Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Do You?

I'm sure they will love to check in on you to see how you are doing. And I can almost guarantee they will use you as an example for their other patients, like "look, Jessica can do it, you will too!"

Quote Originally Posted by tooley View Post
    I'm sure they will love to check in on you to see how you are doing. And I can almost guarantee they will use you as an example for their other patients, like "look, Jessica can do it, you will too!"

Ahahaha that made me smile slash laugh out loud.. My mom thinks I'm crazy because I'll be on the computer and randomly starting laughing.

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliegirl2010 View Post
    Well, I sent them Friend Requests on Facebook so hopefully it'll be ok haha
    I keep in touch with a couple of mine on facebook, and we chat in person whenever I am by the hospital for any other reason.

I am sure it will be ok, if they didn't want to keep in touch with people, they would not be on facebook.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Quote Originally Posted by sjean423 View Post
    I keep in touch with a couple of mine on facebook, and we chat in person whenever I am by the hospital for any other reason.

I am sure it will be ok, if they didn't want to keep in touch with people, they would not be on facebook.

I guess, but, Facebook is for friends and family, too... personal lives.

Well, worst case scenario, is they won't accept the friend request, and no harm done.

I hope they do .... it is nice to keep in touch.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

There was no internet when I was injured *sigh*.

I kept in touch for a few years with a couple of nurses and pts but eventually lost touch unforunately.
    Last edited by leschinsky; 07-07-2011 at 09:22 PM.
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

Quote Originally Posted by sjean423 View Post
    Well, worst case scenario, is they won't accept the friend request, and no harm done.

I hope they do .... it is nice to keep in touch.

Yes, it is. I know no harm done, I just wouldn't want to cause a problem if I ever REALLY needed something again, like my cushion or info on a standing chair. Is it just me or do some therapists really and truly become our friends?

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliegirl2010 View Post
    Yes, it is. I know no harm done, I just wouldn't want to cause a problem if I ever REALLY needed something again, like my cushion or info on a standing chair. Is it just me or do some therapists really and truly become our friends?
    If you ever get the chance to see the Rick Hansen documentary "Heart of a Dragon" watch it. He travels the world with his best friends and physical therapist using his racing wheelchair. Great footage of the Great Wall of China. They are portrayed by actors but it shows the relationship he forges with his female physical therapist. They fall in love, she leaves her husband and they live happily ever after. The scene in his hotel room where he wheels around with her on his lap really touched my heart.

So I don't think a friendship is out of the question. Just don't expect too much. They do good work with alot of different people and can't be bff's with everyone. Treat them nice and respect their boundaries. Just like anyone- you can't make someone be your friend, they have to reciprocate.

One of the nurses and one of the PT from my first time in rehab, 41 years ago, are still working there. At least they did one year ago. And one of the patients is living there, I think she was maybe 5 years post when I was there the first time and I think she is more than 80 years old and on a repirator and they take really good care of her.
    TH 12, 43 years post

I ran into an OT of mine a few years after going home from rehab. We ended up getting along great, dated for maybe two months, and she was the first girl i had sex with after my injury. Almost felt like a virgin again when it happened, but it helped me knowing that she understood everything that came with SCI.