Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask a PT

Quote Originally Posted by scitotalfitness View Post
    Emi2 - did you ever learn how to do range with a strap? We gave instruction and handouts to our patients in the hospital, but I will look for - or make a video for you.
    I kinda remember being taught, but can't remember all the ways.
    Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

SciTotalFitness ... am grateful for your participation and encouragement.

I'm 15 years post inc quad, and my progress continues! Often times what de-motivates me is preparing to go to the gym. I've discovered a children's playground nearby and WOW its so wonderful to just let my imagination play with whatever is available to grab and hold on to, transfers on the bench, and park my chair behind me (for support), hold on to the chains of the swings, work on stabilizing my balance as I square my legs underneath me.

Its meditative to be by myself on many occasion, yet every once in a while little troopers are not at all shy in joining in and soon enough am leading a "tot-size" funsizing routines. All the while their mommy's or daddy's watch in awe! This is a vision rarely experienced while pushing and pulling at any gym I've been at.

Great vitamin D intake, and fresh air exercising my lungs!

Emi2 - I made a video for you and put it on my YouTube channel. Let me know if it helps and any questions you have.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOdoBiTXRLs

How many calories are burned wheeling briskly as a female paraplegic?

How many calories doing push-ups as a female paraplegic?

Don't ask my weight or I will hate you!

Thanks.
    Make America Sane Again. lol

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by scitotalfitness View Post
    Emi2 - I made a video for you and put it on my YouTube channel. Let me know if it helps and any questions you have.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOdoBiTXRLs
    Exactly what I needed! Thank you!
    Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

Here is a breakdown of some activities I posted before. wc=wheelchair.

Estimated calories burned by a 160 lb. male engaging in activities for 1 hour. Lighter people burn slightly less and heavier people burn more. Also, on average, females burn calories at a rate of about 15 percent less than males. However, that percentage varies considerably with the muscle/fat ratio. Women athletes burn calories at a rate higher than "average" women.

There are about 3500 calories in a pound of fat, so one has to burn that many to lose a pound. If you are burning 100 calories more a day than you are taking in, it will take 35 days to lose a pound.

sitting and talking on /phone 115
    reading while sitting 90
    sleeping 70
    wc basketball 470
    casual wheeling 230
    wc light housework 270
    wc racing 690
    fishing while sitting 180
    pushups - vigorous 575
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

My son is a C 3-4 incomplete Quad. Injured July 1990. When he was discharged, his Dr. told us to take him home & take care of him. We had a crash cource on doing that, which wasn't much help. His first nurse was from World War II. She told us we could make a difference & got us going in the right direction. By the time he came home he had lost 50 pounds of pure muscle. She said, we don't know what he has until we get some of his muscles back. We started with wrist weights & then we started thinking of different things to do. Today he rides an Ergys 2 Bike. Uses an upper body cycle, a Ric a shaw & an uppertone. He pushes a manuel chair 4 to 5 hrs a day, with the help of 2" quad pegs. We use elec stem on his arms, wrists, his calfs which also stretches his ankles. I look back through all these years & I'm so thankful that he had her for a number of years. She gave him up only because of health reasons, she was close to 80 by then. What a special lady she was.

I'm still open to answering any PT related questions, or if you have an idea of some short videos you'd like to see.

I made a short video about the shoulder exercises/stretches I wrote about is my first post. Check it out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfnO5AdJv1A

Thanks for the video scitotalfitness. Great advice. I also loved the F.A.S.T. class videos. Opens up some new horizons.
    T4 complete, 150 ft fall, 1966. Completely fused hips, partially fused knees and spine, heterotopic ossification. Unsuccessful DREZ surgery about 1990. Successful bladder augmentation using small intestine about 1992. Normal SCI IC UTI problems culminating in a hospital stay in 2001. No antibiotics or doctor visits for UTI since 2001: d-mannose. Your mileage may vary.

scitotalfitness what are some good settings when using a electric muscle stimulator.