Thread: Artificial sweetners nearly as bad as sugar.

Artificial sweetners nearly as bad as sugar.

This news stinks for those of us who are diabetic or overweight, or both.

Study: Sugar substitute coincides with higher blood glucose
    Using aspartame, an artificial sweetener, resulted in elevated blood glucose levels in mice, according to a study. A second study found that people who drink diet sodas had a sixfold increase in waist size compared with those who did not drink the beverages. The findings presented at the annual meeting of the American Diabetes Association suggest that consuming low-calorie diet sodas and artificial sweeteners may still harbor adverse health effects, experts said. MyHealthNewsDaily.com (6/28)

Blog Entries
    A diabetic friend has been using Xylitol, and swears by it. Tastes like sugar, and the grain size makes it look like sugar.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    This news stinks for those of us who are diabetic or overweight, or both.

Study: Sugar substitute coincides with higher blood glucose
    Using aspartame, an artificial sweetener, resulted in elevated blood glucose levels in mice, according to a study. A second study found that people who drink diet sodas had a sixfold increase in waist size compared with those who did not drink the beverages. The findings presented at the annual meeting of the American Diabetes Association suggest that consuming low-calorie diet sodas and artificial sweeteners may still harbor adverse health effects, experts said. MyHealthNewsDaily.com (6/28)
    This does not surprise me in the least. I think ingesting anything artificial is bound to affect your body in (more often than not) a negative way. I still don't believe artificial sweeteners are a non-carcinogen. Our foods are laced with hormones and pesticides and are so overly processed as to barely resemble the whole food from which they came, that it's no wonder cancer, heart disease, type 2 diabetes and other degenerative diseases are so rampant.

Being bakers yeast intollerant (I vomit my guts up) means that I cannt eat bread(unless bought from the health food store at $7 a loaf) , cookies, cakes and a heap of other stuff they put yeast into, much of which doesn't have yeast in if home made. My diet is extremely healthy as I get my carers to make cookies and other stuff from scratch. I buy brown sugar it cuts out 2-3 processes. I don't drink much soda, I last had a soda about 4 months ago cola with brandy. I drink fruit juice- keeps me regular- citrus juice has the same effect as yeast, so basically its apple and other juice like mango, apricot, or pear, unsweetened and red wine which is healthier than white wine.

My sister and a co-worker and I are constantly having this discussion.

I gave up pop in the winter, but have recently started drinking diet Gingerale again because it settles my stomach.

My co-worker is a former paramedic who says that giving a diabetic diet soda in a coma will not work ... so no sugar. My sister says (and I agree) that your body can't tell the difference.

Either way you end up drinking more of it and too much of anything can't be good for you.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Don't use that shit! It's fake. Ever heard of Stevia? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stevia

That sucks. Most of my fluid intake is water flavored with those 0 cal flavoring mixes like Crystal Light and also 0 cal vitamin water and propel. We have both Splenda and Stevia in the pantry.

As bad as this may sound, I fear getting obese more than cancer.