Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sleeping is so difficult

Sleeping is so difficult

Hello carecure, my favoriteperson was injured in January and is pretty stable and home now... His name is Jordan and he is 21 and he is a c6 quadriplegic

I am very concerned about him all the time, but his inability to sleep well
    Is my biggest concern at the moment

He sweats so much that his mom needs to change sheets everynight and it is extremely uncomfortable for him. Also his hart beats very hard and it scares me so much. I know this sounds like AD, so I try to make sure that there isn't anything triggering it, but no matter what I do he still sweats and his heart continues to thump so hard.

He takes medicine to reduce sweating but it only makes it a little better...but now bearable by any means. I just want to fix it because there are already so many obstacles to sleeping as a quadriplegic...

Thankyou

I have a waterproof mattress cover that makes me sweat. it is one of the good ones too.
    the cotton quilted mattress pads with the backing are better if you can find them. I have mine on because my kitty ruined a mattress, and though he is banned from my room, I cant take a chance due to not being able to replace a mattress again, so have it enclosed in a zippered cover which causes me to sweat a lot more than if I didnt have one on.

The sweating is a part of the injury, unfortunately. However, there are things you can do to make him more comfortable. I always encourage people to use cotton sheets versus those with synthetic fibers in them. Also, keep the covers to a minimum. Make sure that his bladder is empty (or emptying) on a routine basis. There is also medications that can be taken to decrease the sweating, but they make people feel dried out - not always a great option.

Stay away from plasctic mattress and pillow covers -

I would also experiment with different positions and see if one is better than another at preventing (or at least decreasing) this.

CKF

If the pressure stops even briefly when he is repositioned, my suspicion is that it is AD being triggered by a hard mattress. Also, what kind of urinary management is he on? Urethral catheter, Suprapubic catheter, or condom catheter? Finally, does the sweating stop when he is sitting?
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Blog Entries
    I agree that the possibility of autonomic dysreflexia should be explored. Is blood pressure elevated when this happens?
    Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    If the pressure stops even briefly when he is repositioned, my suspicion is that it is AD being triggered by a hard mattress. Also, what kind of urinary management is he on? Urethral catheter, Suprapubic catheter, or condom catheter? Finally, does the sweating stop when he is sitting?
    He complains about his matress being uncomfortable, i am not sure what exactly it is but it is a pattern of plastic bladders which he often asks to have a significant amount of air released from in order to get comfy at all. I got him a foam top for it which he says makes it more comfy but I'm concerned that it isn't good for his skin...

He started using a condom catheter at night because he also started to pee without cathing in the middle of the night... I don't know a lot about them but it is really hard to get on and looks very uncomfortable to me .___. He sweat badly before he started to use the condom catheter though...

The sweating does stop when he is sitting, except for when he is dysreflexic

Ty!

Quote Originally Posted by TomRL View Post
    I agree that the possibility of autonomic dysreflexia should be explored. Is blood pressure elevated when this happens?
    Yes, that's what bothers me the most. It seems like whenever he lays down jus heart beats very hard

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    The sweating is a part of the injury, unfortunately. However, there are things you can do to make him more comfortable. I always encourage people to use cotton sheets versus those with synthetic fibers in them. Also, keep the covers to a minimum. Make sure that his bladder is empty (or emptying) on a routine basis. There is also medications that can be taken to decrease the sweating, but they make people feel dried out - not always a great option.

Stay away from plasctic mattress and pillow covers -

I would also experiment with different positions and see if one is better than another at preventing (or at least decreasing) this.

CKF
    Thanks for the advice! Is heart thumping really hard when laying part of the injury too? His medication doesn't help too much he says... And we do make sure his bladder is empty. Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by jca View Post
    He complains about his matress being uncomfortable, i am not sure what exactly it is but it is a pattern of plastic bladders which he often asks to have a significant amount of air released from in order to get comfy at all. I got him a foam top for it which he says makes it more comfy but I'm concerned that it isn't good for his skin...

He started using a condom catheter at night because he also started to pee without cathing in the middle of the night... I don't know a lot about them but it is really hard to get on and looks very uncomfortable to me .___. He sweat badly before he started to use the condom catheter though...

The sweating does stop when he is sitting, except for when he is dysreflexic

Ty!
    Can you give more detail about these two issues?
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

I am a bit confused about the bladder management techniques you are using. What does he do during the day...condom cath or intermittent cath?
    At night, if he is wearing a condom cath, there is no way of emptying the bladder completely. The spontaneous urine does not empty the bladder completely. The only way to make sure the bladder is completely empty is to intermittent cath 4-6 times a day around the clock. Intermittent cath in the middle of the night is inconvenient, but it may be necessary to reduce pressure in the bladder which may be resulting in autonomia and sweating. Has he had a complete urinary tract work up either while in rehab or since to determine what kind of bladder management is best for him?

That said, I do remember (1982) experiencing a great deal of sweating, drenching the sheets and my pajamas during the first year following my injury (as the SCI nurse said earlier, these symptoms can get be part of the injury process). I don't think, it was ever clear what caused the problem although there was speculation by doctors, nurses, physical and occupational therapists that it might have something to do with muscle soreness and spasms brought on by those muscles that were still enervated having to adjust to working in new ways to help me balance and stay positioned in the wheelchair. I also remember that even though I was "sweating," I was always cold. NL bought some DuoFold "long john" type undershirts for me to sleep in that are made of cotton and wool knit that helped to wick the moisture away from the skin. This helped some. Maybe sleeping in some of the new technology underwear for active outdoor sports activities would help to wick away the moisture. The intense sweating did resolve itself eventually in my situation.

Hope you find some answers or some methods to help him cope. I know how uncomfortable and frustrating this can be.

All the best,
    GJ