Thread: Question about sensation

Question about sensation

I'm new on here and had a recent incomplete sci. I have alot of questions and was hoping that there was someone out there who has experienced what I'm going through right now. I would like to know what these electrical feelings throughout my body are, and why is it that I can feel light touch, but not deep touch on my lower extremeties. Its only been about 5 months since my injury, so my body is going through alot of different things that I do not understand. I would appreciate any info!!

Have you been told your level of SCI? Your type of incomplete injury? Light touch (along with temperature sensation) is carried in tracts in the front part of the spinal cord, while deep touch (most likely actually pressure) is carried in tracts in the posterior part of the cord. Do you have a posterior cord syndrome? This usually results in only minimal paralysis, but loss of proprioception (position sense) and pressure as the major deficits.

The electric type shooting pain is common in many people with SCI. It is a type of neuropathic pain. There are a number of measures you can try to help with this if it is severe, including TENS, and medications such as Neurontin or Lyrica. Do you have a physiatrist you are working with? They can often help you explore options for treatment of neuropathic pain. Some have also been helped by acupuncture.

(KLD)