Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: This pain is slowly killing me....

Cass

I think you were the one who recommended the Pain Chronicles. Very good writer.

As to Kevorkian, there is no doubt his book emphasized availability for organ transplants. Not exactly what we need most, although at least he took pain seriously. I think HipCrip was involved in some of the review so she will know the real story.

Central Pain is distinct and hopefully the Institute of Medicine will come to so recognize it. The reformed Johns Hopkins was actually formed so a neurology wing could be established to deal with chronic pain after Civil War injuries. This move was done with the influence of S. Weir Mitchell, who wrote intelligently on "pain of central origin" but who has become lost to time. The disease has never been much of a mystery to doctors who took the time to really listen. Mitchell's description is as good as any today. However, who is going to believe "a pain beyond pain' as Riddoch called it. What could be worse than pain of the ordinary variety. It is like Buzz Lightyear talking of "Infinity and Beyond". About a week ago, I had a run of the lightning pains which was just incredible. Yet, I have never feared these pains, because unlike the burning dysesthesia, the lightning pains are intermittent. if you know it is going to stop, then you have something to count on. Burning dysesthesia stays the course, and as you said, it eats away at life. Dreadful thing. No doubt the average person would think the sky was falling if they had runs of the lancinating pains, but it is the nonstop pain against which one must push, always uphill.

Quote Originally Posted by dejerine View Post
    Cass

As to Kevorkian, there is no doubt his book emphasized availability for organ transplants. Not exactly what we need most, although at least he took pain seriously. I think HipCrip was involved in some of the review so she will know the real story.

Central Pain is distinct and hopefully the Institute of Medicine will come to so recognize it. The reformed Johns Hopkins was actually formed so a neurology wing could be established to deal with chronic pain after Civil War injuries. This move was done with the influence of S. Weir Mitchell, who wrote intelligently on "pain of central origin" but who has become lost to time. The disease has never been much of a mystery to doctors who took the time to really listen. Mitchell's description is as good as any today. However, who is going to believe "a pain beyond pain' as Riddoch called it. What could be worse than pain of the ordinary variety. It is like Buzz Lightyear talking of "Infinity and Beyond". About a week ago, I had a run of the lightning pains which was just incredible. Yet, I have never feared these pains, because unlike the burning dysesthesia, the lightning pains are intermittent. if you know it is going to stop, then you have something to count on. Burning dysesthesia stays the course, and as you said, it eats away at life. Dreadful thing. No doubt the average person would think the sky was falling if they had runs of the lancinating pains, but it is the nonstop pain against which one must push, always uphill.
    This burning dysesthesia (or whatever it is called) is so hard to deal with. I am not sure what is harder---dealing with and trying to manage the constant burning/cold/wet pain or fighting its tendency to let it eat away at your life and relationships. I am very thankful that my pain is not as bad as some of the others here a CC. You all are in my thoughts.
    2012 SCINetUSA Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Quote Originally Posted by cass View Post
    we have had the assisted suicide law in WA state since 2009, oregon even longer. neither really has been used much considering ab's views of how much the terminally ill are suffering (the laws only apply to them).
    The OR law has been used more than you would think, 401 people since 2008. There is quite a few hoops to jump thru before you are given any drugs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oregon_...th_Dignity_Act
    c3/c4, injured 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Saranoya View Post
    I personally know a lady who jumped under a train when she was diagnosed with Huntington's Disease. She woke up with no legs and one arm. An acquaintance of my sister, who had full-blown AIDS but eventually lived for another two years, attempted suicide by drinking a chemical unblocker. After that, he had to be fed through a tube because his esophagus and stomach were to badly damaged to work properly.

Do you really think any of that is better than responding to an assisted-suicide ad in a newspaper? Yes, the ad may have been put there by a man who believed that the voluntary self-elimination of the disabled would be in society's best interest. But it was also put there by a man who knew how to kill people gently.

The most crucial question in this context is whether or not the people Kevorkian killed chose to die. There is nothing in the link you provided to suggest that any of the people mentioned there were killed against their will.
    Precisely, the argument that this will lead to Naziesque genocide policies is ludicrous to me. Assisted suicide is a policy granting an individual the right to choose to die and be assisted by a doctor. It is not a policy granting the state to put people to death against their wills.

Quote Originally Posted by Sh1wn View Post
    The OR law has been used more than you would think, 401 people since 2008. There is quite a few hoops to jump thru before you are given any drugs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oregon_...th_Dignity_Act
    i believe you're mistaken. the act was passed in 1994. between 1994 and 2008, 401 people have used it.

i really don't take issue with this type of legislation.

as i already stated, apparently in an uncivil manner , the crux is not the principle but the implementation.

Quote Originally Posted by dejerine View Post
    Cass

yes, that was me. did you find the material in the Pain Chronicles accurate? i also gave it to my pcp and after a short chat with wise he dl'd it. haven't heard what either thought of it yet.

i'm not convinced kevorkian's main concern was pain. there are some clients he never even spoke to personally according to the accounts. in fact, i believe the first woman is a case in point.

i believe you're mistaken. the act was passed in 1994. between 1994 and 2008, 401 people have used it.

i really don't take issue with this type of legislation.

as i already stated, apparently in an uncivil manner , the crux is not the principle but the implementation.
    You got me, I should know better to trust wikipedia. I knew it was blocked for a number of years but 2008 seemed late. I wasn't trying to imply that you were for or against anything, I was just saying that it has been used more than most people think. The real number is 460 from 98-09 and 65 in 2010 for a total of 525 as of 1/7/11. That is far from hardly used to me.
    http://public.health.oregon.gov/Prov...yr13-tbl-1.pdf

Sorry to continue this derail, I really hope you can find something that works for you.
    c3/c4, injured 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Sh1wn View Post
    You got me, I should know better to trust wikipedia.
    Don't mock one of my favorite resources! The wealth of information provided by it far outweighs the errors. It's always coming up with ways to protect veracity. Example: In the wake of Sarah Palin's Paul Revere story, many of her idiots attempted to change the narrative on Wikipedia to suit her version. Being an Internet site with a log and having a verification process allowed them to catch this.

ppl do have the choice. suicide is not even illegal any more in any u.s. state, i don't believe. and pills are easy to get.
    Suicide isn't illegal in any any state, I don't believe - attempted suicide (when the suicide fails) is when the person winds up in the mental hospital.

Pills may be easy to get, but they aren't easy to take for some people.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Quote Originally Posted by swh2007 View Post
    This burning dysesthesia (or whatever it is called) is so hard to deal with. I am not sure what is harder---dealing with and trying to manage the constant burning/cold/wet pain or fighting its tendency to let it eat away at your life and relationships. I am very thankful that my pain is not as bad as some of the others here a CC. You all are in my thoughts.
    Burning, bones sticking through skin, extreme tight feeling (as stiff as concrete), and more sensations. It's eaten my life like a python eats a rat. Why does the "temperature" of the burning keep increasing.

My last (useless) pain doctor asked me how the pains compare to the worst pain I ever felt before my injury, which was when I broke my wrist in half and then the orthopedist pulled it back in place. That would be a 10. I asked him which part of me he wanted to know about. Then I told him my shoulder blades, vertebrae, and some organs were that bad, and stopped there.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.