Thread: Floor exercises

Floor exercises

I purchased a mat on which to do some floor exercises. However, I am concerned about how much weight my shoulders can support since they have not been used in almost 2 years. I've thought about using a wedge foam pillow to help support. Does anyone have any suggestions for other types of exercises that will help me do some upper body weight-bearing? Should I try to planks exercises or is that a recipe for disaster?
    C3/C4. Complete

start slow with some therabands - colored elastic bands of varying resistance. Working from your chair will be enough to start. You could tie them to a lower point on your chair or even park on them and pull up having the other end knotted to hook in your hand or on your wrist. If you keep your arms straight this will work your shoulders. Work different angles- straight ahead, out to the side, in between. Getting mobile slowly will ensure you don't over-do it and in time will increase the range-of-motion and strength in your shoulders and in time will be good for your heart and lungs. I was lucky enough to have a physical therapist come put these on my bedposts on my fourth day in ICU after my accident. I pulled on them night and day, it was the one thing I had control over. It's never too late, it's awesome you want to do this and I'm very glad to see you are able. Day by day, minute by minute is how this battle is won.

PLANKS!!??.......dude, do u know how much core strength it takes to do em?......ur profile says c3/4 complete.....range of motion, and resistance from either bands or a helper seems to be where to start for u......
    Last edited by roc21; 07-02-2011 at 02:48 PM.
    - Rolling Thru Life -

I'm no expert but some pool exercise is a definite go go for you.
    Since you've mentioned the floor mat Start by doing stretching exercises and build it up slowly slowly.

Thanks for the feedback! Unfortunately, I had a pretty severe injury and at this point am only able to shrug and rotate my shoulders. I am trying to find some weight bearing exercises for my upper body that can be done even though I am unable to assist in any way. Would planks work with assistance from a physical therapist work by sliding a wedge pillow under my upper body to support me?. I am trying to find a pool as well because I know it is of great benefit to get in the water.
    C3/C4. Complete

Sfedor

As long as you do not have any previous or ongoing shoulder issues (subluxation, etc.) the best way we have found to start people loading their shoulders is to place them lying prone supported on the elbows with a small wedge (~ 8 inches on the thick end) or a large thickly padded bolster (10 inch dia) under the chest.

Eric Harness, CSCS
    Founder/President
    Neuro Ex, Inc
    Adaptive Performance and Neuro Recovery

I give you credit for trying. I'd say, think of the exercise that you have in mind first and imagine yourself doing it. Then, get whatever setup and assistance you need and give it a try. I wanted to do yoga in the worst way since it was something I loved pre-SCI. I thought through the poses, put on an instructional DVD and gave it a try. I had to modify many of them, but found a way to make it work.

sfedor, maybe ur not clear about what "planks" are....they take great core strength......u can lay on your stomach and get on your elbows...maybe thats what ur thinking..the picture below is what "planks" are....
    - Rolling Thru Life -

Good picture, Roc. So Sfedor, the postion I am describing is the same as the picture above but with your legs and pelvis on the ground and a bolster or wedge under your chest and elbows supporting your shoulders. You also want to make sure that you put a block/pillow between your ankles and then put a strap or belt around your ankles to hold them to the block/pillow. This will ensure that your knees and femurs maintain the proper alignment and dont internally or externally rotate.

Eric Harness, CSCS
    Founder/President
    Neuro Ex, Inc
    Adaptive Performance and Neuro Recovery

Sfedor,
    I agree with all the other comments and just wanted to share my experiences. Firstly, good on you for getting stuck into the floor work. I’m c5/6 complete so I know I’ve got more in the arm department and I’m not comparing us or bragging about what I can do. When I started I couldn’t do anything – I’d be flat on my stomach and couldn’t get my arms in or under me to lift up. 6 months later, with assistance, I could support myself on my elbows. Another 6 months of gruesome floor work and I could go from flat to elbows without assistance. Another 6 months and I could go from flat to elbows and knees (with someone pushing down on the back of my knees). With assistance to get up, I can now support myself on my hands and knees. It has been a long, hard journey, and its nowhere near over, but there is progress.
    Get on the mat and start slow. If nothing else, I’m sure it will feel great to stretch out on your stomach. If you want pictures of any of the movements I described above, just let me know.
    Best of luck and looking forward to hearing how it goes.
    Ruth