Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Ask a PT

scitotalfitness: I have been looking and looking for a decent estim unit to buy for home use on my husband's off days. He is a C5/C6 Incomplete and gaining better muscle movement by the day, especially in his legs. We asked his PT if she could recommend an estim unit and she said as long as it offers "triphase" -- I am having a hell of time finding one that we can buy online (without prescription) that have triphase. I'm only seeing biphase....can you please help? :-)

Hmm.. what is the purpose of the triphasic estim? I've used biphasic waveforms for strengthening. Is there a goal that the PT is aiming for that cannot be achieved with biphasic stim?
    Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by scitotalfitness View Post
    Hmm.. what is the purpose of the triphasic estim? I've used biphasic waveforms for strengthening. Is there a goal that the PT is aiming for that cannot be achieved with biphasic stim?
    I guess I'm not really sure what the purpose for the triphasic estim is, and maybe I should have him ask.. I know they are really working his leg muscles hard, and just recently had him in the ZeroG for some walking training. My husband is a C5/C6 Asia C (although i think he may be an Asia D now...he hasn't had an Asia exam since he was discharged from inpatient a month ago) He has quite a bit of leg movement, even against gravity, its just not quite functional yet. To try and extend our benefits we have him going to therapy 3 days a week. I'm 7 months pregnant so right now I'm limited to what I can do with him at home, which is why I'd like to get an e-stim machine. I like to get him on the floor and do some stretching and basic exercises and I feel like maybe I should add e-stim to it as well and I want to make sure I get something beneficial

I bought the cheapest E-stim I could find, about 100 dollars. First I went to my PT to figure out what was what. They used one that had everything on it, but said what you need to strengthen muscles is called Russian E-stim. The Russian part just referees to a higher frequency. Unfortunately last time I used it, it really set of my neuro pain. Good luck.
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

The home units are relatively inexpensive (about $100 is right on flying), and I would just look for an NMES machine (neuromuscular electrical stimulation) Clearly, these inexpensive, hand-held, battery operated units are not very powerful. But I have usually gotten the results I was looking for. I think estim is a great modality to supplement exercises and stretching.
    Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

I have a question - okay , more like a few I heard someone say on the forum that their PT told them that as long as they could get the hip flexors and abductors working, they could get someone upright (and maybe walking , I can't remember). Would you agree with this?

My husband has a newfound "something " happening in what I THINK is his hips. If he sits on the floor and pulls his legs up to a bent position, he can move each leg from the floor to upright . It is a huge struggle to do this and not exactly like he can just move them whenever he wants. But, theres definitely something there. Is this Hips?

He is a C6/7 incomplete with little motor function below chest . His core is getting a little stronger, we have the new "hip" thing happening, he moves his right foot a little, etc. I don't want to miss out on any opportunities when he could be upright in braces or something. When do braces come into play- as in , how would you know if you were ready for something like that?

Thanks so much !!

It's hard to make a blanket statement as to what you need to get upright... To walk in KAFOs, you would need good arms and core. Hip flexors and abductors are great but not required. Walking with braces is very difficult - I'm sure many people could attest to that. At Rancho, we had a series of tests to get people up including dips, an arm bike endurance test, and a range of motion recommendation. I would not be able to comment on anyone's potential without seeing them. All he can do is keep working everything he has. Standing frames are great, functional estim is great, swimming is great. Keep up the hard work!

Hello, I am new to this site and have a question regarding standing frames? I am a T12-
    L1 incomplete , 19 years post injury...Early in my recovery I used to use leg braces and a walker and use these everyday...after I had my 3 children I was told not to use then anymore...My children are now older and I have noticed my hip flexors and knees are fairly tight...I no longer have my leg braces...but I do see the standing frames quite a bit now being used...How would I go about getting evaluated to see if I can use one of these? I am new to the NJ area and would like to again use leg braces (new ones, as I threw out the old ones) at some point...to hope I can prevent any further loss of bone density , and help circulation etc...can anyone help me out here? I dont really have a spinal cord Dr. here and don't just want to buy the standing frame and hurt myself...Thank you ahead of time and I think this is a fantastic place to share for everyone new and old injuried. Suzi

Quote Originally Posted by suziQ View Post
    Hello, I am new to this site and have a question regarding standing frames? I am a T12-
    L1 incomplete , 19 years post injury...Early in my recovery I used to use leg braces and a walker and use these everyday...after I had my 3 children I was told not to use then anymore...My children are now older and I have noticed my hip flexors and knees are fairly tight...I no longer have my leg braces...but I do see the standing frames quite a bit now being used...How would I go about getting evaluated to see if I can use one of these? I am new to the NJ area and would like to again use leg braces (new ones, as I threw out the old ones) at some point...to hope I can prevent any further loss of bone density , and help circulation etc...can anyone help me out here? I dont really have a spinal cord Dr. here and don't just want to buy the standing frame and hurt myself...Thank you ahead of time and I think this is a fantastic place to share for everyone new and old injuried. Suzi
    Maybe some from the NJ area (Jim?) can suggest an SCI doc at Kessler that you can evaluate you. Chances are you will have to have x-rays of your legs to rule-out the presence of any existing fractures (unlikely as that may be) and also, perhaps, a DEXA scan to measure the extent of osteopenia/osteoporosis that is present. From all that's been discussed on CC passive standing/weight-bearing, including brace walking, is not going to increase bone density. Muscular stresses on the bone in addition to weight bearing, and possibly medication, in combination are required. And even then . . . ?

I'm a T4 complete and only started standing this fall using an EasyStand Evolv frame and I'm 29 years post injury. I don't have any expectation that it's going to improve my bone density, though my SCI doc thinks this modality works (he's mistaken and I got the stander independent of any counsel from him). Standing is good for stretching the hip flexors and I wanted my 14 year old son to see me vertical. I like looking down on him

Stephen, Thank you for the response....Yes, Jim did help me out quite a bit this afternoon. He was a wealth of information and I am thankful for that.. You are much braver than me, buying the frame on your own without Dr. approval...I would but I am afraid I would damage my legs more, as I did break my leg almost 2 years ago from a fall...so Im not quite as brave as you.....But yes, I understand about looking down on your kids...I can't wait to do that.. ha ha...they all think they are so tough looking down at me...and I am 5'9"....Little do they know..paybacks are coming...I HOPE!!!! ) Thank you for the response..