Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Ask a PT

I have been very blessed with therapy. Right now i am getting on a Lokomat 5 times a week. Sometimes i can bring my braces in and we do brace training

this video is me in therapy last week in Kafo's and walker
    http://youtu.be/TxajsyK4Fzw

i am estiming my quads i just got a EMPI estim 2 weeks ago. and estim my glutes and qauds while standing in Pbars in Kafo's. wishing these knees would lock! thanks for the tips!! i need all the help i can get!

I would like some ideas for a cardio workout for my son. He was injured in a hockey game on 12/6/11. Fractured T5 & T6. He does do weight training however looking for a cardio workout too. Thanks

I'm sorry about your son's injury, but it's great that he's working out. He obviously still as the athlete mentality You are definitely correct that he needs cardio - it keeps the heart healthy, the circulation going, and burns calories. Weight training is good for strength and lean mass. Both are very important for any walking he plans to do.

So where to find cardio - obviously I have to give my online exercise class as one choice I put up a new class every Wednesday and Saturday, so there are 8 workouts a month. Each is 45-55min long. You can check it out on my website.
    Arm cycling is a great exercise. In California we have a few organizations that allow you to try it before you commit to buying your own cycle. There are also stationary ones in local gyms.
    Wheelchair sports are great - and again finding local organizations to try various ones is a good start so he can ease into it, see what he likes, and limit the hard hits for now.
    Swimming is also good at getting the heart rate up.

Anyone else have some suggestions that I'm missing?

Hi SCI....how much cardio does an FES bike give?

SCI, what general exercises would you recommend for maintaining leg muscle tone. Perhaps some type of exercises using those elastic bands? Any guidance would be great. Thanks!
    Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by Mom15 View Post
    I would like some ideas for a cardio workout for my son. He was injured in a hockey game on 12/6/11. Fractured T5 & T6. He does do weight training however looking for a cardio workout too. Thanks
    i do P90X the KenpoX part. anything that has kicks, i just repeat the punches. it's a great workout!

i also do his weight training. a bit tedious to find the set up that works for me, but he shows seated versions of his exercises so i didn't really have to change that. also, they are lumped into groups like shoulders/arms, chest/ back so you can select the upper body ones to do.
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

The FES bike is great, but the amount of cardio depends on how much you're working. It is great for muscle bulk and circulation, but if you are letting it do the work for you, your heart rate isn't getting up enough for exercise. If you have some active movement and are working, you would get more exercise.

Elastic bands are good for resistance training for all muscle groups. Just set it up in a way that works you out. For legs, putting it around your ankles for resisted abduction is good, as well as kicking to strengthen quads. Bands have a wide range of resistance, and exercises. So their versatility is good, but sticking with a routine is sometimes difficult.

PS - RussianRob, I'm stealing your disclaimer! It's a good one

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

SCI. I am new on here but have been reading your posts for a little while now. It is very cool of you to share your knowledge with us. I would like your opinion if you don't mind. I have a dilemma about whether I should walk with my walker more or concentrate on using my energy to strength train. I hope that I will be able to walk unassisted one day and wonder if you shuffling around with the walker is the best use of my energy to continue my progress. If I wourk out too hard walking is harder to do and if I walk too much working out is tough.
    I am a T-12 incomplete 6 months into my recovery. I train 2 hours everyday and do therapy twice a week at a standard rehab place. They have an FES and we used that for 30 sessions. I suggested we start with weight supported treadmill walking so that I can try to learn how to walk without the use of my arms.
    My work out includes therabands, my bodyworks 5000, daily trike rides. I am up to 4 miles a day, and balance exercises that I do on my knees. Any suggestions would be great.

I don't think there is a right answer to this question... You are early in your recovery, and it sounds like you are putting worth the necessary hard work. I do think that strengthening will lead to better walking, but you definitely need to give your muscles recovery time in order to heal and grow in order to lead to that better walking. So training 2 hours every day may not be allowing your body enough recovery... I would actually suggest 2-3 days a week of rest.
    When you aren't at therapy or training, are you using a wheelchair?
    I do think you want a combination of gait training and strengthening, which is sounds like you are getting. I would not give up one for the other. I think it's great you are also incorporating balance exercises. But again, if you don't allow for recovery, your muscles will be overly fatigued. Hope that helps!

Thank you for your reply. I know that I need to rest more and will try. My work out is mental therapy as well so that may be hard.
    I use my walker almost exclusively at home and occasionally at work. But I use the wheelchair for most things because it is much easier. My fear is that my body will learn to walk with the walker and that may hinder my progression away from it.
    There is so much I could discuss with you. I am absolutely fascinated with this whole situation. I could probably talk to you for hours. I was into fitness prior to my injury and this process has opened my eyes to the wonder that our body really is. It seems everyday I find a new muscle that is weak and have to figure out how to strengthen it.
    My therapist is a nice guy but he really doesn't have much of a plan and I do research and suggest exercises and such. I am at a regular rehab place and they have so many other patients with all kinds of other problems, they don't have the time to dedicate to one guy. I basically just use their equipment. First the FES bike and now the treadmill and harness.
    If I was in Texas you would have a new client. Thank you so much for your help and concern for us.