Thread: handcyle crash

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live

handcyle crash

how do you get back on your handcycle after a crash? I'm thinking maybe I should practice going from the ground to my handcycle, much like practicing floor to chair transfer.
    I just had a tumbling crash on my handcycle and I must have rolled 3 times and left as many marks on the road as I got on me, crazy thing is I never left the seat and my legs pretty much stayed in footrest until the last roll my right leg came out which probably actually helped me quit rolling and put me on my side. I've fell out of my chair enough to put my arms/hands out to protect my head which probably made me look like i was a stunt rider doing cartwheels with my handcycle. Anyway, i dragged myself to side of road, put my chain back on and checked bike over. I had to call a friend to help me get back on and finished my ride. I've checked and everthing seems ok, but i'll keep an eye out, all the stories of people breaking legs scares the crap out of me. I went around the corner pretty fast and they had dug up the street and it's now gravel, my ass end slid around and went it caught the pavement, I went tumbling. I've had this happen before, but this was the first crash, guess it was going to happen sooner or later, now i just got to figure how to get back on it after the crash so i don't have to call for help.

I sit becide the handcycle and put one leg up over the seat and then lift my but up on the seat. I'm t-11complete.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee1 View Post
    I sit becide the handcycle and put one leg up over the seat and then lift my but up on the seat. I'm t-11complete.
    i'm not that flexible is the problem, and i ride a leen-to-steer so it's a little higher than a top end. I think i could if it didn't leen every time I try to get back on it, going to practice, somewhere in the shade.

Quote Originally Posted by jschism View Post
    i'm not that flexible is the problem, and i ride a leen-to-steer so it's a little higher than a top end. I think i could if it didn't leen every time I try to get back on it, going to practice, somewhere in the shade.
    I ride a lean to steer too. I am pretty flexible though. I have had to do it a few times on both my freedomryder and my one-off. I have never had a big crash but have had a couple tip overs and some mechanical problems. But I think no matter how many people tell you how they do it, you gotta try it yourself to find what works best for you.

Dang JS, glad you are okay. That must have been scary as heck. If there's a curb around, I used to sit up on the curb and transfer on that way. Now a days, with the shoulders so bad, I'd have to call in the army to help me back in. I don't ride too fast or turn too sharply anymore for fear of tipping over.

Yikes! That sounds like quite a tumble. I'm glad you're okay. I don't ride a hand cycle, but recently bought a kayak. I'm in process of practicing getting in and out of it in the yard. Those of us with SCI need to prepare for everything. Repetitive attempts at getting on the bike may lead you to a way that will work. I hope so. Get back on the bike!

Quote Originally Posted by truly View Post
    Yikes! That sounds like quite a tumble. I'm glad you're okay. I don't ride a hand cycle, but recently bought a kayak. I'm in process of practicing getting in and out of it in the yard. Those of us with SCI need to prepare for everything. Repetitive attempts at getting on the bike may lead you to a way that will work. I hope so. Get back on the bike!
    seems Kayaking is gonna be the next big Adaptive sport, been lots of stuff about it in the last year.