Thread: SSI after working for 1.5 years

SSI after working for 1.5 years

I'm curious if it's possible to go back to collecting SSI after I've been working for the past year and a half.

When I started working, SSI gave me a "9 month work trial" and at that point I was supposed to decide if I can do it or not.

Would I need a new "qualifying event" to take place? Since I think from SS's perspective, after working for 9 months, I'm not disabled to them anymore.

Any insight would be appreciated...

Extended period of eligibility—After your trial work period, you have 36 months during which you can work and still receive benefits for any month your earnings are not “substantial.” In 2011, earnings over $1,000 ($1,640 if you are blind) are considered substantial. No new application or disability decision is needed for you to receive a Social Security disability benefit during this period.
    http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10095.html#part3

Yes you can and no you don't need another qualifying event. All you have to do is call them and report that you are no longer working and your benefits will start up again. You will have to take in your last pay stub.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

You may now qualify for SSDI based on your earnings, or a combination of SSI and SSDI.

great! thanks for the responses. this is exactly what i needed to hear...

cheers!

Know this that until or unless things change, if you would have to stop working it will most likely take 90 days before your check would start back. When it does, it will go back and pick up the 90 day period that you will most likely have to wait. They are just that far behind on the federal level. Even though my local office did everything in a timely matter I was told that where they sent the paperwork into was 90 days behind and that is how long it took. So I had to sell everything I had and rent a room from my mom and dad because I had no money saved up to pay all my bills while I waited 90 days for the paper work to get processed.