Thread: Stem Cells Exactly Know Their Path: Mcmaster Researchers

Stem Cells Exactly Know Their Path: Mcmaster Researchers

Dr. Young, does this mean that nerves cells will know to reconnect at the right places after regeneration, or they don't say that. If they say what I think, that's great news for us, yes?

Editor's Choice
    Academic Journal
    Main Category: Stem Cell Research
    Article Date: 11 Jul 2011 - 13:00 PDT

Human stem cells have a unique characteristic of molding themselves into any cell type, but when it is comes to their final landing place they exactly know where to go. This was revealed in a paper published recently in the scientific journal Cell Stem Cell. Mick Bhatia, who serves as the director of McMaster Stem Cell and Cancer Research Institute, was the lead author of the study.

read...

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/230843.php

I am skeptical about this paper and the claim that stem cells know exactly where they are going. A better explanation is that the cells don't know where they are going or what they are doing until they get to a place and then cells in the place tell the stem cells what to do.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by manouli View Post
    Dr. Young, does this mean that nerves cells will know to reconnect at the right places after regeneration, or they don't say that. If they say what I think, that's great news for us, yes?

Editor's Choice
    Academic Journal
    Main Category: Stem Cell Research
    Article Date: 11 Jul 2011 - 13:00 PDT

Human stem cells have a unique characteristic of molding themselves into any cell type, but when it is comes to their final landing place they exactly know where to go. This was revealed in a paper published recently in the scientific journal Cell Stem Cell. Mick Bhatia, who serves as the director of McMaster Stem Cell and Cancer Research Institute, was the lead author of the study.

read...

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/230843.php

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    I am skeptical about this paper and the claim that stem cells know exactly where they are going. A better explanation is that the cells don't know where they are going or what they are doing until they get to a place and then cells in the place tell the stem cells what to do.

Wise.
    - Sounds more plausible, but one way or the other, this is one problem less to worry about, in the 'fixing SCI' scheme of things, right?
    "It's not the despair, I can handle the despair! It's the hope!" - John Cleese

Don't ask what clinical trials can do for you, ask what you can do for clinical trials. (Ox)
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.