Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Protein Bars?

I would drink shakes rather than bars. You will get more protein. I had flap surgery in January and was put on 120 grams of protein a day. I think some of it depends on your weight.
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

another vote for Clif Builder bars
    c5/6 complete

wait, what?

Anyone have suggestions on a particular protein powder? Where do you buy it and what is a reasonable price to pay?

Scott, I appreciate the link but can't locate price.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Quote Originally Posted by cheesecake View Post

Scott, I appreciate the link but can't locate price.
    www.amazon.com

Quote Originally Posted by cheesecake View Post
    My question is specific to 2 stage 3/4 pressure sores. Not sure why this was moved to food from Care. My next question is how many grams of protein a day are needed to heal pressure sores? What lab should a doctor run to get a baseline of your protein level? How much over the normal daily amount of protein is needed to help healing?
    The body needs between 0.5-0.8 grams of protein per pound. I weigh about 165lbs and try to eat at least 120grams of protein a day.

The body can absorb about 22 grams of protein per sitting so eat small meals.
    E lots of meat, fish, eggs (take out a yolk for 2 eggs), lots fruits and veggies, and nuts. I eat also eat Cliff Builder Bars and also A protein shake rig after I workout. Exercise will increase muscle mass so keep it at. PM me if you have any questions.
    Never Give Up!

Also, be careful to read the list of ingredients regarding Sugar Alcohols! Some bars have 20g or more of Sugar Alcohols which can/will make your poop very very soft. Learned from experience. It wasn't a fun 2 days after the protein bar.
    Never Give Up!

i'm hooked on met-rx apple crisp pie bars i get them from amazon. they really taste good.
    Street Dreamz c.c. maryland

Quote Originally Posted by -scott- View Post
    shakes, not bars.

these have 50g protein per serving. http://www.theisopurecompany.com/powders.php

recipes (for other ideas): http://www.theisopurecompany.com/recipes.php
    That's a lot of protein! I've read that you can absorb about 22g of protein at one time.
    Never Give Up!

Quote Originally Posted by offroaderswife View Post
    I would drink shakes rather than bars. You will get more protein. I had flap surgery in January and was put on 120 grams of protein a day. I think some of it depends on your weight.
    It does depend on your weight. Women need about 0.5g of protein per pound and men need about 0.8g per pound. If you're trying to build muscle, you'll need to add about 50% more.

I just realized that the figures above are for able-bodied individuals. I don't think there are figures for paras or quads. I try to eat at least 120g a day. I know it sounds like a lot but almost every natural food product has protein. A glass of Tropicana Orange Juice has 4g (I think?).

The most important part of protein intake is getting a balance of the all of the necessary amino acids. I don't know much about how do that but I was told by a nutritionist to eat a balanced diet; meat, veg,starch, fruit, juices, etc.

Remember, Google is your friend.
    Never Give Up!

[QUOTE=cheesecake;1389272]Anyone have suggestions on a particular protein powder? Where do you buy it and what is a reasonable price to pay?

Scott, I appreciate the link but can't locate price.[/

I found an incredible protein powder by Rivalus. It's all natural and sweetened with Stevia as opposed to sugar alcohols which can cause soft stool, or worse...diarrhea. it's Canadian so I'm not sure if you'll find it in the states but it's worth it.
    Never Give Up!