Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: If the 'Cure' was like the Doomsday Clock, how close to midnight are we?

Quote Originally Posted by Isildur View Post
    Look again at the list and tell me how can we change those things. Have you a bunch of young researches under your bed ready to become the next Dr.Wise Young? Are you the director of a important research center/hospital? Are you the boss of a TV channel? Have you the power to change all the little minds that attack some of the research with ethic/religion issues? Are you friend of rich people who can spend millions in the field? Are you in a government and have access to funds? Because im not, and the vast mayority of us are doing enough surviving everyday with poor resources.

Sorry, but is very easy to come here and say that delay is mainly our fault, but i don´t see any real reason that support that. So stop attacking the wrong side.
    There are many ways to make things happen.

To catch a rabbit you don't need to run faster than him
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

Quote Originally Posted by rjg View Post
    1. Why start a public thread if you're only interested in the opinions of six people?
    2. Do you know anything about the doomsday clock? It's never been set below 11:52. It's not a literal clock, you see. 11:00 would have been a few hundred years ago. 11:58 doesn't mean the cure's two minutes, or even two years, away.
    3. That's an ample rack for a fellow. You must've missed the "stay in shape for the cure" advice.

Are you having a bad day?

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    I would say number one is the catholic church. Its one of the worlds largest religions and here is the crap they spew: http://www.americancatholic.org/news/stemcell/
    Yep, religion it's a big problem and most of the times you have just to find a way to go around them as a face to face rational discussion does not work as religion is not rational. Common sense is not common at all in religious people..

Quote Originally Posted by paolocipolla View Post
    Yep, religion it's a big problem and most of the times you have just to find a way to go around them as a face to face rational discussion does not work as religion is not rational. Common sense is not common at all in religious people..
    You are in Italy, can't you drive down to the Vatican and talk some sense into the lead guy down there? He is the german with a pointy hat.

Quote Originally Posted by DougB View Post
    0xSquidy.....I totally understand how you feel, but you are wrong about me. I am totally involved in Rick Hansen 'Wheels in Motion' in Canada every year and have been the top fundraiser in Winnipeg for this event (which is the largest SCI Fundraiser in Canada) for 7 years running. And, I might add, I raise my money and awareness by going door to door. Trust me, I want out of this %#@&en chair. I'd like to get on here more, but I'm always busy working for ALL of us to advance the 'Clock'. But I do totally get you.
    Grat attitude and great effort!

...but can you ask Rick Hansen and his people to show you how they are spending money to get us out of w/c?

As I know, unfortunatly, RHF is spending money to keep people in w/c.. just a bit more confortable but still in w/c... a lot of millions per year and a lot of money raised with the great effort of great people living with SCI

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    You are in Italy, can't you drive down to the Vatican and talk some sense into the lead guy down there? He is the german with a pointy hat.
    Well I have a kind of plan.. that I call "plan Z", but I hope to get out of w/c sonner than plan Z

What is happening here is that the vatican is supporting adult stem cell research, in particular a guy who works also on SCI.

At the moment that is the best thing we can hope for in my opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by Isildur View Post
    Look again at the list and tell me how can we change those things.
    Have you a bunch of young researches under your bed ready to become the next Dr.Wise Young?
    Not under my bed....well not in one piece anyway. Seriously though, there are many young researchers in the field of neuroscience - many working on fields that do span into Spinal Cord Injury. They deserve support also. The reason you cannot see them is that they are yet to build a reputation in the field. But that doesnt mean they dont exist.

Are you the director of a important research center/hospital?
    No I am neither one of these. But I do regularly speak with clinicians and research directors. Believe it or not, they are not some kind of elite squad. They need help. They rely on the SCI'd to engage them, motivate them, support them and sometimes even advise them. The clinical director at my spinal unit often tells me that changes in the spinal unit are usually driven by the patients asking and even demanding the changes! Go figure.

Are you the boss of a TV channel?
    No, but if you have a good story to tell, it is not hard to reach out to one. Ask Ox.

Have you the power to change all the little minds that attack some of the research with ethic/religion issues?
    You can try to change 'little minds' if you feel like a challenge - but it would make more sense to not waste any time on them and manouvre around them. It's up to you if you want to get bogged down rationalising with the irrational.

Are you friend of rich people who can spend millions in the field?
    Yes, I know rich people. I even know an SCI who is worth close to $1billion. How much of that do you think he spends on SCI Research? Probably not much at all. Wealthy people will only spend money on what they want to spend it on. There is no use appealing to rich people unless they see return on their investment. They are rich for a reason after all

Are you in a government and have access to funds?
    No, Im not. But that doesnt stop me talking, meeting or writing to my local politician.

Sorry, but is very easy to come here and say that delay is mainly our fault, but i don´t see any real reason that support that. So stop attacking the wrong side.
    Im not attacking anyone. It's actually easier to moan about the issues that to try and resolve them because moaning is easy.

I dont expect every SCI to get involved as I understand that there are different shades of shit for us. But let's not patronise those that ARE making a difference everyday. And believe me, there are many SCIs that are working their butts off to help. Without them, the work in the field to date would not be where it is now - even if it is not where we would like it to be.

In summary, to quote Horner (I think it was him) from the last W2W - "The squeaky wheel gets the grease"

Quote Originally Posted by Fly_Pelican_Fly View Post
    It's actually easier to moan about the issues that to try and resolve them because moaning is easy.

In summary, to quote Horner (I think it was him) from the last W2W - "The squeaky wheel gets the grease"
    So we should moan louder???

Quote Originally Posted by Fly_Pelican_Fly View Post
    ...............[/B][/I]"
    I don´t see yet the reasons to call it our fault.
    And moan? Really?
    -Ramps in buildings are necessary, but it would be usefull to have another ones for people (mind/heart).....

-Hoc non pereo habebo fortior me

I have removed certain posts from this thread for review by other moderators.
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.