Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newer Handicapped Symbol

Newer Handicapped Symbol

I've seen this around a few places and have really like it. I found the website of the designer, Brendan Murphy, and thought it was an interesting read. Thought I'd share it.

About the Symbol

I designed this symbol in 1994 while a graduate student at the University of Cincinnati. I had been searching for a thesis subject and had come across an article by Paul Arthur calling for the redesign of the “handicap” symbol. My research was funded through a grant from the SEGD (Society for Environmental Graphic Design).

San Antonio was the first American city to formally adopt the symbol, and it has since inspired and been been used in sign programs by many leading corporations and public institutions including Williams College, Walmart, REI, and MOMA. People have sent me the symbol in use from far and wide including most recently Korea.

Symbols and language

When I looked into the meaning of the word “handicapped” (literally meaning cap in hand) I found it very disturbing. My dad grew up in Dublin around the corner from Christy Brown (My Left Foot), and his story had always inspired me. He fought to be seen for his artistic and intellectual abilities, and not to be defined by his physical disabilities. I saw this as an opportunity for design to redefine how people look at each other and at the world.

In designing this symbol I tried to be sensitive to both the message and the audience. Both in word and image I sought to move away from the label “Handicapped.” With the new symbol for accessibility, the person is no longer imprisoned by the chair–the chair is merely the vehicle with which he or she gains access.
    As an athlete in Dublin, I raced side by side with wheelchair athletes. I sought to capture the spirit and independence of these athletes in the symbol. The activity and movement are suggested with body positioning–the angle of the torso, and the “pushing position” of the arm. The goal is to portray an active, independent person, in sharp contrast to the former symbol which has been described as dependent, rigid and helpless.

His website here:
    http://accesssymbol.com/

Download jpg and eps files here:
    http://accesssymbol.com/downloads/Access_Murphy1994.zip
    Last edited by brian; 06-23-2011 at 03:17 AM.

Here's another one designed by Dresser Johnson:

Everything on the walls of the austere new MoMA has been carefully considered—down to the signage for finding basic amenities. Dresser Johnson was commissioned to design 17 icons for the museum’s renovation, several of which gently make over the U.S. Department of Transportation’s 1974 symbols, transforming those ubiquitous cucumber-limbed robots into characters with a pulse.

“The classic wheelchair icon is this drab, sad person connected to the chair,” designer Kevin Dresser says of one of the icons. “Their back could be the back of the chair as well. So I thought, let’s break him from the chair—not necessarily make the person a wheelchair athlete, but definitely in that direction—where it’s a little more exciting.”

This one by Dresser Johnson is the art deco style and is used in the Empire State Building in NYC:

Website here:
    http://www.dresserjohnson.com

My mum used to make us the exact same comfy big bean-bag chairs to watch TV in when we were kids.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkB701 View Post

My mum used to make us the exact same comfy big bean-bag chairs to watch TV in when we were kids.
    thats about what I was thinking
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

Or people might think it was reserved parking for people on SPACE HOPPERS???

Look....here are some more disabled people searching for an accessible toilet...

.....actually, I want to be a SPACE HOPPER.....

Thumbs up

Toilet Run Eeehhh ?

Boink Boink and Boink she just crapped herself
    Mark Rofl Bruce ooooh come on you both bout made me bust my gut laughing Silly great sense of humor hugs
    This is hilarius
    Thanks for making me laugh
    GL
    Last edited by GL; 06-23-2011 at 12:33 PM.

Well, it definitely looks like a sleeker version and gives the impression of movement instead of Mr. stick man just sitting there!

www.3Elove.com is my favorite version the the symbol so far. I love the message behind it and how it came to be. It's basically the handicap symbol but the wheel is a heart with the words Embrace, Empower, Educate above the picture...go check it out.
    Liza R. McCollum

the guy who runs 3ELove is a friend of a friend of mine. i love their site
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/