Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask a PT

I've been using an AFO provided to me by my PT since the middle of September, and on Dec 6 go to get the one I got casted for just a week ago. My PT recommended semi-rigid...I have very little lift in my right ankle, actually no lift above flat foot.

I hope that works for you! And fingers crossed you'll see more and more gains.

I have a quick question. About how long does it take to recover from a ACDF surgery at C5/6 C6/7 level? I had surgery in september and recovery is going very slow, but I have noticed a little more range of motion in my neck since I first had the surgery...it's slight but some progress.

thanks for the information.

Faceplant - what do you mean by "recovery?"
    The surgery you had was on the bones in your neck. Bones take 3 months to fully heal. However, this is completely unrelated to any damage to your spinal cord - that is part of the nervous system, and "recovery" can vary greatly.
    Now if you're talking about getting your range and strength back in your neck, then that should progress pretty quickly once you're out of the collar. You will have to work on these things; make sure you're turning your chin side to side. Hold it for a count of 10. Tilt your ear toward your shoulder, count to 10 on both sides. Look up and look down. You'll feel a bit of a stretch, but that's okay. Don't push into pain. You should get almost full range back in time.
    Let me know if that answers your question.

Great stuff!
    Here's my question...I've had CTS surgery on both hands, 48 yo, 25+ yrs ~T12 para and 16+ years doing keyboard '925', and lots of sports, bball, tennis, sled hockey, sailing, skiing, hand cycling and wheelchair softball, not all at once and definately slooowing down . I haven't been religious about exercise, especially lately and recently having sharp pain in my wrists, primarily right wrist, thinking its tendonitis also weakness in thumb (abduction? weak pinch and hurts more when braking wc etc but also pain doing a push up in the chair, tough to pull up the pants and sox!). I've been wrapping it, icing it and taking Alieve and taping it when I play sled hockey...its not helping alot but I can't let down the team! I've seen a PT and she gave me some hot-n-cold therapy to do and some thumb strengthening Rx. I don't really want to continue the anti inflammatories and definately don't want the 'shot!'.

any suggestions on healing? (I know I need to rest but can't stop yet!) this has been bothering me since October.

PS I'd like a total fitness program ie P90X for SCI!!!

Tim... carpal tunnel stuff is hard, I'll be honest. What did they do when they did the surgery?
    So the injury comes from the nerves and tendons running through the small tunnel and the friction causes inflammation and injury. Ice is good to decrease inflammation.
    Some basic stuff I would recommend:
    - using wrist braces to minimize how much extension you're doing. I know these suck... You may want to sleep in them to stabilize your wrists then, and then see if you can handle them at all during the day.
    - modify your work station and keyboard to minimize wrist extension (this should actually be a service your employer is required to provide if you request it)
    - when you transfer, try to use fists with straight wrists rather than flat hands. Yes, it's harder, but it is much better for the carpal tunnel.

I actually think I would hold off on the thumb strengthening until the injury is a little better; I wouldn't risk aggravating the problem. Hopefully those suggestions give you a place to start. Good luck!

As for P90X - those are the workouts I lead in my gym!! My online videos are tough, but less hardcore because in person, I use equipment people don't have at home. My business could always give you workouts to complete on your own at a gym. If you're ever in California, you'll have to come in! I'm actually from NJ, so if I plan to be in the area I'll let you know

Smile

where in Cali? I might be in SD next summer...but I'd like a good routine before then and while I'm still motivated! I need to get in shape for skiing, a shape other than round

I'm in Long Beach - about 2 hours north of SD. But I'm always available online you can email me.

Yay for ski season!!

Pain, Spasm and exercise

I am blessed to have as a patient the most amazing young man who is about C-5 SCI for less than a year. He can feel touch to the elbow, nipple line. For a long while, he stopped exercising because he was afraid the intense, sometimes, whole body spasms, would cause more injury to his spine. He is starting over with some basic PT again, but I am wanting to encourage him to gain strength in his neck, back and shoulders. How can I help him with the pain and spasms? Will the spasms decrease in time? Thanks- Doe, FNP

Is he taking any meds for spasms? You might look into a Medtronic's baclofen pump. Many have one, and it's great for spasms/spasticity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doe Gasque View Post
    I am blessed to have as a patient the most amazing young man who is about C-5 SCI for less than a year. He can feel touch to the elbow, nipple line. For a long while, he stopped exercising because he was afraid the intense, sometimes, whole body spasms, would cause more injury to his spine. He is starting over with some basic PT again, but I am wanting to encourage him to gain strength in his neck, back and shoulders. How can I help him with the pain and spasms? Will the spasms decrease in time? Thanks- Doe, FNP
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!