Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: OEG transplant performed in humans, Lisbon, Portugal

I would be more than willing to undergo the knife and "let the dice role" Does anyone know when there will be more clinical trials using this technique?
    I'll take my chances, always have always will.

I am a paraplegic patient (T11 lesion) since March 2002. After reading an article (Paraplegia News Magazine) of his procedures I've become very interested on contacting Dr. Carlos Lima. I would like to expose to him my problem and get his opinion. How can I contact him?? I would like to write him, but I haven't been able to find his e-mail address. Can you please help me??

thanks in advance,
    Jim Day

Jim, welcome to Carecure!

Dr. Lima's email is: crlima@clix

From what he has told me (and others here) he is looking for injuries where the "cavity" in your cord is less than 2 cm long.

Unfortunately I didn't qualify for his trial. Hopefully you do. Please let us know if you learn anything intersting or actually intend to have the procedure done.

Hi Jim,

I noticed mk99 forgot the rest of the email address - it should be crlima@clix.pt

Originally posted by mk99:

From what he has told me (and others here) he is looking for injuries where the "cavity" in your cord is less than 2 cm long.
    How do find this out?

_____
    Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

Jim Day, welcome.

For information about the cost of the surgery, click here.

Jimnms,

the only way to really find out what your injury looks like is to examine your MRIs careully... or if you are serious about it, email them to Dr. Lima himself.

Hi,

Is there any news about the two american patients that were operated on by Dr. Lima and are now in Physical Therapy at Project Walk? I believe they were going to report on their condition around the end of June.

Thanks,

Sergio

Sergio,

One of the patients has left Project Walk to return home. Do not know if this individual will return later. As of the end of June, neither had yet experienced any return as I understand.

To: Kim R.Donadei Subject: letter of Almudena Thursday, December 12, 2002, 12:03:29 A.M., you wrote: Hello Francisco I know these investigations and my scientific colleagues other countries also know them. All we agreed in our opinions and we are a little indignant with this type of clinical tests that the only thing that does is to use people who are desperate like guinea pigs. I do not have long time for give details but I summarize ours to seem to you. the 1) doctor of Lisbon does not have any international medical publication or scientific that it indicates that some with glÃ*a surrounding has experience > olfatory (neither of the bulb nor of the nasal cavity). 2) has experience Either some neither with glÃ*a surrounding nor with no another technique in the repair of SCI in laboratory animals . 3 the technique that already it is using in people have not been published Either and therefore has not passed any committee of expert scientists. 4 the surrounding use of glÃ*a olfatoria coming from olfatory epitely (of the nose), have not given better results than the one of olfatory bulb . In experiments done in rats by an Australian group the transplanted animals were able to support their weight, neither presented/displayed recovery of the coordinated voluntary movement, nor recovery of sensitivity. 5) In addition, not yet have been able to obtain pure cells for transplant, with what they are transplanting polluting cells that are not olfatory glÃ*a surrounding . These polluting cells is demonstrated that they form a greater scar in the site of the injury which, could be detrimental . 6) In addition, to the behavior the cells of the nasal cavity and to be a this zone filled with bacteria, exists risk if these are not eliminated all > bacteria, of introducing infections in the transplanted spinal cord. 7) have been suspended the clinical tests similar to these of Portugal, that already had begun in Brisbane (Australia) also using surrounding glÃ*a of the nasal cavity. At the moment reasons have not presented this decision, they do not want to give details of the subject to nobody and is the certain dark about. Surely the tests in people were considered premature and dangerous for the patients. Really, this doctor of Lisbon who does not have experience nor with these cells, nor in repair of SCI, is using to people like experimentation animals. This is not the first time that some doctor does this, and to the scientists and doctors that yes we have experience and we worked in this field, seems to us a lack of professionalism and ethics. We are frankly indignant before this type of clinical tests that generate hopes and that, by precipitated, as much damage can do to investigations that are serious really in this field. the accomplishment of clinical tests must of being something programmed, studied and based on a previous experience and previous results with animals of laboratory. This doctor of Lisbon lacks all this and what does is not guaranteed by the scientific community. If you want you can transmit these opinions to the list to medular. a hug, Almudena