Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Have you met those that saved your life?

Blog Entries
    I went back to the ICU that got me through the first few days after the accident, and thanked all of the personnel that were there. It had been about 8 months, and 2 of the nurses remembered me, as we weathered the Blizzard of March 1993 together.

About 2 years later, I was working at the skydiving operation in Turners Falls, MA and a couple of the LifeFlight chopper pilots came over to shoot the shit with the skydivers one afternoon, and one of them was one of the pilots that airlifted me from Woodstock, CT to the UMass Worcester Trauma Center. It was cool that I got to meet and thank him.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

I have had the honor of meeting on various occasions with the off duty paramedic who was the first person on the scene at my accident. He quite literally saved my life by doing all the right things. He and his family are dear friends and a true blessing to know. They allowed us to share in the joy their first child by inviting my companion and me to be at the hospital w/ family and friends during the birth. Doctors, nurses and fellow staff at the trauma center were my co-workers and have literally been by our side throughout. The support system has been wonderful.
    Last edited by Patty41; 06-28-2011 at 04:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Donno View Post
    I went back to the ICU that got me through the first few days after the accident, and thanked all of the personnel that were there. It had been about 8 months, and 2 of the nurses remembered me, as we weathered the Blizzard of March 1993 together.

About 2 years later, I was working at the skydiving operation in Turners Falls, MA and a couple of the LifeFlight chopper pilots came over to shoot the shit with the skydivers one afternoon, and one of them was one of the pilots that airlifted me from Woodstock, CT to the UMass Worcester Trauma Center. It was cool that I got to meet and thank him.
    So wonderful they all remembered you. Just sorry you had to make such an impression, Don!!

NO!! why would I want to meet the bastard? at my birth he gave my parents the worst possible prohnosis and told them to instiitutionalize me and forget I was born. A common practice still today.

Weird, this just came up. We are planning on visiting the ICU soon and have to make sure my daughter's favorite nurse is on when we visit. She remembers her most because she went out of her way to wheel her (in her bed) outside on a beautiful day after being in the ICU for a week. That one little act really stuck with her. My daughter wants to go back to visit in a manual chair with her new service dog...she really wants to go in strong when she see her nurse.

We haven't talked to the police officer that was first on the scene but I see him quite often in his patrol care in traffic. Maybe he will pull over my daughter when she gets her license at 16?!

David was my saving angel in ICU. He was honest with me & my husband with any question we had. He made me believe there was still life beyond the curtains and kept my husband sane during those first horrible weeks. We never saw him after I was transferred from there to rehab. Bill & I still remember him as the one bright light during that time.

"We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek."
    - Barack Obama

There are so many that I have not had the opportunity to thank yet. I have returned to the ICU at Shepherd where I stayed for the majority of my ICU stay but there was only one nurse there that I knew or that knew me. There had been alot of turnover there by the time I went back. This doctor I am talking about in the opening post was at the Regional Trauma Center in Columbus, GA where I was first air lifted. There are others I want to thank and after that experience it makes me want to make a more sincere effort at making it happen.
    L1 Complete - Injury 3/12/06 - Grateful to be alive!!!!

Copy/pasted from a post many years ago about Chad's injury (I'm too lazy to write it all out again!)

On May 21st, 1988, at the tender age of 19, Chad was just about to finish his sophmore year in college as an art major. That day, he and a bunch of fraternity brothers went to spend the weekend at a house on the banks of the Pamlico River in NC, near his college. Around 2 am on May 22nd, the guys decided that a late night swim sounded fun, so they ran down the dock to jump into the river. Chad was the first one off the dock. He dove head first into water that turned out to only be a few feet deep. He hit his head on the large boulders just beneath the surface.

His body floated lifelessly to the surface after a few seconds. His buddies thought he was floating face down just to yank their chains, just horsing around. After a short while, no one seems to remember just how much time passed, they realized he was not joking - that he was seriously hurt. A few of the guys jumped in, flipped him over and tried to pull him way back to shore; it was a long dock and not easy to get him back. Some of the other guys brought an inner tube, placed him on it and pulled him back to shore. By the time they carried him up to the house, he had been not breathing for close to 4 minutes. He had no heartbeat.

No one knew CPR - except his friend Lee, who had taken a CPR course at the age of eight in the Boy Scouts. Reaching 11 years back into his memory, he started mouth to mouth and chest compressions. Chad spit up water finally, but never did start breathing on his own and his heartbeat did not return. This was pre-cell phone days and the beach house did not have a phone. Some of the boys had already left in their cars to summon help from the nearest payphone.

The ambulance arrived about 45 minutes after the accident. Lee had done CPR for this entire time, alone. The paramedics took over and got him to a small local hospital about 15 minutes after that. At the hospital, his heart finally started beating and he was intubated. Within the hour, a Life Flight helicopter arrived and flew him to a Level I trauma center at East Carolina University where he spent several weeks in intensive care then several months in rehab. He emerged a C4/5 quad with no movement or sensation below a few inches under the shoulders. Lee saved his life single handedly and chose a career as an EMT because of the experience that day. He is now the lead EMT for the entire Raleigh-Durham area where he and we all live. Whenever Chad has to go by ambulance somewhere, they inevitably say "YOU are HIM?" because Lee is the trainer for all EMTs now and always, always tells his story to every new paramedic.