Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help...

Are these pains serious? Like I should get them checked out and consider surgery? Or just inconvienient and I can just deal with them?
    Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

I would not sign up for surgery. It only happens when I sleep. I take ambien to help me go back to sleep in the night when I wake up to stretch, rub and move them around. Surgery would mean down time.....I can take a lot of pain to avoid down time.
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

Quote Originally Posted by offroaderswife View Post
    I would not sign up for surgery. It only happens when I sleep. I take ambien to help me go back to sleep in the night when I wake up to stretch, rub and move them around. Surgery would mean down time.....I can take a lot of pain to avoid down time.

I would not either. Just the tests for Carpal Tunnel hurt me really bad but others say it didn't bother them. I would not go through that again.

If you keep your arms straight during the night, it should help or the splints helped me.

I have a tendency to curl my arms at night and if I am stressed about something I will hug a pillow and my hands and forearms wake me up.

I feel the same way about surgery.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

The exact same thing happens to me, offroaderswife. In my case, the cause is most likely bone spurs in my neck and shoulders pressing on nerves - and it's made much worse by mattresses that are too firm and pillows that are too puffy. You might try switching pillow types and heights, if you haven't already done so. When I lie on my side, I also find it helps to support the arm that's on top with a pillow, but very loosely (not hugging the pillow) - as others have said, bending the elbows can really ratchet up the pain level.

Another thing I discovered is that a 1.5" diameter strip of memory foam just under my shoulders helps to relieve pressure on the nerves. I don't have much padding on my shoulders due to muscle atrophy, so the nerves that exit the cervical spine are right there at the surface waiting to get crushed - the pad has made an enormous difference as far as comfort is concerned. Maybe your situation is similar.

I hope you can find some relief from this, as it gets so bad sometimes that sleep becomes something to dread instead of enjoy.

With Carpel Tunnel, the Medial nerve is being pinched when it goes through the passageway on the inside of the wrist. Keeping the wrists straight helps to allow the maximum amount of space in this tunnel for the nerve and the flexor tendons which pass through it. One indication that you may have CTS is to feel along each finger. If there is numbness or tingling in the thumb and next three fingers, but not the pinkie (or at least the outside of the pinkie), then this could be CTS. The Ulner nerve goes to the pinkie, not the Medial nerve.

When I was diagnosed with CTS in my left wrist, the Dr told me to go to a drugstore and purchase a wrist brace made for this purpose. I think it ran about $25. I wore it for 4 months, day and night, and it helped. You may only need to wear them at night. In my case, I have nerve damage in my spinal cord due to a virus, so I have severe Allodynia in my left wrist and became unable to wear the brace.

If you use the braces for a couple months and it doesn't help, then I would ask your Dr about getting a nerve conduction study and EMG. An EMG is a little unpleasant, but it doesn't last very long. The most conservative treatment for CTS is the use of a brace.