Thread: Beached Whales Have Central Pain?

Beached Whales Have Central Pain?

Patients in Hawaii who ingest fish during red tides sometimes develop an illness, followed by temperature reversal (cold feels hot) about five years after the ingestion, suggesting long term neuronal degeneration. This led the Univ. of Hawaii to patent a test for red tide, a popsicle stick coated with whiteout laid against the flesh, which turns pink.

Dr. Patrick Wall, editor of the Textbook of Pain (and famous originator or the "gate theory" of pain, along with Ron Melzack) and initiator of painonline.com, once discussed studying the toxins (ciguatoxin, brevetoxin and others) in red tide as a model for Central Pain.

Now some scientists have theorized that one reason for whale beachings may be ingestion of phytoplankton with red tide toxins, leading to burning pain of their skin in the cold ocean water.

This is completely ridiculous. No disease could cause cold to burn. When will those whales get in touch with their mindbody connection and realize they are the cause of their own problem. Not being very religious, whales also fail to see God is "teaching them something THEY ALONE needed to learn", hence they are "LUCKY" and that to observers (all of them omniscient), they "LOOK GOOD", so obviously their pain is imaginary. Mammals take the cake for psychosomatic illness. Give them a teddy bear and they will head right back to the deep.
    Last edited by dejerine; 06-28-2011 at 11:58 AM.

I thought that whales were a bunch of whiners when it comes to pain. I have heard their screeching while driving on route 1 south of Carmel. I didn't realize they were complaining of burning and their mates and friends weren't listening or just fatigued at listening to the same complaint that won't go away.

Thanks , Dejerine for the post. Glad you are still around.

I've been saying for years that there'd be a lot fewer beachings if those whales would just find a hobby that would keep them busy and get their mind off of things.

The next time I am asked why I talk and think about Arndog and Dejerine so much, I will smile and refer the person who asked to this thread.

So good to hear from you, Dej!
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

NIH says they need to avoid stress.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

This is my first post even though I have read for alittle while now, and this thread is so funny it made me register.

Funny!!
    2012 SCINetUSA Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

i needed a smile thank you!