Thread: I need new wrist splints.

I need new wrist splints.

Hello all,
    My name is Chris and I am a C4/C5 quad. I used to be an active member of this forum but, medical problems, too much pain medication and life happened and I have not been around here since around for a long time. I started a new profile today because I want to start spending a little bit more time on the forum because, to be quite honest, it's been a very long time since I've spoken to another person with SCI and I think it's time that I start reaching out again. I've begun to realize that, I have missed speaking with people who can understand what it's like to be paralyzed. So, I hope to be able to make myself known and get to know some of you.

I have a question regarding wrist splints and I was hoping some of the other quads could let me know what you are using, and also where you got them from. I use tan leather eating splints, 24/7, and I'm just not happy with them anymore. They dig into my arms under the three Velcro straps and I'm just not happy with that anymore. I like them in the sense that with the fork or spoon is supposed to slide into the little slot, I've been able to keep a half of a pencil there, sticking out from the butt of my hand, so that I can use the eraser to press buttons on my television remote. So, I'm looking for something similar but it definitely needs to be more comfortable and easier to clean, since leather starts smelling like dirty feet. :-)

I appreciate your help and look forward to some conversation.
    Chris
    “For the great Gaels of Ireland / Are the men that God made mad, / For all their wars are merry, / And all their songs are sad.” GK Chesterton: 1874 - 1936

Do you have access to a good occupational therapist? This is going to be your best resource to get the type of splints that meet your needs. They should have access to the latest splints for what you are trying to do with them. You may need to have your doctor write a script for them but they should prescribe the exact splints that the therapist recommends.--eak
    Elizabeth A. Kephart, PHR
    mom/caregiver to Ryan-age 21
    Incomplete C-2 with TBI since 3/09

Thanks eak, I hadn't even thought about trying to get in contact with an occupational therapist. I have not been in any kind of therapy for quite a while so, I guess I'll just have to ask my doctor about it when he gets back from vacation.
    Chris
    “For the great Gaels of Ireland / Are the men that God made mad, / For all their wars are merry, / And all their songs are sad.” GK Chesterton: 1874 - 1936

Blog Entries

Researching wrist splints: Good question: Ridiculous answer

Quote Originally Posted by ekephart View Post
    Do you have access to a good occupational therapist? This is going to be your best resource to get the type of splints that meet your needs. They should have access to the latest splints for what you are trying to do with them. You may need to have your doctor write a script for them but they should prescribe the exact splints that the therapist recommends.--eak
    Any follow-up to your last post Irish?
    Most occupational therapists of today go only to the internet and catalogues for info like this. We could do the same.
    The only good occupational therapists are those old-school who can take these splints and modify them so they're actually useful.

Irishquad has not visited our forums since 7/4/11, so it is unlikely you will get a response to your query.

(KLD)

Thanks for the inquiry Tim. I did not get approved for an occupational therapist visit, because I could not prove that meaningful gains could be made, since my paralysis has not changed for the last 10 years.

But, I did do some research online, and found that for $50, I can purchase new eating splints online at this link:
    http://www.rehabmart.com/product/eco...cuff-7851.html