Thread: Handcycles - Electrical Power Assistance

Handcycles - Electrical Power Assistance

Please take a look at this and let me know if I can give a test ride to anyone living locally to Atlanta.

www.roadracepowerpod.com

Would love to get your reactions too....

Good idea Mark, I think there is definatly a market for those, especially with aging paras like me or quads. I had thought about something like this years ago and mounted my power trike to the back of the handcycle much like your idea. The price is not bad either, those direct drive motors are not cheap.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Nice... but how are you managing the throttle? (I'll watch the video in a bit, sorry if it's addressed in there)

One of my current projects involves a BionX setup. I'll post more in the next couple months.

Electric Power Assist

Great idea. The video was fun to watch. It seems that more folks are picking up on battery assist. See link below at Freedomryder website. Mike told me that 4 Vets have ordered already.
    http://www.freedomryder.com/FRH-1X.htm They use a bionx system which is very expensive.

About a year ago, I adapted a freedomryder ST-I and have been enjoying it almost every day. My battery started as a 36v 12ah, but now I'm only getting 3ah. Time for a new battery or perhaps a power pod.

Keep us posted. If you come to No Cal, I'd love to take it for a spin.
    In the dime stores and bus stations, people talk of situations, read books, repeat quotations, draw conclusions on the wall. ......Bob Dylan

Quote Originally Posted by Nirvana View Post
    Great idea. The video was fun to watch. It seems that more folks are picking up on battery assist. See link below at Freedomryder website. Mike told me that 4 Vets have ordered already.
    http://www.freedomryder.com/FRH-1X.htm They use a bionx system which is very expensive.

About a year ago, I adapted a freedomryder ST-I and have been enjoying it almost every day. My battery started as a 36v 12ah, but now I'm only getting 3ah. Time for a new battery or perhaps a power pod.

Keep us posted. If you come to No Cal, I'd love to take it for a spin.
    I spoke to you on the phone....months ago!!!
    It was your explanation of the difficulties of converting a handcycle to electric that set me thinging of a different approach.....I owe ya!

I'd love to have you test it....I think you'd like it

Quote Originally Posted by -scott- View Post
    Nice... but how are you managing the throttle? (I'll watch the video in a bit, sorry if it's addressed in there)

One of my current projects involves a BionX setup. I'll post more in the next couple months.
    This video shows the throttle towards the end:

its a thumb throttle with the spring replaced with a ratchet. There is an emergency OFF button near the brake. It feels like cruise control, and the more you work, the less it works for any given speed.

Just sent an email to my wife saying this is what I want for Christmas. With my old wornout shoulders, this will be ideal. Why are all the good stuff coming out so late in my career?