Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help...

Help...

Hello Friends. I'm having pain in my arms and hands at night. It feels like they are "asleep" with sharp pains..if that makes any sense at all. It usually only happens when I'm laying down. I wake up from the tingling pain and hold them in the air to help ease whatever it is that is happening. Any ideas or suggestions? I am T-10 complete for over 17 years.
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

Where exactly is the pain in your hands? This may fit the pattern of carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS). It is common that the pain would be worse at night.

(KLD)

Carpel Tunnel does sound like a possibility. When I had similar symptoms about a decade or so ago , I wore these elastic wrist splints/protectors (that had a metal plate running up the center to shield the wrist and lower palm; I hated them but I think they helped some) for several hours a day along with really monitoring how much I used my arms/hands and making some adjustments and the symptoms went away and have not returned.
    Last edited by Patton57; 07-12-2011 at 11:50 AM.

The pain is mostly in my arms rather than hands. My hands tend to feel more "asleep" and tingly with sharp pains being in my arms and occassionally shooting down to the hands. I can't sleep on my side for very long because my arms get very uncomfortable. I've never been able to sleep on my back very much since my accident 17 years ago. Would carpel tunnel affect the arms. I always thought it was just a hand/wrist thing.
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

I get that because I tend to sleep with my arms bent at the elbow, I believe it is due to the ulnar nerve (funny bone) being pinched through my elbow.... annoying for sure, must wake up a couple times a night in order to straighten my arms for a bit.... not as annoying as sleeping with my arms straight though!
    Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

I have pain like this. my shoulder is bad, and also the elbow where the funny bone is. I have learned also that there is some sort of cyst in my cervical area at around c-5.
    maybe see about your elbows, or shoulders. mine are affected by years of crutches.

I used to do this and doctor recommended getting wrist splints to sleep in.

It fixed my problems. I have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in both. When I sleep in weird positions or I have done alot of arm/hand/wrist work...they will bother me at night.

I hope you fell better soon. This sure interupts sleep.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

I get similar pains sometimes, and it is definitely positional for me. If I change it will slowly fade away. Mine seems to be a pinched nerve in my shoulder. SO I am guessing a pinched nerve somewhere?
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

I went in for my second EMG Last month and i was told that i need to have carpal tunnel surgery and maybe surgery down the road on my ulner nerve. That surgery would be located in my right elbo.

Quote Originally Posted by offroaderswife View Post
    Hello Friends. I'm having pain in my arms and hands at night. It feels like they are "asleep" with sharp pains..if that makes any sense at all. It usually only happens when I'm laying down. I wake up from the tingling pain and hold them in the air to help ease whatever it is that is happening. Any ideas or suggestions? I am T-10 complete for over 17 years.
    My wife, an AB, had the exact same symptoms. She would get up and walk around the house a few minutes and then go back to bed. Surgery on both hands, CTS, and she's had no problems at all since.

Good luck.
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne