Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Replacement Battery for Tailwind wheelchair

Unhappy Replacement Battery for Tailwind wheelchair

Hi all

Need some help!!!... I'm looking for a new replacement battery for my Tailwind Wheelchair which is little over two years old.

Next Mobility are charging $750 for one and I guess P&P to the UK would bring it to around $800 +.

I would appreciate if someone can advise me.

Regards

Yogaman

If you can get one at any price you will be lucky. The tailwind is no longer produced and I heard that the company does not even exist anymore.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

I chairs were produced by Next Mobility who now have lost the licence to build them. This is why they have parts for the Tailwind and are charging $750 for a new battery. I called Independent Technology (IT)(who are part of a subsidiary company of JnJ) today as they use to sell them for $250. They have sold all their stock and have no more.

IT have told me that they will start selling the drive systems for anyone to purchase as selling the rights to one individual has failed twice. They are looking at re-launching the sales of the Drive Systems in six months time. So we are looking at the start of the New Year 2012 - let’s see if this happens. Hopefully this will bring about a more competitive market.
    Well anyway if anyone can help with the battery or if anyone knows who the manufacturers were then please let me know.
    Regards
    Yogaman

Hope you are correct about the selling the drive units. I will bet that the batteries come from China.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

I rebuilt my iglide battery myself and I am very pleased with the results. I doubled the battery capacity for under $300. You will have to open the case which is not easy, once that is done its just simple soldering the new batteries in. Takes 40 sub c nimh batteries.
    One battery now lasts me all day. It is easy to do yourself with a friends help or any battery/rc toy shop can do it if you don't feel comfortable doing it. If interested I will give you more detailed instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by maddog View Post
    I rebuilt my iglide battery myself and I am very pleased with the results. I doubled the battery capacity for under $300. You will have to open the case which is not easy, once that is done its just simple soldering the new batteries in. Takes 40 sub c nimh batteries.
    One battery now lasts me all day. It is easy to do yourself with a friends help or any battery/rc toy shop can do it if you don't feel comfortable doing it. If interested I will give you more detailed instructions.

Yes can you please elaborate on the details on doing this.

First you need to get the case open. Take a knife or screwdriver and open the seam that runs around the outside. Stay away from the area where the lights are located, there is a circuit board behind it that would be easy to damage.
    Once the case is open take pictures so you will know how everything goes back together. You will see long sticks of batteries looks similar to dynamite, one end is open metal this is negative and the other end has a white ring this is positive. (If you ever have a dead battery that will not take a charge you can use a 6v charger to charge each stick. If you can get about 4v in each stick the main charger will work again.)
    Then you need to buy new batteries. You need 40 sub c nimh batteries. The iglide came with 2800ah batteries and I replaced them with 5000ah. Each battery is 1.2v and 5 batteries are put in series to produce 6v. When I ordered batteries I got them to make these sticks, 5 batteries stacked on top of each other in series. You will need 8 of these sticks. If you send them detailed instructions on what you need they will make the whole pack for you, then you only have to solder 2 wires. I bought the Elite 5000ah sub c batteries and after 6 months still work great. Elite or Tenergy or any other brand should work fine.

The picture with the cardboard tubes are the original batteries, note white ends are +, all metal are -.
    The red pack in the other picture are the new batteries, note circuit board near lights and handle.

Quote Originally Posted by maddog View Post
    First you need to get the case open. Take a knife or screwdriver and open the seam that runs around the outside. Stay away from the area where the lights are located, there is a circuit board behind it that would be easy to damage.
    Once the case is open take pictures so you will know how everything goes back together. You will see long sticks of batteries looks similar to dynamite, one end is open metal this is negative and the other end has a white ring this is positive. (If you ever have a dead battery that will not take a charge you can use a 6v charger to charge each stick. If you can get about 4v in each stick the main charger will work again.)
    Then you need to buy new batteries. You need 40 sub c nimh batteries. The iglide came with 2800ah batteries and I replaced them with 5000ah. Each battery is 1.2v and 5 batteries are put in series to produce 6v. When I ordered batteries I got them to make these sticks, 5 batteries stacked on top of each other in series. You will need 8 of these sticks. If you send them detailed instructions on what you need they will make the whole pack for you, then you only have to solder 2 wires. I bought the Elite 5000ah sub c batteries and after 6 months still work great. Elite or Tenergy or any other brand should work fine.

The picture with the cardboard tubes are the original batteries, note white ends are +, all metal are -.
    The red pack in the other picture are the new batteries, note circuit board near lights and handle.
    What company did you purchase the batteries from?

Quote Originally Posted by Erick [RB] View Post
    What company did you purchase the batteries from?
    I was recommended Cermark because they sold Sanyo batteries for reliability but Sanyo does not make a high ah battery. I bought the elite from them and everything was fine but there are cheaper places to buy. I paid $7 and I have seen $5.50, times 40 it makes a difference. Search google for the battery and different stores, all will make custom packs.

Easiest thing is to buy the 8 sticks premade (5 batteries in a straight row equaling 6 volts) this is easy to describe over the phone. Then reconnect exactly like original. I reused the original connectors that go from one stick to another, but it was a pain getting them off the batteries. Used a sharp chisel and hammer to cut the old spot wields, used the hammer to beat them back flat and soldered them to the new battery sticks. If you are going to solder the batteries buy the sticks with tabs on the ends, its an option and makes soldering easier. If you have access to a battery spot wielder buy the sticks without tabs.
    Last edited by maddog; 06-30-2011 at 05:50 PM.

Blog Entries
    Great info maddog! I will not need it for a tailwind, but the same approach will probably work for other battery packs. When the batteries on my Emotion M-15s die, I will open the pack and see if hthe individual cells are replaceable. Thanks!!
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 24 years post injury