Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you keep from getting killed by your chair.

How do you keep from getting killed by your chair.

In my Jeep I have a strap I tie my chair down with when I off road. I my car I put the chair in the back seat and lean the passenger seat back against it.
    I've had the chair come slamming into the back of the front seat a couple times from making quick stops.
    I have seen safety movies of what happens to a person not held in by a seat belt in an accident. They fly around in the car like a ping pong ball.
    In an accident I figure the one in the car is going to come up and beat me to death.
    So what are people doing to keep their chair from beating on them?

That is why it is forbidden to have the chair inside in the car without securing it.
    TH 12, 43 years post

I keep a manual chair on the back seat of my van (just in case) and use the seat belt to hold it. Just wrap the seatbelt around the frame a couple times and fasten it.

after you break your neck this is all really trivial. For many of those of us with decreased hand function due to cervical level injuries there is nothing more annoying than fighting with one more thing to get from point A to point B. If whomever/whatever is in control of this world wants you dead or injured strapping in your wheelchair isn't going to make a lick of difference. Don't worry so much.

Now if there were children in the vehicle, that's a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by tooley View Post
    after you break your neck this is all really trivial. For many of those of us with decreased hand function due to cervical level injuries there is nothing more annoying than fighting with one more thing to get from point A to point B. If whomever/whatever is in control of this world wants you dead or injured strapping in your wheelchair isn't going to make a lick of difference. Don't worry so much.

Now if there were children in the vehicle, that's a different story.

agree...
    Living the Dream, C6/C7 incomplete.

I lock my wheels and then attach one bungee to my left rear wheel hub, and another to my right front fork. Both of these are attached to tie down rings on the floor, and the front bungee is hooked to the ring, wraps around the fork and back to the ring. You could do the same with the back tire by passing one end between the spokes. Sometimes it moves sideways a bit, but really seems secure otherwise. I got worried about this after having to lock up behind a car that jammed on their brakes for no apparent reason a couple of months ago. I got out my tie down parts and my bungee collection and tried different arrangements until I came up with the one that seemed most stable and secure.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3/4 ASIA A 21 years post injury

Seat belt?

I put my chair in the front passenger seat. There's maybe two inches between it and the dashboard, so there's not much of anywhere for it to go.

I have that problem with my racing chair. I use a bungee cord through both rear wheels, attached to the tie downs in the back of my station wagon. That solves the flying forward problem. Then I wedge a stick behind the back wheels. That solves the flying backward problem.

Yup, me too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Haze View Post
    agree...
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

I was in a single car crash in the snow/ice back in 2002 (25 mph or so... slid off the road sideways and into a tree) and my loose wc in the passenger seat was thrown around a bit. The accident seemed to be in slow motion but once I hit the tree the chair flew from the passenger seat into me and the dashboard pretty quickly.

I still don't lock it down but probably should. On trips I do put it behind the passenger seat but that's as far as I currently go.

I don't see that bungee cords are going to be a lot of help in a real accident. They'll stretch and break. You need to strap down the chair (or anything heavy) very securely with non-elastic webbing or such like. A seat belt should do OK, but only if there's no way that the chair can escape from under/over it.
    I once met a couple who had a drunk hit their car (it was a wagon or a van). Articles in the back flew forward, killing their 2 young children who were sitting in car seats in the back seat. The parents in front were not physically harmed. It was a low speed accident, in town.