Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: OEG transplant performed in humans, Lisbon, Portugal

vgrafen,

You can now add Saudi Arabia. They are aggressively doing stem cell research. Since muslims believe that life starts 120 days after union of egg and sperm they have no ethical restrictions. In regards to the trouble your having with gait training, New Mobility advertises the EZ Walker. It is expensive $7,200 but they have good stats on those that have used it. I'm trying to get my insurance company to pay half. Also, I built my own gait trainer w/hoist and safety harness for under $1000. I will try it for the first time Saturday. I'll let you know how it works. Reminder, I'm a C5/C6 incomplete quad.

Deb

DR WISE THE ONE WHAT IS HAPPENING HERE?

Some few members of this forum don't like good news comings of other countries.

WHY?

THAT GETS TO BE RIDICULOUS...

Rebechi_Brasil

PLEASE GIVE ME EMAIL ID AND COMPLETE ADRESS WITH TELEPHONE NO. OF DR. CARLOS LIMA IF POSSIBLE

SATISH

Rebechi

I think you might be misunderstanding some of the replies to this topic. I think we all love hearing good news from other countries. I think people are just disappointed in the US effort. Most early human trials seem to be happening outside the US at this time. But we'll take them any way and anywhere we can get them!

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

Jeff's right

Rebechi,

I'll go ANYWHERE for a cure and I try to send an email thanking those that are in human clinical trials. I just get so disgusted that our researchers continually use animal studies and state the sickening 5-10 year timeline for human trials. The monies I have donated to various research agencies should have gone overseas.

Deb

Vgraf,

The macrophage experimental therapy (as aggressive as any) should be available for acutes in 2003. Chronics possibly by 2004/05. All to take place at Craig hospital, Denver, initially.

However, overseas does seem to be the most available initially and immediately.

We must continue to press the urgency.
    Onward and Upward!

Just saw an interview of Dr. Pratas Vital on Portuguese TV

Hi,

Dr. Pratas Vital was just interviewed on portuguese channel rtp2 speaking about the australian news and what is going on in Portugal at Egas Moniz Hospital, I was very impressed. You should be able to see the interview on http://www.rtp.pt/sites/rtpvideo.htm and clicking on Jornal 2. Its in portuguese. There is a small segment before the interview refering to the treatment. Note the date, Dr. Vital was interviewed on the 12th of July 2002, choose that date.
    I just finished watching this on TV, sometimes it takes some time for them to make the video available.

Sergio

[This message was edited by Sergio on Jul 12, 2002 at 06:20 PM.]

Portugal

I saw just a little blurp of the OEG in Portugal on CNN 7/11/02.

There was no mention of it in the Phoenix and USA Today paper.This sounds promising and might work with no 5-10 year time limit on it.But the USA will play with rats for years before any human sees it.

The proof is in the pudding, as they say

I know no one wants to hear this, but I for one am not flying off to some other country to try something that I haven't seen longer range results on. I lost 7,000+ dollars to that joker in Salt Late City a few years ago, I can't remember his name, but some non-invasive "magic" injections.

I figure after this is well proven over there, it will hit our shores quickly. If once it's well proven the U.S. still doesn't pick up on it, then there's bigger problems here than I thought, and I'll be booking a flight.

I guess after so many years, and especially toward the end of the day, I slowed down and traded my sense of urgency for a sense of more certainty. I hope these guys do fantastic and they move on to chronic quads without a hitch, but until then I'm STILL curious about this cord blood thing... Dr. Young? Will helping one person with a baby's cord blood deplete the entire supply?

"I figure after this is well proven over there, it will hit our shores quickly. If once it's well proven the U.S. still doesn't pick up on it, then there's bigger problems here than I thought, and I'll be booking a flight. "

you'd better book one then. Remember RU486? (the "abortion" pill). It was approved and used in Europe for YEARS before finally being available here. The main reason was politics.

Now look at ESC, therapeutic cloning, etc. All very political issues.

I can CLEARLY see a day in the very near future where only the wealthy can afford to be "cured"... overseas. It will eventually get here... but isn't it disgusting and immoral how many years of pain, suffering and easily preventable deaths will occur to those who can't afford to travel? If it was because of scientific reasons I could accept this. But for political, beaurocratic and lawsuit paranoia reasons -> NO.