Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: questions about TiLite wheelchair from quad..

questions about TiLite wheelchair from quad..

I have used a TiLite TRC manual wheelchair since 2002 and am interested in ordering a new TiLite (still undecided about the type). Actually, I have a new Quickie wheelchair that I am at wit's end with...It was only after a year's worth of repairs that it even became functional (it literally toppled forward when I leaned forward only to later turn tippy backwards) before I had to deal with a footrest that kept dropping to the ground. So, I need to take matters into my own hands and find the right measurements for a new wheelchair. I have a few questions:

1) While I want another TRC, they have been discontinued. If I want my wheelchair to be nearly identical in measurement to my old chair, can I just apply my old measurements to a different type of chair? Or, do measurements vary by wheelchair type?

2) What is the ideal back rest angle for quadriplegics at the c/6-c/7 level? If you are a quad, what angle are you the most comfortable with?

3) When deciding the height of the footrest, what should you consider? I have the problem of my foot continually falling off my footrest, especially when I go over bumps. The bad range of motion in one ankle is a factor but I have been in chairs where my feet stay in place. Without shoes, my ankle is about 2 inches above the footrest. In my other new chair, my foot tends to do the exact opposite and falls behind the footrest. So, I want to avoid both cases.

Thank you in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by underthesun View Post
    1) While I want another TRC, they have been discontinued.
    I believe from reading (others please correct me if I'm wrong) the TRC has been discontinued in name only: the current TR can be ordered in a configuration identical to the 'old' TRC:

Attachment 41083
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

A quick google search shows the TRc is a "custom" version of the TR but should be identical for the most part. Here's what I found:

"The TiLite™ TRC is a custom version of the TiLite™ TR, with additional frame modifications and accessories, including the choice of a tapered seat straight or v-style front end, and fixed in place center of gravity....."

I don't know if there's an ideal back angle other than one that keeps your back as vertical/straight as possible but won't put you on the ground. I don't recall what mine is, but I know that it took me a week or so to get use to it.

I assume you tried to keep your feet in place with leg straps?

Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    I believe from reading (others please correct me if I'm wrong) the TRC has been discontinued in name only: the current TR can be ordered in a configuration identical to the 'old' TRC:

Attachment 41083
    Thanks chasmengr!

I had no idea TRs and TRCs were the same.

Quote Originally Posted by lazierdog View Post
    A quick google search shows the TRc is a "custom" version of the TR but should be identical for the most part. Here's what I found:

"The TiLite™ TRC is a custom version of the TiLite™ TR, with additional frame modifications and accessories, including the choice of a tapered seat straight or v-style front end, and fixed in place center of gravity....."

I don't know if there's an ideal back angle other than one that keeps your back as vertical/straight as possible but won't put you on the ground. I don't recall what mine is, but I know that it took me a week or so to get use to it.

I assume you tried to keep your feet in place with leg straps?
    Thanks lazierdog!

What is meant by "fixed in" center of gravity? Does it mean cog is non-adjustable?

I use both leg straps and a footstrap but somehow, my foot falls out when I go over bumps (even small ones).

I see many wheelchair users with their feet tucked in very nicely even without straps and was wondering what measurements they considered to have good foot positioning.

Thanks lazierdog!

What is meant by "fixed in" center of gravity? Does it mean cog is non-adjustable?

I use both leg straps and a footstrap but somehow, my foot falls out when I go over bumps (even small ones).

I see many wheelchair users with their feet tucked in very nicely even without straps and was wondering what measurements they considered to have good foot positioning.
    The COG on the TR is adjustable. The camber clamps are adjustable along the lower rail of the frame.

My ZR1 came with the standard 6" deep footplate and my feet would sometimes slide rearward off the plate. I ordered a replacement 7" deep footplate and that extra inch of depth made the difference for me in keeping my feet in place. I also request that my footplates be welded parallel to the ground as opposed to angled down slightly, which is standard.

While there are pluses and minuses to just about everything, I find that having my legs tucked under the frame keeps my heel cords stretched -- without effort.

Yes, the TR COG is adjustable, but I'm assuming your TRc isn't, correct? If so, that means it is fixed as you suggested.

How loose are your feet when in the chair? In other words, when seated, can you easily slide your feet out without having to lift your legs up? If so, raise your footrest up so your feet are supporting the weight of your legs (not all of it though) and not the back of your thighs. A picture might help us help you, or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    The COG on the TR is adjustable. The camber clamps are adjustable along the lower rail of the frame.

My ZR1 came with the standard 6" deep footplate and my feet would sometimes slide rearward off the plate. I ordered a replacement 7" deep footplate and that extra inch of depth made the difference for me in keeping my feet in place. I also request that my footplates be welded parallel to the ground as opposed to angled down slightly, which is standard.

While there are pluses and minuses to just about everything, I find that having my legs tucked under the frame keeps my heel cords stretched -- without effort.
    Thanks for sharing your info, stephen 212! I never considered changing the depth of the footplate.

I really need to put some thought unto what's a priority.

Quote Originally Posted by lazierdog View Post
    Yes, the TR COG is adjustable, but I'm assuming your TRc isn't, correct? If so, that means it is fixed as you suggested.

How loose are your feet when in the chair? In other words, when seated, can you easily slide your feet out without having to lift your legs up? If so, raise your footrest up so your feet are supporting the weight of your legs (not all of it though) and not the back of your thighs. A picture might help us help you, or something like that.
    I'm pretty sure the cog on my trc is adjustable.

I can slide my feet out very easily with little to no lifting. So, the problem is that the footrest isn't high enough? It's adjusted to its highest point on my current chair so this is really important measurement for my next chair. I will post up photos shortly just for reference.

I put an additional ABS plastic plate on my foot rest to make it 12 inches deep. Wide velcro holds it in place. Generally extreme tension on the clamps keeps the effects of torque nullified.