Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new powerchair

new powerchair

Hi,
    Am considering buying a new powerchair, and have seen Permobil which like, a Swedish make www.permobil.com , very informative site with videos of some chairs and their electrical options.
    Am looking for electrical legrests, tilt in space and seat elevation, very comfy supportive seating as I cannot sit straight due to scoliosis and also get back, cervical and coxyx pain all the time. I tend to fall to the front or side instead of being straight due to my scoliosis. I have dislocated hips and inturning legs and feet which I cannot keep on standard footrests as they fall backwards. I use my chair all day and need a good battery range per charge.
    I´m unsure if mid wheel or rear wheel drive versions would be best.although have heard mid wheel versions mean when turning the chair the circle is smaller.

I also need a headrest. I know Permobil have loads of models and have seen some have a feature which detects and corrects driving errors and minimise effort when turning the chair, so minimising tiredness. I have to be accompanied by a carer due to my needs, and am considering the option of an attendant control. I have tetraparesis CP hydrocephalus with a shunt, and am partially sighted. I also cannot judge distance and depth. ´
    Permobil is my fave at the moment but would also welcome other suggestions of chairs with the same features. Any idea of Permobil prices?
    Katherine

Quote Originally Posted by kat81 View Post
    Any idea of Permobil prices?
    With the extras you need the price will be creeping toward thirty thousand dollars.

I should add that I'm in the UK but I doubt they're any cheaper in the US.

I think almost all tilt chairs are mid-wheel drive as they need the extra set of wheels for stablity. Mid-wheel turn in their own radius, so it is a smaller turning area than other types of chairs. I use a Quantum 6000 with tilt and headrest, and a back made by emotions, which offers me good support. On the seat pan is a Jay Deep Contour cushion which works well for me too. Timaru is right, the chair came in at only a couple thousand less than 30 grand.

Hi Timaru, I´m in Spain at the moment, here costs 6-8000 euros for the basic chair. Am British, not checked out uk prices yet, hoping will be cheaper there though

Hi Eileen, what´s the jay deep contour cushion? have been recommended the Jay J3 cushion and the Varilite proform NX, as well as Varilite or ADI backrests. what´s emotions? I´m British but living in Spain, would 30 grand be dollars or pounds? have seen info for quantum 6000, is it mid wheel? am exploring funding options for the chair. Looking forward to changing from the Rumba. Keep in touch, Katherine

Hi kat81,
    I am in the process of getting a Permobile M300 with all the fixins. I also tried Permobile front and rear wheel models, but the mid-wheel won easily when trying it my house. It is sooo maneuverable. The paperwork is slowly winding its way through our bureaucracy. It may be a couple of months before I get it. And the 30 k in USD is on target.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

would 30 grand be dollars or pounds?
    Hi Kat, the 30 grand is in US $ but from what little I know of Permobil that will translate into circa £20,000 plus in rip off Britain.

Have a look at the European spec. Invacare Storm 4, it should come in at less than half the price.

http://doclibrary.invacare.fr/Office...0Storm4_EU.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Timaru View Post
    Hi Kat, the 30 grand is in US $ but from what little I know of Permobil that will translate into circa £20,000 plus in rip off Britain.

Have a look at the European spec. Invacare Storm 4, it should come in at less than half the price.

http://doclibrary.invacare.fr/Office...0Storm4_EU.pdf
    Is that what you got? I LIKE the looks of that!
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    The Storm chairs are highly recommended because of low maintenance, durability and value by The Human Engineering Research Laboratory.

I like the balance between the drive wheels and the casters. To bad they aren't making front wheel drive anymore.
    Probably only in Europe for now.

An acquaintance who ordered wheelchairs for 30 years, said Permobil was having some problems right now.

The last time I was in the VA chair repair section, there were 10 broken Pride Mobility powerchairs to every one of the other brands. Are they ordered more because they are the cheapest on the market or are they built poorly? I bet on quality.

When I saw the Jazzy that the VA had ordered for me I flipped out and refused to take it. It would not have lasted a month.
    Had to get help from the United Spinal Associations technicians to help me select a quality chair. Pride Mobility was never mentioned. Quickie, Invacare and Permobil were considered and one other. I would fell good about these.
    Last edited by forestranger52; 06-28-2011 at 08:20 PM.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Hi Eileen, what´s the jay deep contour cushion? have been recommended the Jay J3 cushion and the Varilite proform NX, as well as Varilite or ADI backrests. what´s emotions? I´m British but living in Spain, would 30 grand be dollars or pounds? have seen info for quantum 6000, is it mid wheel? am exploring funding options for the chair. Looking forward to changing from the Rumba. Keep in touch, Katherine
    Hi,
    Jay Deep Contour cushion is one made with a gel like material at your tailbone area, offering good protection from pressure sores. The amount of money I mentioned was in US dollars, so it should be less in Euro's since right now the exchange rate is good for the Euro. The Quantum 6000 is a mid-wheel drive chair, so it turns in it's own radius and has six wheels instead of four, which I think all mid-wheel chairs also have. I will dig out the info on the back for my chair and get back to you.