Page 1 of 19 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me with poster text??

Help me with poster text??

Ok, this is enough. People need to see what our lives are really like. Spinal Cord Injury is a major life altering injury. Media shows us achieving great things despite our SCI. And thats wonderful. But people need to realize how SCI affects every system in your body from skin to circulatory, excretion, respiratory, cardio, to muscular. We basically have to take care of and haul around 3/4 or 1/2 our bodies. We suffer from pain, depression, discrimination, and injuries. Many of us are dependent on others for the most basic needs and desires. From emptying the bladder and bowels to scratching their nose to breathing.
    We all face the physical barriers in the world. You'll never know how uphill flat can be until you use a wheelchair! Or hate steps and tight spaces so much. We are unable to visit many places due to lack of accessibilty.
    But the emotional/ mental barriers are the worst. For centuries SCI was considered an unfixable injury. People were rehabilitated and told to get used to it, deal with it, this is your life. We were told we'de never walk again. But... that's a not true anymore!!

Spinal Cord Injury is 'curable'!! There have been many exciting discoveries over the last decade. Starting with MP ( can someone help me fill in the maor points researh wise? I'm still learning...Jeff? Chris?.. in everyday terms)

Yet, many professionals lke doctors, nurses, physiotherapists and scientests are sceptical and negative... Researchers continue to focus on animal rials, anf theorhetcal experimentation. Thousands of individuals, including many with SCI don't believe in a cure. And as Chris C., who has a SCI, states, ". Without belief in the end result who cares about the science."

Ok...I'm soooo tired. I plan to make this into a sort of poster or something ( when my eyes are open) If anyone wants to contribute or suggest, please do. I want to make this into a campaign of some sort. In the morning....Zzzzzzzz.

Emi

I'd suggest this book to anyone. It's easy to read and very interesting:

In Search of the Lost Cord: Solving the Mystery of Spinal Cord Regeneration (2001)

It has all the history in it.

The full text is available to read online for free:

http://books.nap.edu/books/030907437...6.html#pagetop

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

Emi:

I'll be more than happy to help. This poster is something we should ALL make public in our communities and, I think we should! My only question is, how do we cover sooooooooooooo many issues in 1 graphic????? Anyhow, I'll check in here during the weekend and, if there are any ideas, I'll help/work or whatever on it next week. After tuesday my life might get back to "normal" speed hopefully.

...It's the heart afraid of breaking,that never learns to dance... It's the dream afraid of waking that never takes the chance... It's the one who won't be taken, who cannot seem to give, and the soul afraid of dyin'... That never learns to live...

Emi

I am trying to set up a meeting in miami to see if they can point me in a direction to help make some of these ideas become realities, if i can pick up anything that will help you i will pass it along. i think your idea is wonderful it is something that i have been saying for 8 years, untill people understand that this thing is not all OK peple die from thiswe wont get the support we need. keep up the good work. PS how did your meeting go do you have a new friend?

Ok...Heres my thoughts now that I've slept! If we could design a series of posters, display components, media releases pamphlets with a clear, concise message about what SCI really is, how it effects our quality of life, that it can happen to anyone and that IT IS CURABLE. And develop it so that it could be easily distributed via internet then we could choose a week and eeryone who can could set up a display somewhere approprite and PUBLIC... Is there an international SCI week?
    What could be our symbol? A ribbin or something... And a name?

"It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible
    to find it elsewhere."
    --Agnes Repplier, writer and historian

poster

Emi idont think marmalady is big on the ribbon idea. but i think you are on to something we cant do much aone but togather as one voice we can change the world or at least or little bit of it. what ever i can do please let me know.

Sell Pins

Emi,

I also spent between 4:00 a.m. and this morning thinking about how to raise consciousness and money. I want my body back now. I'm sick to deatrh of this injury especially since there are valid cures on the horizon. Someone recently posted a logo which showed a wheelchair with a red DO NOT sign over it. We could manufacture pins using blue crystal for the chair and red crystal for the DO NOT SIGN (circle w/ line through it. We could then get one of the major jewlry chains manufacture them for a small profit while the major profit went to Applied SCI resesarch. What do you think? I could do a picture in powerpoint and see what everyone thinks. Let me know.

Deb

Now here is a project I can get behind.

Deb - Rus knows something about buttons and such. Contact him.
    I will sell them here and in fact it can be a part of my educational presentation that I am going to market to area schools here...I may have neglected to tell you that I would like to have your input there. Whatever resource you develop will go far when it is taught to the next generation of caregivers. Everyone has their place in the battle I think, I know I have found mine.

EMI- It seems to me that when you want to make a poster such as this, Rus could also help you with that...I am sure by now he is used to me referring his talents...he makes a helluva party invitation.

I think a stick figure shown getting up from the chair might be the best way to go for a symbol for us.

I mocked up a Do Not Wheelchair symbol for visual effect. Honestly, I believe many who don't think like we do would find it offensive. They like the normal wheelchair symbol because it means access. It's a positive image to most. And they love their wheelchairs. They outfit them like their first car. A wheelchair means mobility. "Do not wheelchair" would be a hard sell. I think something positive like the KWNPF symbol [also shown] would go over better. Although, that symbol is more for hope of the future than action today, IMO. A stick figure getting up from the chair is positive and represents a present cure.

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~
    Attached Images Attached Images  

TEE-SHIRTS

I just have had an epiphany!!! A couple of years ago, when I was AB, I ran a little samich shop across for a small university. When I fist opened an old shady guy came in and said, "I'm not going to tell you how to run you business or anything, but if I can tell you just one thing-advertise". Of course I didn't head his advice-hell, the university was across the street and they is in no other outside restaurant around! However there is one fact that cannot be denied: there is a little restaurant you may have heard of called MacDonald's-guess what? They advertise. So do a couple little companies called Coke Cola and Pepsi. Well the business did ok, fair at best. I decided to go finish my PhD. at FSU and had an appointment to break my back. The one thing I always regretted was that I didn't advertise in the right way. When I would advertise it would be transitory. After the radio announced it, it was part of the neither-world, poof, floating out to space. A few flyers would end up in the garbage in short order. I always felt that if I had done something as simple as tee shirts, people would still be advertising for me right now, even as the shop was closed. Most people cannot find it in themselves to throw away a perfectly new shirt. It's cheap to get the local company to make a few shirts of you own design-200 bucks. My new idea is to make a simple shirt with perhaps the Miami Project's design on it with a simple caption, "Push for Human Trials." Send these shirts to the researchers, give them away to people in you community, send one to your senator, give them to you doctor, nurses, therapist. I will have an appointment for a follow up with Barth Green in Miami soon. I can take a hand full of shirts to the Miami Project and personally hand them out to the doctors, students, and researchers. The important thing is to be in peoples face all the time, make them ask questions, force those who know to explain themselves and what is going on. Big companies have the money to always be on TV or on bill-boards. If we did this simple thing first, I think this might be one small way to build to more notoriety-commercials, radio and TV shows dedicated to the subject etc.