Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask a PT

zevobru - sounds like your son has potential! Congrats on being so supportive and motivating
    Being able to move while laying down is VERY different than standing - gravity is a lot heavier than we realize when we're strong. Also, holding up body weight is quite challenging. I would suggest strengthening the muscle groups laying down and sitting up, and build up to walking more and more.
    If the baclofen was reduced, are his spasms much better? A pump is generally used for significant spasticity...
    Pushing to walk won't do damage, but build up so it's successful.

For everyone ready, I run an online service that can develop custom exercise programs for anyone who is interested, feel free to visit my website or email me.

Dear Scitotalfitness,
    I have a quick question for you: I have a tens unit and was instructed that I could use it every 4-6 hours for 20 minutes. Do you know why you can only use it for 20 minutes??

Thank you!

Hi,
    My ankles/feet are rolling out. I'm 18 years post injury and would like to reverse the rolling and prevent it from happening more. Is there a brace or process that I can begin to correct this. My feet no longer sit flat on my foot plate and my legs do not stay together as much as I would like them to while sitting in my chair.
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

Thanks a lot stf. No, no problems with blood clots or circulation. BP is 120/72. I have a baclofen pump for severe spasticity.

Appreciate your help!
    Quote Originally Posted by scitotalfitness View Post
    Bobby - I have put people on standing frames after years of injury without issue, the majority of fractures I've heard about involved impact. But I think there are some things to consider:
    First, do you have an IVC filter? Have you ever had a problem with clots? It's worth checking out if you have any possibility of having a DVT. If you have a lot of spasms, that likely helps your circulation, but you can never be too careful.
    Second, the way the standing frame lifts you should be safe even for weak bones because there isn't any impact, and the force goes straight up the long bones. You could raise slowly so you aren't overloading the system if it makes you feel more comfortable.
    Hope that helps!
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

rdf - sounds like you'll do well. Your spasms help your bones, so people who don't have spasms would have to be more concerned. Enjoy standing! It has so many benefits

faceplant - I have no idea why the 20 minute limit was put on your TENS... do you use the unit for pain? If it is for pain, you can use it for hours. TENS can also be used for wound healing, and that benefit is 30-60min on, then 2 hours off.
    However, if you are using an estim unit to assist with strengthening, so you are working with the contractions (NMES, not TENS) then you need to fatigue the muscle then let the muscle rest. This could be done in less than 20 minutes.

offroaderswife - rolling out... hmm. So your feet are sitting more on the outsides, which is causing your knees to bow, correct? I am guessing your ankles are getting tight??
    Can you get your ankles into the neutral position where they should sit? Depending on how tight your ankles are, you can stretch them with a strap or sheet daily. Do you stand at all? Standing gives a fantastic stretch, however, if your ankles are super tight, be sure to support your feet so the stretch isn't too drastic. And you could decrease the support as you stretch more.
    Do you have spasms?
    There are splints and orthotics that could be used for positioning, but that would have to be assessed by a professional. They may not be beneficial, and could cause skin problems.

nurse--

for now i can see a very small flicker in my ankle, moving up and down, however, not even up to flat foot. when the nerve regenerates more, will i be able to move the ankle up more?? will i be able to move my toes once that nerve regenerates??
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. -- John Lennon

LIP26 - I'm guessing this one is for me. If you have a flicker, you should be able to see some additional movement in time. You can practice while laying on your side, which takes away the challenge of gravity. The toes are part of a different nerve track, so unfortunately the ankle movement isn't necessary a guarantee that your toes will come back. The ankle is from L4 and the toes are L5. But keep working and time will tell!

Hey there scitotalfitness...

I have a complete C5 injury, 18 years post. I'm in a relatively good condition but I feel like I need to get a lot of strength back. I do range of motion exercises every morning and so I have no problems in contraction or anything like that. My shoulders are okay but they are in constant pain, especially shoulder blades and above. My biceps are also okay, triceps are there buy very weak.

I was wondering what kind of exercised do you recommend for a person in my condition? I want to strengthen my shoulders, biceps and triceps. I also want to work on my abdomen.
    Is there anything in specific that I should do?

Thanks so much

Scitotalfitness, first of all, thanks so much for your contributions to this thread. I see a lot of helpful answers here.

I have an L1 and L5 injury and operate at the L5 level. In a year-and-a-half, I've recovered pretty well and can walk with hiking poles and do lots of exercises.

The insides of my legs are stronger than the outsides and this causes my feet to make a weird half-circle inward motion each time I take a step. I started out with AFOs on both legs because of drop foot but I can pull my feet up fine now and haven't used the AFO's in 10 months and walk fine without tripping myself.

Is there anything I can do to encourage my feet to stop swooping inwards? It really is quite annoying even though it's not causing me any problems with mobility.