLE CASADY
    michelle.casady@theeagle.com

Less invasive and more successful treatments for people with spinal cord injuries could be available soon, in part because of research that's scheduled to begin this October at the Texas A&M College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences.

The Department of Defense awarded a $900,000 competitive grant to a team of researchers, led by Jonathan Levine, who is an assistant professor in neurology at the CVM.

The team will also collaborate with researchers at the University of California San Francisco.

It is hoped that the study of naturally occurring spinal cord injuries in dogs will lead to better treatments for humans.

"What's been done in labs across the country is the study of spinal cord injuries in rodents, where the spinal cord is traumatized purposefully, and then treatments are given," Levine said. "But the 70 or so treatments in rodents that have shown promise, when they're taken to human clinical trials, very few have worked."

read....

http://www.theeagle.com/local/A-amp-...ranted-funding

Quote Originally Posted by manouli View Post
    have you check this lately, looks good. clinical trials.

http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/search...&submit=Search
    Just skimming through I like the one about L-Carnitine for treatment of fatigue/depression in spinal cord injury (also in trials for cancer patients).

I scoff at the Miami Project update, lol.

I can count on one hand how many had to deal with actually trying to treat paralysis at its source. Out of 372 .. and a lot of those were withdrawn, terminated, completed or had an unknown status.

I still hate this one thread for all the interesting articles you find.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Getting spinal injury victims back on their feet

Getting spinal injury victims back on their feet
    University of Auckland, Fuseworks August 8, 2011, 5:50 am

New Zealand's first Spinal Cord Injury Research Unit, dedicated to gaining a better understanding of the causes of disability following injury and to developing new treatments towards a cure, will be launched at The University of Auckland this week.

The research unit, based in the University's Centre for Brain Research and established through a generous half million-dollar donation by the CatWalk Spinal Cord Injury Trust, will provide a focus for expertise and maintain spinal injury research models for researchers from throughout New Zealand working on spinal cord injury and repair.

In addition, the unit will grow international collaborations, as well as playing a key role educating students in spinal injury research, raising clinical awareness and training emerging neuroscientists.

Current research carried out by Professor Louise Nicholson, Professor Colin Green and Dr Simon O'Carroll at the Faculty of Medical and Health Sciences has discovered one of the critical changes that take place after spinal cord injury is an increase in the number of communicating channels, called gap junctions, between nerve cells.

continue....

http://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/top-sto...-on-their-feet

I'm thinking about talking to my Dr. about L-Carnitine for my fatigue. Has anybody tried it and noticed a improvement? I"m not eligible for the ICORD study and couldn't afford 4 trips to Vancouver anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    I'm thinking about talking to my Dr. about L-Carnitine for my fatigue. Has anybody tried it and noticed a improvement? I"m not eligible for the ICORD study and couldn't afford 4 trips to Vancouver anyway.
    by what i read, i'd like to try L-Carnitine. like most of us sci, i'm always feeling tired and run down.

FAT + OXYGEN + L-CARNITINE = ENERGY

http://www.vanderbilt.edu/AnS/psycho...gy/l-carni.htm
    "I'm manic as hell-
    But I'm goin' strong-
    Left my meds on the sink again-
    My head will be racing by lunchtime"

<----Scott Weiland---->

August 08, 2011 03:30 AM Eastern Daylight Time
    Allergan’s BOTOX® Receives A Positive Opinion in Fourteen European Countries for Urinary Incontinence in Patients with MS or Spinal Cord Injury
    BOTOX® injections can provide long-lasting bladder control for patients with neurogenic bladder

MARLOW, United Kingdom--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Allergan is pleased to announce that BOTOX® (botulinum toxin type A) has received a positive opinion from the Irish Medicines Board for the management of urinary incontinence in adults with neurogenic detrusor overactivity (NDO) resulting from neurogenic bladder due to stable sub-cervical spinal cord injury, or multiple sclerosis.1 This is an important step towards securing national licences in the 14 European countries involved in the Mutual Recognition Procedure and marks a key milestone in bringing this innovative treatment to patients suffering from urinary incontinence due to neurogenic detrusor overactivity. The positive opinion is specific for BOTOX® and is based on Allergan’s successful global phase III programme.

read....

http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...rteen-European

wow, almost 1 million

anyone know about this researcher or live near his lab

Quote Originally Posted by manouli View Post
    Published Sunday, August 07, 2011 12:07 AM
    Texas A&M team granted funding
    By MICHELLE CASADY
    michelle.casady@theeagle.com

Less invasive and more successful treatments for people with spinal cord injuries could be available soon, in part because of research that's scheduled to begin this October at the Texas A&M College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences.

The Department of Defense awarded a $900,000 competitive grant to a team of researchers, led by Jonathan Levine, who is an assistant professor in neurology at the CVM.

The team will also collaborate with researchers at the University of California San Francisco.

It is hoped that the study of naturally occurring spinal cord injuries in dogs will lead to better treatments for humans.

"What's been done in labs across the country is the study of spinal cord injuries in rodents, where the spinal cord is traumatized purposefully, and then treatments are given," Levine said. "But the 70 or so treatments in rodents that have shown promise, when they're taken to human clinical trials, very few have worked."

read....

http://www.theeagle.com/local/A-amp-...ranted-funding
    http://justadollarplease.org/

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member

"You kids and your cures, why back when I was injured they gave us a wheelchair and that's the way it was and we liked it!" Grumpy Old Man

.."i used to be able to goof around so much because i knew Superman had my back. now all i've got is his example -- and that's gonna have to be enough."